The Little 2TRFE That Could..

Jeff H

Adventurer
Awesome thread! I'm pretty jealous of the scenery out there! I live on the wrong coast..

How do you like the OMD springs? I've been contemplating building a set to compliment my Icons up front.

jeverich

Luddite
Awesome thread! I'm pretty jealous of the scenery out there! I live on the wrong coast..

How do you like the OMD springs? I've been contemplating building a set to compliment my Icons up front.

That was one of the first things that I noticed when I first came out to the West Coast from Rhode Island in 2011. It's gorgeous!

I really like the OMD springs. They're cheap, effective and totally customizable. Ride improvement was drastically better then the add-a-leaf that I had been running before.

Oh, and those lights on the front bumper are just the el cheapo "Kragen" 55 Watt HIDs. Work great. They're affordable. And throw more light than the "brand name" light bars that cost 10x more.

owyheerat

Adventurer
Jake, I have read all the way thru your thread twice. I love your truck and all the mods you have done. Really like the new 'lower' rack you made for RTT. Nice work! I have a 99 4runner with the little 2.7l and 5spd...love the combo. I am currently open/open diff's, and really want to install ARB's front and rear. Are you still happy with 4.88's? Would you do it again?

Thanks
Durwin

jeverich

Luddite
Jake, I have read all the way thru your thread twice. I love your truck and all the mods you have done. Really like the new 'lower' rack you made for RTT. Nice work! I have a 99 4runner with the little 2.7l and 5spd...love the combo. I am currently open/open diff's, and really want to install ARB's front and rear. Are you still happy with 4.88's? Would you do it again?

Thanks
Durwin

Thank you for the positive compliments; it means a great deal to me! I like the truck, and feel as though it's a pretty good balance of practical modifications. Sure, it's not as fancy as many of the other Tacoma's that are on here, but I have a strong disdain for "too much" superfluous stuff on my rigs.

4.88s.

Yes. Totally worth it. I'm not sure as to the weight variation between you 4Runner and my Tacoma, but I know that the addition of 4.88s improved the overall "feel" of the truck remarkably.

Honestly, I don't know if I'd go to the same shop to have the gears installed. Looking back on it, I felt like I was pretty much bent over on the overall price of everything; and I've had to go back and fix quite a few things that were not done right upon initial install. PM me for more details.

Happy with the rear locker; not so sure that a front locker is worth it (for me). Our front ends are already a weak point, I feel as though adding a differential locker only increases the propensity to snap a CV joint. YMMV. I'm having a couple issues with the integrity of o-rings in my rear ARB (it's the older RD89 unit), however - as usual, ARB's technical support has been fantastic - and I'm hoping to install in the retrofit o-rings within the not so distant future. Basically, ARB severely underestimated the amount of deflection under load that's within the 8.4" differential. Therefore, the whole sealing surface of the RD89 locker twists under power. Meaning no air seal. No worries, though - ARB completely re-designed the newer (RD129?) - you won't have any of these issues.

Let me know if you've got any more questions,

Jake

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
Glad to see that you still have the truck.

I have read these posting several times over the years. Good stuff.
Always glad to bump into some one else who has the 2.7 and uses their truck for truck stuff. It really is a great little motor.
How many mile you have on the rig now?
I just turned 60 k on my five speed 4x4 regular cab hoping for many more to come.

If all else fails, keep posting those trip photos
strong work
td

jeverich

Luddite
Thanks td -

Amazing how large the audience is here; again, I'm flattered.

Just rolled over past 152,000 miles. Not bad, considering I purchased in 2010 @ 65,000 miles (or thereabouts).

owyheerat

Adventurer
Jake,

I'm with you, I searched a long time to find a base model SR5 that had the 2.7l 5spd, clothe seats, and as few 'bells' as possible (on a 4runner). Mine does have power windows (wish it had crank), but I don't think that was an option for that gen of 4runner. My point is I wanted it a basic as possible.

I'm sure my 4runner is a little heavier than your truck, just due to the design. And it is a little heavier now. I added sliders, an AOR plate bumper with warn M8000s winch, full set of Shrockworks skids, and a modified Safari rack. When I bought it, it had 225/65r15 (only the base models came with 15" wheels and tires), I found some used 16" 4runner wheels on Craigslist, painted them black (isn't that required...haha), and mounted a set of 235/85R16 (32" pizza cutters) Duratracs. I have been happy with them, but I think I want to go 255/85R16.

Sorry for the long reply, just giving background of why I'm thinking re-gear (4.88's) at the same time of ARB install. My 4runner is not my DD, and I'm not naive enough to think going taller gears will make it a 'sports car'. When I get in my 4runner, (always to go to the hills), I'm not in a hurry...so I don't need it to go fast. I am thinking taller gears for 2 reasons. One: just be nice to have a little lower gears on the trails, (to help crawl over, around things), and two: to help offset some of the extra weight I've added. Also, I agree with you that a front locker will probably rarely get used, but I figure since its gonna be opened up for gears, now is the time to add it, if I'm ever going to. I plan on purchasing complete 3rd members (front and rear) from East Coast Gear Supply, and installing them myself.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. And sorry to hi-jack your thread. I thought this info might be helpful to someone else, as well.

Cheers

Durwin

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
if you do take it back up, I think I speak for all of us when I say looking forward to hearing and seeing more.
good luck with the summer season
td

jeverich

Luddite
if you do take it back up, I think I speak for all of us when I say looking forward to hearing and seeing more.
good luck with the summer season
td

Thanks for the kind words. I've been so bogged down with fishing and boat stuff lately, that my truck has been entirely off of my radar. Funny, driving a boat through a tight channel sideways in the dark with 45 knots of wind and 8 knots of opposing tide is relative cakewalk compared to Moab.

Maybe I'm ill...?

Going to try and put another article together soon, though.

jeverich

Luddite
I am about to buy a 4runner with the 2.7, anything worth noting? 5spd.

Hmm.. Don't try and pass someone on a two lane road unless you can see the oncoming traffic for at least a few miles.

I've done that move a couple of times, it's rather embarrassing and slightly dangerous to maneuver into the passing lane - only to find out you don't have any more "pep" left.

Don't be afraid to get into the higher RPM range with that engine.

I know my rig has a magic speed. 65 MPH. Gas mileage goes down drastically after that point. Maintain a constant speed as best you can, and I'd imagine you'll see 20's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179