The First Gen Pickup/Hilux (79-83) Thread

grotto

Observer
Been following this thread to see if you'd buy the truck. Too bad the it didn't work out but it sounds like it was for the best. It's crazy what a beat up Toyota goes for. Tough when money is tight and you have responsibilities. I agree that a cheap commuter might be the way to go. Good luck and keep us posted.

Derek24

Explorer
Sounds like it would have been a lot of work. Why not buy a small commuter vehicle and keep the Cruiser for the offroad adventures? These first gens don't get that great of gas mileage, granted it is better than a Cruiser but not great unless they're in prestine mechanical shape then it's only like 21. Then add tires and weight it down with upgrades and it drops fast because of these weak 4cyls.

I agree. If your cruiser is paid for and equipped the way you like,keep it. You will not get the money back for the mods, and later on it will be more expensive to try and match what you had. You may miss the comforts of the big cruiser too. Just buy an older corolla and it will pay you back in no time.

Sempertoy

Explorer
I agree. If your cruiser is paid for and equipped the way you like,keep it. You will not get the money back for the mods, and later on it will be more expensive to try and match what you had. You may miss the comforts of the big cruiser too. Just buy an older corolla and it will pay you back in no time.

Yeah, I've also considered this. I guess it just comes down to the fact that I'm ready for a new vehicle. I always think the rig I have is the one I'll be buried in, but after a couple years I'm ready for a change. Better that it's vehicles and not women, am I right? ( should I or should I not say that to my wife when she gets mad that I talk about getting a new rig?)
I love my cruiser and it's incredibly capable. It's pretty much jack of all trades and master of none. I might try my hand with a more aggressive off-road vehicle and see where that takes me.

Here is the first gen I am thinking of getting.
e7a3yryg.jpg

7ydade3y.jpg

It's an 80, 20R. 5.29"s locked front and rear. Dual cases 2.28 and a 4.7, interior cage, bed was bobbed 18" it's not quite "expo" material but it looks like a lot of fun.

Last edited:

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Here is the first gen I am thinking of getting.
e7a3yryg.jpg

7ydade3y.jpg

It's an 80, 20R. 5.29"s locked front and rear. Dual cases 2.28 and a 4.7, interior cage, bed was bobbed 18"

That is a really nice truck.

it's not quite "expo" material but it looks like a lot of fun.

Dude, "expo" is just a state of mind. You don't have to have a rig with a bunch of crap hanging off of it to "look expo". It is the travel, and the memories of that travel. Don't get trapped into the "expo" world of having to have it all. Some of my best trips have been solo on my dirt bike with a bivy sack, some food, water, and gas. Sure, I don't have some super farkled GS, but when I lay my XR down, I don't have to cry about scratching my newest whatever that everyone was oohing and ahhing over.

Sempertoy

Explorer
That is a really nice truck.

Dude, "expo" is just a state of mind. You don't have to have a rig with a bunch of crap hanging off of it to "look expo". It is the travel, and the memories of that travel. Don't get trapped into the "expo" world of having to have it all. Some of my best trips have been solo on my dirt bike with a bivy sack, some food, water, and gas. Sure, I don't have some super farkled GS, but when I lay my XR down, I don't have to cry about scratching my newest whatever that everyone was oohing and ahhing over.

Thank you! Some people just don't get it!I realize that when one posts something in the internet to be seen and analyzed by (mostly) complete strangers, they open the door for other peoples opinions. I won't try and justify getting rid of my cruiser for a pickup to anyone. It's just time for something different. Long term plan is when I finish school, I'll be able to turn this into strictly a weekender and not feel bad about it, and I'll get into a 100 series or a D-cab taco for my DD.

Jon

Zatara

Adventurer
I see a few have mentioned using OME suspension on your first gen trucks. I can't find a listing for their parts anywhere.
Does OME still make shocks and springs for first gens ?

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
Long term plan is when I finish school, I'll be able to turn this into strictly a weekender and not feel bad about it, and I'll get into a 100 series or a D-cab taco for my DD.

My exact plan but I'll buy a Tundra to pull a boat and stuff with. My rig will then get bobbed 8", linked, and locked. It'll be still be on Toyota axles and no bigger than 35s. I want to keep it DDable but extremely capable at the same time. Something around this but with coils instead of leafs and my truck will stay tan:

117D1408-4BAA-48A9-8566-DC47FA5981E0.jpg

That's Max-4 Yota's rig on TW to give him credit.

And people like to class "ExPo" rigs as slightly modded vehicles to go on long trips but extremely modded vehicles can be just as capable on sustained trips if the driver is passionate about her rig, like most of us. Take the Rot Box for example, his old Toyota is lifted a lot and on 35s, I think, but he has traveled all over the west in it. It's all personal preference. Personally I'm cool with sleeping in a ground tent and driving a heavily modified rig that will go anywhere and just have fun.

Oh, and my headgasket blew today. Woohoo......

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
I see a few have mentioned using OME suspension on your first gen trucks. I can't find a listing for their parts anywhere.
Does OME still make shocks and springs for first gens ?

Any OME/ARB distributer can get them for you. Go to ARBs website and you can get all the part numbers through a suspension PDF. I got mine through 4wheelparts.

Toyotero

Explorer

That is pretty sweet.
Personally, I would have done something different with the front bumper, probably go for all stock look or ARB, but it's a pretty unique rig and probably drives 10X smootherthan the original truck. Too bad the builder didn't keep the solid front axle and go coilovers :-D

Quoted for posterity.
$_12[1].JPG $_12[1].JPG

I have to sell my 1980. It is very unfortunate. She has been an awesome pleasure in my life. It's a sad day, but I hope she finds a great new home.

1980 Toyota 4x4 pickup
3.4 L 5VZ V6
5 speed manual R150F (used to be auto)
2002 Tacoma double cab chassis
Independent front suspension
8.4" Tacoma rear diff and axle (open)
Driverside airbag
Intermittent variable speed Tacoma wipers
Central locking (with remote)
Tacoma instrument cluster
US model (frame has very little rust and in great shape)
1982 grill and headlights
137, 250 miles on engine and chassis (219, 600 km)
Shift on the fly 4 high
Completely plumbed and set up for AC (just needs refrigerant)
Wired for cruise control (just needs module)
Single cab with bench seat and cup holders
New 16" all terrain Goodyear tires ($1000 value)
Flatbed with aluminum toolbox

This has been an extremely reliable truck and whether you need a daily driver, a work truck or a project, I am very sure that you will be amazed and very happy with it. The body is now 34 years old, so as expected, it's getting rusty. There are a few other little things that require some tinkering with and I have unfortunately never made the time to do all the things I wanted to get to. I have to sell the truck because I am moving away. I believe she is worth a lot more than what I am asking, especially if you take into consideration that you could one day put a double cab Tacoma body back onto her. So I am coming in as low as I possible could for a quick sale. $3500 OBO.

Last edited:

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
I don't like it at all. Doesn't count as a 1st gen IMO. It's a Tacoma with a swapped cab and front clip.

Sempertoy

Explorer
My exact plan but I'll buy a Tundra to pull a boat and stuff with. My rig will then get bobbed 8", linked, and locked. It'll be still be on Toyota axles and no bigger than 35s. I want to keep it DDable but extremely capable at the same time. Something around this but with coils instead of leafs and my truck will stay tan:

117D1408-4BAA-48A9-8566-DC47FA5981E0.jpg

That's Max-4 Yota's rig on TW to give him credit.

And people like to class "ExPo" rigs as slightly modded vehicles to go on long trips but extremely modded vehicles can be just as capable on sustained trips if the driver is passionate about her rig, like most of us. Take the Rot Box for example, his old Toyota is lifted a lot and on 35s, I think, but he has traveled all over the west in it. It's all personal preference. Personally I'm cool with sleeping in a ground tent and driving a heavily modified rig that will go anywhere and just have fun.

Oh, and my headgasket blew today. Woohoo......

Yeah man, I think we are on the same train of thought. That's a nice looking truck right there. Very well done.
Too bad about the hg, but didn't you say you picked up an extra 20r on the cheap?

Clutch

<---Pass
That is pretty sweet.
Personally, I would have done something different with the front bumper, probably go for all stock look or ARB, but it's a pretty unique rig and probably drives 10X smootherthan the original truck. Too bad the builder didn't keep the solid front axle and go coilovers :-D

It is a little cobbled for my taste....though it could be helped. Like you said change the bumper, I would do a 2.5 lift (or SAS it)..perhaps import a double HiLux cab from OZ.

IMG00231-20120320-1909.jpg

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
Yeah man, I think we are on the same train of thought. That's a nice looking truck right there. Very well done.
Too bad about the hg, but didn't you say you picked up an extra 20r on the cheap?

Unfortunately, It's a later model 22r.. Not gonna suit my needs right now. I bought it to sell and make money on honestly. It's not a big deal to just pop in a new HG. I've done it a bajillion times. I'll do a complete rebuild this summer when I finish up my suspension.

Derek24

Explorer
It is a little cobbled for my taste....though it could be helped. Like you said change the bumper, I would do a 2.5 lift (or SAS it)..perhaps import a double HiLux cab from OZ.

IMG00231-20120320-1909.jpg

Ahhh man i want that!!!! We don't get anything cool over here....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger