The housewife explorers who climbed the Himalayas

Michael Slade

Untitled
I have three new heroes.

st_explorers2.jpg

taco2go

Explorer
Thanks for the link!
Unfortunately Kashmir and many parts of Punjab are still 'inaccessible' due to political turmoil.
Loved the video...and Ovaltine..good stuff.

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
A most excellent adventure!
Thanks for the links! I love stories like this!

safari.gif

articulate

Expedition Leader
What a fantastic story. I love this kind of thing.

It seems to me that this is how many of my planning sessions go:
. . . after lunch the men went upstairs to discuss their expedition, and the wives talked about what they would do in the four months they would spend alone. Someone suggested they catch the bus from Liverpool to Delhi. From here, the idea snowballed, and when their husbands reappeared Davies announced, 'We're going to have an expedition of our own!' 'And to our amazement, they said, "What a good idea."'​

DaktariEd

Just finished the video.
What an outstanding story!
Sadly, Ms. Davies, died just 2 weeks after the film producer interviewed her.
Or was it fortunate? A great legacy for her family I'd say...

safari.gif

Last edited:

DaktariEd

It's a disease!
I see a great story, I search for a book, frequently finding a copy somewhere in the world.
Here's the book published in 1960 by one of the women on the expedition. Just arrived yesterday from Australia.
It's a fun read so far.

safari.gif

DavidG

Adventurer
DaktariEd said:
It's a disease!
I see a great story, I search for a book, frequently finding a copy somewhere in the world.
Here's the book published in 1960 by one of the women on the expedition. Just arrived yesterday from Australia.
It's a fun read so far.

safari.gif

That's great to see. I agree, it is a disease. It seems each travel/expedition book I pick up ends up pointing me to the next in some weird sort of way. I will have to search for it as well once I get through the stack I have. Post up your impressions when you finish it.
-David

timaus13

Observer
Uplifting Story

Wonder why it has taken so long for this amazing and may I add Gutsy group of Ladies so long to be recognised for their Amazing Adventure.
More, More, More pls, pls,:safari-rig:
PS I could see my wife driving of in Shrek to camp out on her own on day.
Brave girl my missus:):safari-rig:

articulate

Expedition Leader
It didn't necessarily take a long time for the story to be recognized, as it was well recognized in its day. At the fifty year benchmark, many good stories undergo resurgence. And this one is fifty years old.

:archaeolo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger