The Lump: Long Distance Comfort in LHD

SkiWill

Has anyone spent a long time, like 8+ hours in the passenger seat in a LHD Grenadier? Based on this review, and the many comments, it seems like it would be a dealbreaker on RHD. Still, if it's that annoying in RHD, it makes me think it would still be noticeable in LHD:

86scotty

Cynic
You are correct. Not a problem for LHD's. A close friend of mine has been anxiously awaiting his LHD Grenadier for a few months. We've discussed this at length. I watched ASPW's video above and I think it is absolutely valid concerning RHD models. It seems like Ineos is going to have to address this, work with BMW and move the turbo. Seems like it would be fairly simple.

But, to answer your question, the 'accursed lump' is exactly like the driver's footwell in any domestic full size van. Pick one, brand doesn't matter, age doesn't matter. The driver's floor is exactly like the Ineos footwell due to the left front wheelwell, and the reverse on the right. I'm used to them so it's never bothered me, and working around them for years and years with hundreds of drivers I've never heard anyone complain about them, come to think of it.

Sid Post

Observer
Has anyone spent a long time, like 8+ hours in the passenger seat in a LHD Grenadier? Based on this review, and the many comments, it seems like it would be a dealbreaker on RHD. Still, if it's that annoying in RHD, it makes me think it would still be noticeable in LHD:

If people want to focus on this, they can make it a real deal breaker.

I am in my late-50's so, growing up on a farm likely makes me view things a bit differently than many. That "lump" for me as a passenger is at most, a minor annoyance and personally, I think I would overlook it with any length of time in the passenger seat. To me, it looks almost like the "clutch pedal" footrest on automatic transmission vehicles that were so common years ago. For the Mall Crawler crowd coming from a Lexus LX-570, probably a deal breaker but, is that really a target market?

chet6.7

Explorer
I wish I had one to complain about.
I did rent a Jeep Liberty, the tunnel hump extended into the floor area where I put my right foot on long drives. I did not like it, I don't know if I could get used to it or not.

utherjorge

Observer

Another inexplicable own goal. The hits keep coming. Huge problem for the defined target customer in North America. And for the people that want to compare a bespoke brand-new SUV to a decades-old collection of vans and their "shut up and get back to work, plebe" ergonomics, that's some serious kool-aid drinkin' ya got there, man.

86scotty

Cynic
Another inexplicable own goal. The hits keep coming. Huge problem for the defined target customer in North America. And for the people that want to compare a bespoke brand-new SUV to a decades-old collection of vans and their "shut up and get back to work, plebe" ergonomics, that's some serious kool-aid drinkin' ya got there, man.

Was that aimed at me? I'm genuinely confused.

Sid Post

Observer
Was that aimed at me? I'm genuinely confused.

No, I think it is a swipe at the Aussie presenter in the YouTube video. A bit much for me but, a valid data point.

If I was in Australia I would be all over one of the new Toyota Series 70 Land Cruisers! That new 2.0T and Aisin Automatic look like a good option for an Overlander there.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
It seems like Ineos is going to have to address this, work with BMW and move the turbo. Seems like it would be fairly simple.

While that sounds simple, that kind of Engineering change, testing and validation is quickly tens of millions of dollars for an OEM.

It's why the 3.0 Ecodiesel is not sold in the Wrangler or Gladiator RHD markets - the turbo is in the way of the steering, and the cost to re-engineer it exceeds the revenue they'll make selling them.

-Dan

86scotty

Cynic
I agree but it seems like an odd choice for an OEM on a new vehicle that is designed by a RHD country to be sold in many RHD countries, especially as a new venture. But I was wrong anyway, It's not the turbo that is in the way. We had an IG on my lift a few days ago and it is the frame and cats that are really in the way. I've already spent a few hundred miles in the passenger seat of this truck and can confirm it won't be a problem for US folks (as in, passengers) at all.

It's a quirky truck but my friend, the owner, is quickly falling in love. The most odd thing to me about it is the odd B pillar placement which is unusually far forward and the lack of armrests on the driver's doors.

Copple

I had a new Defender before selling it for the Grenadier. The B pillar in the ND was even further forward, enough so that I couldn’t comfortable rest my arm on the door with the window down without it hitting my humerus in weird spot. The shelf in the Grenadier with the window doubles as an arm rest. It’s nice and flat vs the rounded window sill of the ND if that makes sense.

The RHD bump has something to do with the routing of the exhaust as you’ve alluded to.

Yes it’s quirky, or has character for those who love it. Still enjoying mine!

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
While that sounds simple, that kind of Engineering change, testing and validation is quickly tens of millions of dollars for an OEM.

It's why the 3.0 Ecodiesel is not sold in the Wrangler or Gladiator RHD markets - the turbo is in the way of the steering, and the cost to re-engineer it exceeds the revenue they'll make selling them.

-Dan
Then it sounds like an opportunity for a auto fabrication/builder shop to off a lift and modification to that floor.

Junx

I agree but it seems like an odd choice for an OEM on a new vehicle that is designed by a RHD country to be sold in many RHD countries, especially as a new venture. But I was wrong anyway, It's not the turbo that is in the way. We had an IG on my lift a few days ago and it is the frame and cats that are really in the way. I've already spent a few hundred miles in the passenger seat of this truck and can confirm it won't be a problem for US folks (as in, passengers) at all.

It's a quirky truck but my friend, the owner, is quickly falling in love. The most odd thing to me about it is the odd B pillar placement which is unusually far forward and the lack of armrests on the driver's doors.

As has been mentioned - the door IS the arm rest, and is quite substantial.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Then it sounds like an opportunity for a auto fabrication/builder shop to off a lift and modification to that floor.
You think they'll get many customers willing to nullify their new car warranty like that?

Also if there are parts in the way, the floor can't simply be modified withing first re-engineering and moving the offending parts...

-Dan

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
You think they'll get many customers willing to nullify their new car warranty like that?

Also if there are parts in the way, the floor can't simply be modified withing first re-engineering and moving the offending parts...

-Dan

You should watch Motor Trend TV and Texas Metal, that guy can jack that new vehicle up and flatten that floor in no time, or slam it to bounce off the ground.

It doesn't cost as much for a fabricator in a garage to modify a vehicle as it does a manufacture, regardless what is done.

Use the "Disabilities Act" to modify your new vehicle, change the foot controls, bring the seat back, extend the steering shaft and you can get more foot room. And, by law, it won't void the warranty.

86scotty

Cynic
As has been mentioned - the door IS the arm rest, and is quite substantial.

The awkward B pillar makes the door a useless armrest if you have your seat back very far. It's a shame because it's nice and wide.
I'm 6'2" but typically sit more forward than most people I know, even shorter people. It's still in the way, and it's way too high anyway.

Go measure the height of the center console armrest and then the difference in height of the window sill on the door. Way different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle