The overland beater: Dodge 1500

kraven

Hegelian Scum
Man, I haven't cut my lawn (about 1 acre of very nice grass) in about a month and a half. It's been super dry here. But all of a sudden we're getting storms every day now. So, I play the odds on whether or not I'll be able to get out and do stuff in the afternoons, or I'll be cowering trying to not be struck by lightning.

It's put a damper on some fun stuff and left me with some house stuff to do.

Anyway, I'm still gathering camp gear here and there. I'm also thinking about what to do with the bed, if I can use a rack and keep the bed free for motorcycles or if I should stick with getting a topper. I think I'll probably do some camping with it like it is and assess what I need. Now that the kitchen remodel is wrapping up (you need to hold your subcontractor's hand, whatever their task is or however long they've done it...) I'm becoming freer.

Looking forward to taking the beater out to actually beat on it and overland it some. The trans work really paid off. The trans shifts really great now and behaves like it should. And it's sealed. So, I can get it wet.

justcuz

Explorer
I've always favored the idea of a usable bed in a pickup.
I've sat down many times and drawn up a rack arrangement to fit in the stake pockets and throw a tarp over it for inclement weather camping. It just has to peak a bit in the center for runoff. I wanted to build it to come apart like the big pre-constructed pipe pieces used in the portable garages, but maybe use electrical conduit.
When not in use the tarp can cover your gear in the bed and a cargo net over it to hold everything down.
My 2 cents.

Glad to hear the truck and transmission are doing well. Did you modify the rear LSD at all?

I'm jealous of your grass, mine is almost all dead, watering restrictions here allow only 3 days a week and the hot weather has just about killed everyone's yards.

fastestz1000

I did the Hughes Performance plenum kit almost two years ago on my 02 5.9. Everything I read said it would be the end of my plenum troubles. I followed the instructions to the letter. I just had to replace the gasket again last week as it had failed again. We will see.

kraven

Hegelian Scum
Justcuz, I didn't mod the LSD aside from renewing the clutches and steels. I've been, lazily, looking for a 60 to replace it from a 2500.

Right now I'm just hoping the LSD will last a while before I have to scrap it. I pulled every string I could think of, but Spicer will not sell service parts like thrust washers and whatnot for this diff's LSD. So, it's either 350 bucks for a new one off the shelf, or a locker, or I swap the rear.
Seeing as how I'd like to regear it to a 3.73 or 4.10 gearset, I think an axle swap would probably be the most economical way to accomplish those goals. Plus I'll be towing my car with it, on a trailer, and probably pulling loads of motorcycles and stuff. I'd just like to have a better axle under at least the rear.
The problem with only swapping the rear is that I then have 5 lug fronts and 6 or 8 lug rears. Might also have to swap the master cylinder. Might also run into an ABS problem (truck has rear only ABS). Lots of pesky details.

fastestz1000, the more I look around, the more I hear that same story. Generally the guys saying it's a lifetime fix are trending toward a population of people who don't drive their truck much. So, I may just find an M1 for it. There are a lot of the carbed M1 intakes for Magnum heads floating around from crate engine swaps, since Mopar sells a boatload of those 360 based crate mills. I may be able to get one of those on the cheap and have the injector bungs welded in. Then it would just be a bolt on... maybe. The water neck mounting seems to be problematic on some due to the way the proximity of the accessory drive. It'll take some research. Also, now that I have the alu plate, I can always TIG it in place. Permanent fix.

justcuz

Explorer
Agree 100% on the axle swap. Might be able to find a Cummins rust bucket someone bought for the engine and is paring out. I've seen several 1/2 tons converted over this way and it's a nice deal.

kraven

Hegelian Scum
Had my first hot weather shakedown today, storming down the superslab at 70, in 90F weather, A/C on high, wife riding shotgun. And the plug wires gave up the ghost, well #7 did anyway.

I drove it back home and rerouted the plug wire, which smoothed out the idle. But it's still not running right, so I ordered new wires. It was stupid to not put new wires on it while I had it apart. But we're fixing that now, aren't we?

Found a couple of parts trucks, one with a 5.9/auto combo and one with the axles I need. I get the plug wires on and I'll gather up some bits.

Also waiting for the heat to abate a bit, so I can do some glamping.

justcuz

Explorer
I'll trade you weather! I had to go to the mountains yesterday to escape the heat. Was rewarded with a nice summer thunderstorm and moderate rain while exploring some backroads. Even saw a Bobcat!
The 8 lug axles will be a sturdy improvement. Take a good look at the front axle, it may be an 8 lug Dana 44 which Dodge used in some of the light duty 3/4 ton pickups. If you keep your tire size reasonable you should be fine with a Dana 44. Almost a better choice of 8 lug wheels these days than 5 or 6 lug stuff. I am a big fan of Hummer H2 wheels or the newer Dodge aluminum wheels. Even the Dodge chrome 8 lug rims look good.

Last edited:

kraven

Hegelian Scum
Speaking of weather, I got my new injectors in today (fogger upgrades) in between storms this evening.

Pretty nice parts, quick shipping, worked ok. One of the o-rings didn't seal, so I swapped it for one of the fel-pros I had on the old ones and it works. I broke two of the injector clips and have to get more. Otherwise, I'm ah-ite. They run great.

No worries about the truck except it's been a little down on power, which I think is maybe the cat self destructing and clogging. Been super busy. Looking forward to deer season.

justcuz

Explorer
Have you been able to keep this within your budget?
My wife really likes this body style Dodge and they are cheap out here. Got me thinking!

kraven

Hegelian Scum
Yeah, my projected budget was 4k and I'm at 4200 and some change right now. The laundry list of bad parts on this truck left me doing a lot of labor, but there are a lot of them that aren't quite as beat up or have been better maintained and need less.
But when you get over 100k on anything built in the 90's, there's no way around doing a lot of work on them. And they all have over 100k by now, except a few grampa trucks wasting away in garages.

The good part is, there are no surprises really. The failures of the 2nd gen ram are pretty well documented and pretty easily remedied if you have some basic skill. I never felt like I was learning anything new on this truck. Just things that were mostly basic mechanics (head swap, timing chain, rear end clutches, etc). The parts are still readily available otc at every box store parts outlet, and the prices are still pretty reasonable. So, it's not like a Rover or something.

Having been stem to stern on mine, fixing and replacing stuff, I feel like the 2nd gen ram is a good choice if you are a DIY type or want something that you don't care if you ding it or slap it with limbs going through the woods or down a fire road.

justcuz

Explorer
Good to know.
Extra cab short beds are fairly common out here. One with 3/4 ton axles and springs and a shell would make a good all a rounder.
Most long beds here, even the gassers have been worked hard and are hard to find in nice shape.

kraven

Hegelian Scum
Now that it's cooling down, and I have 2 jobs, I gotta go out and camp in this pile to manage my stress or elevate it til I snap.
I have a super classy PBR (yes, Pabst Blue Ribbon) tent. I'm gonna get a ladder rack, run some material across it for a support, and turn that into a ghetto roof top tent. Also, I'm going to Expo east with the beater (It's literally right down the street at the Biltmore this year) so I'll be classing up the place with this rusted pile.

Updates: I lost two injector clips and ordered them this morning, finally. Gonna take it down the street to have the fuel synched, since it feels off still.
Gotta put seals on the t-case, and do the t-case saver too.

The thing drives great now. The tires and suspension work really helped it. Boy is the mileage terrible, but we expected that did we not? We did, indeed.

Still got my eyes peeled for an M1 or airgap intake, but those are like the Cobra Jet parts of the Dodge camp. Gold. I'm too cheap to put a 500 dollar intake on a 600 dollar truck.

justcuz

Explorer
I am jealous! The Biltmore is a great venue. Your gonna love being that guy with the rusted up truck and the PBR tent. I can just see the hoidy toidy guys faces now! You will have a lot of room around you when you set up camp!
Seriously you need to dress like Little Abner and play it up! If you have the wife dress like Daisy Mae you will have admirers and lots of company!

kraven

Hegelian Scum
Yeah, I thought I might ham it up a little. :)

I'm a passholder for the Biltmore, so I get to come and go when I want for the running trails and whatnot. It's a nice place and I'll feel a bit bad about all that. Only a little though.

I finally got around to buying new battery hold down hardware, since the stock parts are seized in the base nuts. So, I'm finally getting the Optima fastened down.
Located a cheap ladder rack, so I'm going to check that out tomorrow. I'd like to build my own rack just above roof level, but I don't have a tubing bender. :(

justcuz

Explorer
The Biltmore makes Hearst Castle look like a hovel. I especially like the Biltmore with the Christmas decorations up.
My sister and her husband live over in Blountsville, Tn. so whenever we visit the Biltmore is one of our destinations.
I'm partial to Cheddars restaraunts too. You absolutely have to take some pictures of the Expo East from the every mans viewpoint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998