The Midnight Rider, Take Two

KD2IUS

Ken
Hey there, hi there, ho there...

Since my last visit here, my '98 E350 EB 7.3 had gone out of my hands for a bit while I tried to go down a different road vehicle wise. Well, true love overcomes all, and it found its way back into my driveway, for good this time. A bit strange to be the second AND fourth owners of a vehicle, perhaps, but I digress.

The name comes from my preference for night driving, well, the night in general over the day, if ye be wondering.

Anywho, here are some things that I've gotten done so far...
IMG_0382.jpg
New Keystone/LKQ grille and Dorman solid-color turn signal lenses...split color was *blech*

IMG_0387.jpg
Added a ScanGauge II, currently set to monitor Tachometer, Engine Oil Temp, Turbo Boost, and fuel pressure measured at the ICP.

IMG_0396.jpg
Replaced worn-out OEM springs with Moog CC81366s, and Monroe Gas-Magnums...lifted the front end back up about an inch.

IMG_0397.jpg
And as it sits now.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

OK, so to rehash my plans for this rig:

Respray to Dark Metallic Blue w/ a Black Lower Accent
Insulation, soundproofing, and recovering of interior panels, ceilings, and floors...recommendations and thoughts MUCH appreciated.
Custom layout including sideways-lay rear bed (approx. queen size), shelves/cabinets, maybe two rear buckets
4" lift w/ rear LSD swap and 2" receiver-mount winch up front
2m and CB radio install
Grille Guard with driving lights
LT235/85R16 on Super Duty Alcoa Wheels
2009+ console and front door panel swap
Lund-style visor, hand in hand with some chicken lighting
On-board diesel-fed generator/inverter w/ 120V/12V hookups, TV, fridge, etc.
On-board air compressor for bumping tire PSI and air horns (don't roll your eyes like that)
Set up high idle to dash-mounted switch
Plus a couple other cool, nice ideas...

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Done so far, but no pictures:

HPOP and Fuel Bowl Re-seal (thanks to http://www.dieselorings.com for the kit)
Two new starting batteries w/ replacement battery terminals
New windshield

Rear interior is currently stripped while I chase down water leaks. Sealed three gutter leaks on the left and rear, now I have one somewhere on the passenger side (definitely not CHMSL, possibly window seal)...if I can't find it, the garden hose will. Once I have that wrapped up, the interior overhaul can begin in earnest.

I also have an oil leak SOMEWHERE, I cannot for the life of me track it down...contemplating either UV dye or just saying **** it and let the shop play hide-and-find-so-I-can-fix-it. Not severe, but definitely annoying.

Alrighty, that's it for now. Thanks for sticking through and reading my novella. Much more to come, like the sig says, a bit here and there...

IMG_0213.jpg
My two companions on their 1st birthday last month, Molly and Chloe...they LOVEDED their birthday cupcake. The (very tolerant and patient) significant other in the picture prefers to avoid the limelight...

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
4632-albums830-picture29048.jpg

I had a blue one very similar to yours and I love that color. It was a 2005 but with the V10... fast rocket.

djbonsu

Adventurer
Congrats on the reunion! Re: your oil leak, is the drip coming from where the tranny and motor meet?

KD2IUS

Ken
Got a part number/cost for those Dorman turn signal housings? I hate my two tone ones.

image.jpg
Top and bottom ones are it, straight from the RockAuto Catalog. Always a good experience with them, never had a problem. They're listed for a 2003, but they attach the same on mine, the screws are T15 heads.

Last edited:

KD2IUS

Ken
Congrats on the reunion! Re: your oil leak, is the drip coming from where the tranny and motor meet?

Right now it looks like a bit higher up, it drips onto the filter and pan mostly. I'm gonna toss some dye in it this week and hopefully solve it once and for all. Don't know if it's related, but the oil pressure gauge starts out fine and will peg at max after about ten minutes of driving. I do know they're not to be trusted generally, but I'm wondering if a leaking sending unit could be my culprit.

KD2IUS

Ken
4632-albums830-picture29048.jpg

I had a blue one very similar to yours and I love that color. It was a 2005 but with the V10... fast rocket.

The 7.3 is a powerhouse but the diesels were definitely not designed for the 1/4 mile...once its rolling though, its like a freight train. I've driven a couple V10s but they were in F350s...still moved the mass rather impressively.

I do like the Wedgewood Blue...it's not that common on the vans. I'm planning on a respray in the next year or so, and am either going to keep this shade or go darker blue--like your '05 there--and do a black lower accent, cutting off at the lower body ridge there.

By the way, really digging the rims on your former ride there. I'm keeping an eye out for a set of original Alcoas myself...

KD2IUS

Ken
IMG_0421.jpg
Behold, the original doghouse console. Not particularly impressive, especially since it let my coffee mug routinely escape and wander throughout the vehicle :violent-smiley-031:

IMG_0420.jpg
And now, behold its replacement! :wings: Brand new, designed for the '09-'14 vans. Direct swap, bought off a Cali-based Ford dealer for over 60% off MSRP. Man, I love eBay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78