The folks that sell the Flip Pac

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I used to have a small construction business and it did very well despite intense competition for business. What was the secret to our success? I called back everyone who left me a phone message, even if I was booked for months and couldn't do the work. The biggest complaint these potential customers had was no one called them back.

Many of them decided to wait until we were available to do the work for them rather than continue to make calls that would be unanswered.

It's my experience that people just want to be kept in the loop regardless of if the news is good or bad.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Frp

...snip... You just have to keep calling...snip

...snip... Took a bit longer than expected to get it, but since then they have taken care of every single issue/part needed for me without charge...snip...

I bought mine from AT for all the reasons voiced here, and although my dealings with FRP via phone or email are not on par with AT, FRP's (Diane's) customer service when I was actually there at FRP in Riverside was pretty good. I had some work done to mine at the factory there and she even lent me her car for the day since it was going to be a while. Each time I have been there they have treated me like a VIP :)

FRP is old school (look at their website :Wow1:) and is just not that phone or internet oriented because the bulk of their business is "Fiberglass Reinforced Products".... the FlipPac is Homer's side gig/hobby/pet project. Their customer service at the plant however, and after the sale, is great IMO but they do need office help IMO.

I used to have a small construction business and it did very well despite intense competition for business. What was the secret to our success? I called back everyone who left me a phone message, even if I was booked for months and couldn't do the work. The biggest complaint these potential customers had was no one called them back.

Many of them decided to wait until we were available to do the work for them rather than continue to make calls that would be unanswered.

It's my experience that people just want to be kept in the loop regardless of if the news is good or bad.

That's good business leadership ;)

newmexflippacker

omg...yes the website! and I was talking to Homer because I am a graphic designer asking if he wanted me to revamp his Flip Pac Flyer for them...that I would barter if he wanted me to...as far as Diana goes, she is very nice...and she was very helpful when I called her from New Mexico and was searching for a used flip pac...she was honest about telling me what to look out for when I checked em out...but it would be must easier to be upfront and honest and to have a sense of what the perception of the customer turns to when calls don't get returned...regardless of their business mentality...if the Flip Pac was the only business, I guarantee the level of customer service would bounce thru the roof...enuf said

locrwln

Expedition Leader
So Martyn,

Is AT going to try and convince FRP to use better canvas so that a rainfly is not needed? That is the one thing that I don't like (besides their customer service) about FP's. I think it is a great product that needs refinement and someone to actually take it to the next level, both in construction and service.

Jack

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
So Martyn,

Is AT going to try and convince FRP to use better canvas so that a rainfly is not needed? That is the one thing that I don't like (besides their customer service) about FP's. I think it is a great product that needs refinement and someone to actually take it to the next level, both in construction and service.

Jack

Jack

Even if we could convince FRP to do this I don't think their choice of fabric or the quality of sewing would be up to our standards. The way we intend to moving ahead on this would be to manufacture our own tents. These would either replace existing tent structures or come as standard with the AT FlipPac.

There is a lot going on behind the scenes on this front. We want to learn more from what's happening with the Habitat tent before we move on the AT FlipPac tent.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Even if we could convince FRP to do this I don't think their choice of fabric or the quality of sewing would be up to our standards. The way we intend to moving ahead on this would be to manufacture our own tents. These would either replace existing tent structures or come as standard with the AT FlipPac.

There is a lot going on behind the scenes on this front. We want to learn more from what's happening with the Habitat tent before we move on the AT FlipPac tent.

I hope after you sort out the Habitat and APFP tents, you'll be open to the notion of other "custom" tents. Sooner or later the tent fabric on my GTRV pop-top transplant is going to need replacing (after 15 years in the PNW, a transplant operation, and a second life in SoCal, I can't expect it to last forever), and I'd really rather tackle that project with a partner who has done a few expedition tents already. Of course having an existing tent to use as a template should help, but I still don't want to tackle this alone!

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Jack

Glad to hear there are other options/ideas being tried. Looking forward to any improvements AT can make to the FP.

You can only do better.

Jack

newmexflippacker

The rainfly prototype I purchased from SLO sail and canvas arrives today..and then tomorrow it gets the full nikwax treatment...then we are off to Moab next week

magushi

Still waiting.......

I am experiencing first hand every example of frustration that's been posted in this thread. I ordered a Flip Pac back in march and I'm still waiting for delivery. I liked the idea of the Flip Pac but was skeptical from the start because of the cost. 4000K seems like a lot of cash for what boils down to a glorified tent. I decided to pay a little extra by ordering mine through Adventure Trailers in Prescott, AZ because they are a lot closer to Albuquerque and also the AT units are built to their own specifications and better tailored for off road.

Anyway, my wife and I have been repeatedly calling and emailing both FRP and AT about a delivery date and have been rewarded with nothing but runaround and mis information and we still have no confidence in an actual delivery. I agree with others in this thread that the guys at AT are at least responsive and appear genuinely frustrated themselves but they are also apparently helpless and at the mercy of FRP when it comes to delivering to their customers and, frankly, I am buying the unit from AT. THEY are the ones who took my order. THEY are the ones who took my deposit. THEY are the ones who should ensuring they can deliver to their customers or at least offer a reasonable explanation and possible compensation for the repeated delays.

I apologize for the rant but we were told to expect ten weeks for delivery and I believe we have now entered week 17. We have now rescheduled our vacation trip three times in hopes of getting our camper and it still looks as if we will have to take the trip without it because we can't reschedule a fourth time and yet.... still no Flip Pac. I have since reached the point that I have serious doubts about the overall quality and workmanship of the product. If the manufacturers customer service and management/scheduling skills are any indication, then one has to question quality control as well. Again, 4000K for a camper shell with a tent...and probably poorly made. And on top of that it's going to take half a year to get it!

I'm seriously thinking i should get my money back asap.

trump

Adventurist
Just an FYI AT has stopped taking orders for the time being for this reason. I'm frustrated, but happy that AT is being honest and trying to keep customers happy. Hopefully they can work this out soon, so I can get mine on order.

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
Man, I can understand that you're upset. Waiting well beyond the stated delivery for something to be delivered that you ordered AND paid a deposit on is maddening. (Ask me about my rack.) But for this to be your first post on the Forum is a bit tacky IMHO. Why not have joined back when you ordered the Flippac and been telling us about yourself and letting the community learn about you. Ranting on a company owned and staffed by fellow members as an introduction won't get you very far.

Not trying to minimize your situation, but why should we care or even give credence to your rant. We don't know you at all.

JoelCragAz

Still Waiting Also

Just found this post. I ordered my Flippac on Jan. 24, 2011 and as of today it is still not on my truck. Some good news is that it is going to be installed on Monday, July 18, 2011. Almost six months! I fell your pain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78