The overland beater: Dodge 1500

kraven

Hegelian Scum
No dice on the track bar, compadres. They played foosball with the box, and we all know that foosball is the devil. So, when I got it the box was busted up, I took the bar out and the boot was mongled and cut. So, I refused delivery.

I put the old one back together and moved the truck down below the garden after I removed the bed liner. There's about 20 lbs of rich compost in there I had to get out. There's also a bit of chainsaw oil soaked wood chips and saw dust. So, I swept it out and put the truck back in the driveway because it looked like rain. I wanted some of that stuff to soak a bit to loosen it up. I'll take it to the car wash and blow it out to get the bed nice and clean.

Good news is the bed is in good shape. No rust to speak of.

Also clambered under the truck to do the trans fluid and filter. Found that there were three bolts at the front that were loose. Like, not even snug. Loose. And one bolt is missing. So, I torqued all the bolts to snug + and I'll go on the hunt for another bolt tomorrow. The trans fluid was changed somewhat recently it appears. So, I may run it a bit til it starts to discolor some and then change it- if the pan seal holds. When I do drop the pan, it's getting a drain plug.

Also, I forgot completely about the front diff and changing the gear oil in it. I bet it's stock stuff. Or really old, at least.

I got a whole day Thursday to get some stuff done, since I'll have counter top guys here doing install. So, I'll be able to knock some things out then.

I HAVE to remember to put all the cardboard from the amazon and summit boxes by the curb in the morning. I'm getting a mountain of them by my shop. They gots to go.

Abdiel

I'm new to this forum and happened to stumble up on it a few weeks ago. It also made my day when I saw you building something very similar to what I am building. I have a 99 Dodge Ram 1500 4wd which I plan to upgrade some to go do some light 4 wheeling, camping and hopefully make it to cape look to do some fishing. Luckily for me my truck was in better shape than yours when I bought with only 145,000 miles. The only issue I have is that the engine burns 2 quarts of oil every 500 miles. But I plan on fixing that this summer. Anyways figured I would introduce my self and give you props on your build.

kraven

Hegelian Scum
Hey, Welcome to the never ending ram story!

2 quarts in 500 miles? That's a pretty major problem, sounds like. But you have a plan, so that's the important part. And the small block Mopar is a piece of cake to rebuild.

Props to you for buying a truck in better shape than mine!
jtfp.gif

Looks like my counter top guys are not coming today, so I'm going to get some uninterrupted time with the beater. This is not preferred. I need my kitchen back together, but I knew the risks with contracting a firm in East TN.

I dd get all the cardboard together and off to the recycler yesterday, so that worked out.

Today I'll do the diff and check the trans pan for leaks. When ATF-4 leaks, it's a pretty expensive leak. That stuff is red and expensive, just like human blood or velvet cupcakes.

Just for science, I bought a ball joint tool at harbor freight with a coupon. I got a flashlight for free, which means it'll work about 5 times and then stop. Anyway, the HF ball joint fork is made of the finest Chinese hard cheeses. It actually smeared the metal of the fork against the ball joint. So, there you go. Don't buy one of these silly tools. Further proof that you need good quality stuff if you want to do drivetrain and suspender work.

bdp1978

Adventurer
Anyway, the HF ball joint fork is made of the finest Chinese hard cheeses. It actually smeared the metal of the fork against the ball joint. So, there you go. Don't buy one of these silly tools. Further proof that you need good quality stuff if you want to do drivetrain and suspender work.

Ive actually used a pair of HF strut compressors for 5 years now.....yes....I fully expect to lose some fingers in the near future.

Abdiel

Yeah I won't tell you how much I paid for mine. Let's just say my wife still says I stole it at that price. If you were closer I would let you borrow my ball joint removal/ installation kit. I forget the brand but it was not cheap I bought from a snap-on guy for $280. But I used it for work. Another option is rent one the install kits from autozone. Best part is that if it gets damaged they usually take it back. Unless your installing ball joints a couple of times a week it's not worth buying the high dollar kit.

kraven

Hegelian Scum
Yeah, some things I'll do from HF. Some things I test out of curiosity.

We actually have really good rental places around here where I can rent most everything. I used to have a ball joint fork set for a pneumatic chisel, but used them so infrequently it wasn't worth it. Once I started buying good parts and taking better care of my vehicles, I found I needed chassis tools a lot less. Now I just generally rent everything major.

kraven

Hegelian Scum
Tires are delivered, and I'm going to see if I can get them installed before my appointment on Wednesday.

Putting together a service package for the beater, to be kept under the seat. I don't need to go crazy with spares. I'm thinking a tire plug kit, t-stat with gasket and hose clamp, and maybe a small choice socket set including the hub and 12 point socket needed for the axle removal on the front. Maybe an unopened tube of black rtv. Some hand tools. Etc. Also thinking about a 4 way lug wrench. But I should be able to get the wheels off no problem with a 1/2 inch socket set that includes a breaker bar.

This evening, I put the bezel back on the dash. I do the fuel synch I've been putting off. I locate a trans pan bolt and install it. I reinstall the bed liner, now that all the cank and gunk is out of the bed.

I got a couple of problems I need to solve. Important problems, at that. Cup Holders. The factory cup holder was a fold down doohickey that invariably breaks because it's made from the same self-loathing plastic the dash is. Cold beverages are an important part of any good road trip. Coffee, black as the heart of a Dakar racer, is an important part of my life.
tumblr_mvc36vF4ci1rmw2mxo1_500.gif

I need cupholders. I don't want them. I need them.
So, I have to solve that with a floor console or something. I'm not keen on building something, but I will if I must!

The other problem is that I probably need a multi band radio for weather and cb stuff. I'm waning between handheld and hardmount.
My wife is like "yeah, you shouldn't put a cb in the truck. That's a little redneck..." and I'm like
tumblr_mxqds9QZ5z1rqwxy7o1_400.gif

Last edited:

Brewtus

Adventurer
Tires are delivered, and I'm going to see if I can get them installed before my appointment on Wednesday.

Putting together a service package for the beater, to be kept under the seat. I don't need to go crazy with spares. I'm thinking a tire plug kit, t-stat with gasket and hose clamp, and maybe a small choice socket set including the hub and 12 point socket needed for the axle removal on the front. Maybe an unopened tube of black rtv. Some hand tools. Etc. Also thinking about a 4 way lug wrench. But I should be able to get the wheels off no problem with a 1/2 inch socket set that includes a breaker bar.

I would also recommend a 5/8" Allen Hex thingybobby for your 1/2" ratchet. I find such a thing to be much nicer to lower the spare than the jack kit. (Mostly because I don't have a jack kit.)

Also, having broken two 1/2" breaker bars and a ratchet getting the axle nuts off, I would highly recommend a 3/4" breaker bar and getting a 3/4" to 1/2" reducer for non-axle nut operations.

For general tools, I'm a big fan of the Crescent 149 piece tool kits. It has a flat case and stows nicely behind the seat.

The other problem is that I probably need a multi band radio for weather and cb stuff. I'm waning between handheld and hardmount.
My wife is like "yeah, you shouldn't put a cb in the truck. That's a little redneck..." and I'm like
tumblr_mxqds9QZ5z1rqwxy7o1_400.gif

I'd recommend a hardmount. I've had both, and the handheld had no range, went through batteries like crazy and ultimately failed catastrophically. The hardmount and antenna cost less than half what I paid for the handheld and I haven't had a single problem with it. I also removed the trip computer from the overhead console and mounted an external CB speaker in it's place (very recommend).

gsanders

Observer
What does your cup holder look like? Is it the standard Dodge one that is mounted low and center on the dash and folds down? If so, do you still have the cupholder part and is the part that broke just the support mechanism? If so, do this cheap and easy cupholder fix: http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-non-powertrain/544103-cup-holder-fix-cheap-w-pics.html

I did it on my truck and it has held up pretty well. If you have a center console seat, I also might recommend a "Cup Smoothie": https://www.genosgarage.com/product/cup-holder-9802/cup-holder. I bought one as well and it is super handy and looks good.

kraven

Hegelian Scum
The only thing that's left is the spring loaded flappydoodle and the plastic back that bolts to the dash itself. The cupholder is long gone, the hinges are busted, and all is barren in cupholder land.

That cup smoothie looks like the cat's pajamas though. Thanks, bro.

Ninjy edit!:

Had my tires fitted today. Got them on the truck.
They look nice, but more importantly: the truck drives better with them. Like, a lot better.
Downside to the Kumhos: they're shorter than the Goodyear and Kelly product they replaced by like a half or three quarters of an inch. But, they do have good treadwear, gription, and ride pretty quietly

My stuff didn't arrive on the mail wagon today, because of some unfortunate delay. So, I don't have my lugnuts and can't install my center caps and stuff. I did reinstall the dash bezel that I glued together in spots where it was cracking.

b3be3aec-b4f4-4ab6-b241-683171438cb7_zpss5y3cmeu.jpg

Sears also got me for a torque wrench while I was there. I needed another since I'm about to start a new engine and rear end build on my Mercury and I have to do some engine work on my CB350 before I sell it- mostly going behind the guy who rebuilt the engine and making sure he wasn't drunk.

As Ice Cube says: "It was a good day."

Last edited:

kraven

Hegelian Scum
20160621_161115_zpsxvyyd7xm.jpg

wTpaSlN.gif

Didn't have time to do much this afternoon, so I got the spare tire back on the truck, and got the wheels painted up. I have those neato ram center caps, but the new lug nuts I bought don't work with them. So... they go back and I try to find some local. Or just forget about using them. I kind of like the way they look. But I'm not going to break my neck trying to find lug nuts to fit them that aren't those stupid plasticoated things. But I do have a bastardo assortment of about 4 types of lug nuts, and that needs to be remedied. Plus the tire installer managed to gauld one of the studs... of course.

kraven

Hegelian Scum
Bros, I got my track bar on today. All is right in the world of steerage now. No more 20 degrees of slop. Boy was the old one garbage. It has about 3/8ths or 1/2 inch of play in the ball joint end. Really sketchy.

Next is the very minor matter of bleeding the brakes again, and seeing about the fact that it pulls left when I brake. I thought it was due to the front shifting with the worn track bar. Now that the track bar is new, I'm totally seeing that the brakes are pulling hard to the left. So, I'll bleed them again (there's been a lot of air that's been purged so far), or if that doesn't work I'll look at the flex line and caliper. Brakes are a piece of cake. I already have a new can of fluid waiting for it.

Pleasant surpise of the day: I took it out on the interstate and ran it pretty hard, then out of sheer curiousity discovered that the cruise control works and it actually drives super well at highways speeds. Bueno.

Unpleasant nuisance of the day: the windshield washer pump doesn't work. :(

So, a net positive for today.

Also, Moog doesn't give a new torque spec for the improved ball joint on the track bar. But they give you a nice notice about it. So, I kind of a took a wild guess at it so I could test drive it I set it at 90 lbs. I'll reset it if I find the true spec is less. Stock is 70 lbs.
59ff47d6-0ed1-4b04-94e6-5a9387a43188_zps090th3xo.jpg

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Truck is looking good with the painted steelies. Might think about doing something about those headlights. You could replace them outright or buff them out. I've done both.

kraven

Hegelian Scum
Yeah, I'm looking around for replacements. I gotta go pick up an engine for another project at the junkyard next week. I may look for some when I'm there. But in the meantime I guess I'll buff them out.

The previous owner had a little trouble figuring out the super easy bulb removal/installation process and broke the outboard mounting screws. So they hing on the rubber bit to the inside. Not exactly secure lighting.

At the worst, I'll get some better illumination, but the dodge fora are eaten up with threads on how to make these headlights not suck, why these 2nd gens need extra illumination, etc. So, I may just break down and buy some LEDs to augment the high beams, and some ambers for fog.

Got a new caliper and hose at the parts store this morning. We'll see if I need it or not. I have a feeling the hose is bad on the pass front brake. Well, I have some data that points to that as the problem, not a feel.

Though, to be accurate, I do have plenty of THAT feel.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears