The First Gen Pickup/Hilux (79-83) Thread

Clutch

<---Pass
Ahhh man i want that!!!! We don't get anything cool over here....
Import one! Shoot you just up the road from a port. Exchange rate is in our favor right now.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toyota-H...8638252?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item2a38a007ac&_uhb=1

I just sold my VW to a gentleman in the Netherlands, granted I was on the seller's side of the sale...it was relatively painless.

He used this company to ship and handle the escrow. http://www.cfrrinkens.com/

$_57.JPG

Last edited:

Derek24

Explorer
Import one! Shoot you just up the road from a port. Exchange rate is in our favor right now.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toyota-H...8638252?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item2a38a007ac&_uhb=1

I just sold my VW to a gentleman in the Netherlands, granted I was on the seller's side of the sale...it was relatively painless.

He used this company to ship and handle the escrow. http://www.cfrrinkens.com/

$_57.JPG

Now that would be even more tempting if I didn't live in CA. Trying to register and smog something from another country would be nightmare!

Clutch

<---Pass
Now that would be even more tempting if I didn't live in CA. Trying to register and smog something from another country would be nightmare!

doh! Living in AZ...I forget about smog...I am moving to Idaho...don't need it up there either.

thefatkid

Observer
I see a few have mentioned using OME suspension on your first gen trucks. I can't find a listing for their parts anywhere.
Does OME still make shocks and springs for first gens ?

Because the suspension is about the same, use the part numbers off of the 84-85 pickup/hilux. That is what I used. The rear springs are the only issue, too stiff unloaded.

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
Well my headgasket finally went out I was hoping it would wait till summer so I could do a full rebuild.. Pulled the head last night an will get it all back together today. Gonna change the leaky timing cover gasket while I'm at it.

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
Well I just got my truck running again today and it's purring like a kitten. Ran into several complications with burnt valves and waitin on parts, but I'm a persistent son of a gun and it running great now! Headed out for the night! Hope everyone at ExPo is having a good weekend!

SpongeX

Rust does a body good.
I can't remember if I ever put my truck in here. I'll have to go back through and see when I'm on my computer.

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
I think you did, but put it in again.

I put a Weber 32/36 on this last week and it's so nice! Plus I finally have everything I need to lift my truck so it's going on as soon as my spring bushings come in (I ordered the wrong ones).

Here's a run down:
79-83 OME stock load front leafs
89-95 rear medium leafs
12" Bilstein 5125s all around
F250 shock towers
Longer shackles front and rear.
Drop pitman arm (soon the be high steer)
Moving the axle forward 1"-1.5" and planning to run 35's.

I know 35s are a stretch with OME but my friend just put it on and we threw some spare 35's on it and it's close, but if I move the axle we think they will fit with just a little trimming.

My exact plan but I'll buy a Tundra to pull a boat and stuff with. My rig will then get bobbed 8", linked, and locked. It'll be still be on Toyota axles and no bigger than 35s. I want to keep it DDable but extremely capable at the same time. Something around this but with coils instead of leafs and my truck will stay tan:

117D1408-4BAA-48A9-8566-DC47FA5981E0.jpg

That's Max-4 Yota's rig on TW to give him credit.

My first post here, I was thumbing through here and saw a picture of my truck. I was jogging through my memory trying to remember when I put it on here. :confused: Then I realized I was never a member. :Wow1: Have to say I'm a little surprised someone thinks my pile is cool. :D

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
My first post here, I was thumbing through here and saw a picture of my truck. I was jogging through my memory trying to remember when I put it on here. :confused: Then I realized I was never a member. :Wow1: Have to say I'm a little surprised someone thinks my pile is cool. :D

I love your truck man! I just love the bobbed bed!

And I have the same User Name on TacomaWorld. I usually talk to Jacob (Gear Head) a good bit over there and on FB sometimes. I'd love to make a trip up to the Uwharrie with y'all one day.

SpongeX

Rust does a body good.
The Bob job on your truck is much nicer than mine. I really like the color too. Someday mine will be one color.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman