The 'ole headlight question

Ninewon

Searcher
Hello everyone . I'm new to this site and finding it a fit to the direction I'm heading with my rig. (99xj) I'm trying a different approach than on my last clouged together half*** build. The new rig is completely stock and low miles. Hope to plan out before lots of needless spending. Started with complete tune up. Dropped in an odyssey 34/78 battery and upgrade the factory battery (+&-) cables to #4 with buss fuse. Soon to add aux fuse block. Figuring out a plan for the cooling system presently.
Today my question to everyone is Headlights. Like the old chevys.... inferior light harness, must upgrade. I've looked at Putco and others online and skeptical about quality. The ARB IS pricy and proprietary with relays.
Does anyone know a good mid-range?
I have factory running lights which need to work with headlights. (Shut off when flipping on HB's)
To top it all off, so I can get down to the grit of it.... I want to use my LED truck lights from my old jeep.
My reasons for the harness upgrade is if I brake an LED out in the way out there. I can put in any H4 bulb from where ever I can find one.
Sure hope some of y'all can share some insight! Thanks much!

Last edited:

FreemansXJ

I have been running the Putco Harness along with H-4 Headlights (Autopal 200mm H4 housings from Ebay) for about 5 years and have had no issues with them at all. The difference over stock is literally night and day.

John

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
if you are thinking you need to upgrade the harness that carries the power to the lights??? Or are you trying to decide what lights to use? I run a pair of the Truck Lite LED headlights in my 99 XJ and love them. This is with the factory harness. The LED lights don't pull power like the stock and H4 bulbs do so I have never had an issue. I think you should pop the lights in and see before you change the harness. IMO

Fursphere

Observer
I have Trucklites in my Wrangler. (previous owner installed them). They are wonderful. I'm going to upgrade my XJ to Trucklites when I have the money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78