The perfect sleeping platform protection?

mosupernak

Adventurer
I had my sleeping platform all planed out to fit my needs until I tried to tackle what to protect it with.

Here were my thought evolutions:

First I thought, a nice weatherproof stain or paint, nope just won’t last after gear sliding on it, no heat resistance
2nd: All Weather Carpet, nope snags and then frays, stinks after being wet, not chemical resistant, and no heat resistance
3rd: Rhino liner, good protection but texture maybe too rough, again not much heat resistance
4th: EPDM Rubber Sheeting: Anti skid, heat resistant to 280 degrees, made to withstand arctic to desert outdoor conditions, easy to apply, fairly inexpensive, Hmmm.

http://www.rubbersheetroll.com/rubber_roofing_epdm.htm

Man, I want cover my whole truck with this stuff! Well maybe not, but anyone have experience with this material?

Kohburn

Adventurer
there are many coatings similar to ryno liner that have varying textures available.

even profesionally done Line-x you get to choose your level of texture.

mosupernak

Adventurer
there are many coatings similar to ryno liner that have varying textures available.

even profesionally done Line-x you get to choose your level of texture.

Hmmm Thanks didn't know that, still leaning on trying the rubber out though.

DesertBoater

Adventurer
Rhinoliner can also spray to whatever texture you want...rough vs smooth. I had a strip sprayed on the bottom of my kayak to protect the stem, stern and keel, and it was almost glassy smooth.

nctacoma

Observer
hmmm, I am building a platform storage system and I think I saw a roll of epdm roofing laying around at one of my jobsites, which I might mention had the roofing completed many months ago.....I will have to think about that one....

mosupernak

Adventurer
Old thread but in case anyone wants to know I used 1/4" rubber gym flooring on my bed/drawer system and it's worked out great!

mosupernak

Adventurer
I will be posting pictures sometime in the near future, currently my home computer is down. The gym flooring I kinda fell into, I have a friend of a friend that works at a pretty big local flooring company. They do everything from hardwood, tile, laminate... I just called to see if they had any scrap rubberized flooring, turns out they gave me the rest of roll prob 30 sq/ft.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Nice. Glad the rubber flooring worked out nicely.

I should note that your thoughts on carpeting didnt happen for me when I used it on my sleeping platform. The carpet was pretty inexpensive and has held up very nicely after 2-3 years of use now.:smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior