The proper way to introduce a new spouse to the idea of family adventure planning

rcharrette

Adventurer
RV Park?

You don't have to go to an RV Park if you rent an RV. They are self contained with holding tanks for water and wast. Power may be an issue over several days but for a night or 2 the Aux batteries should cover you if your careful.
Good luck,
Randy
www.velomom.com

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
this subject never came up before getting hitched?

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe it's an arranged marriage? :D

Seriously, I know others have said it, but it's true: If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. ;)

A couple of things occur to me right off the top of my head:

The first thing is, you may like to camp "primitively" but that doesn't mean she will. In fact, if she hasn't done it in the past, most likely she will not. So if you think you're going to "convert" her, think again.

You need to start off easy, that means comfort. A decent place to sleep, toilet and shower facilities. State Parks or KOAs and the like might be a good start.

My now-wife knew I liked to camp, and while she was an outdoorsy girl, the thought of sleeping on the ground or going several days without a shower never appealed to her. We went on one camping trip together sleeping in a tent in 2006. In 2007 I got a truck (Tacoma) and fitted it out with a shell and carpet kit for sleeping. We did go on a two-night camping trip in the Summer of 2007 but she didn't care for the lack of headroom and generally cramped nature of the truck. From that point on, I did all my camping solo.

Then, last January, we were talking and she asked me what I wanted to accomplish in 2012. I said "I'd like for us to go camping more, so let's figure out a way to make it comfortable for you." We looked at tents, cots, inflatable mattresses and such, and ultimately settled on this:

2012_1007_121005AA.jpg

It's a teardrop trailer (named "Bubbles") and while ours is a "home built", there are several manufacturers out there, too. The nice thing about a Teardrop is that it's sort of like a hard-sided tent. You still feel like you're "camping" but you are in a hard-sided structure, with a locking door, and you don't have to worry about a pole collapsing in the wind or a sudden gust ripping the fly off. But it has no electricity, plumbing or any other amenities, so it's like "real camping." Pulls just fine behind my 07 4runner (my '99 had to struggle a bit to pull it.) There's enough room to sit up in it but not enough room to stand. Sleeping accomodations are great - it's bigger than our queen bed on the inside and the 4-piece mattress is super-comfy.

Wife decorated bubbles with a fish/bubble motif:

2012_0608_192013AA.jpg

2012_0607_211918AA.jpg

I don't know who the weird guy on the right is. :D

She even hand made a banner for us to hang up when we're camping:

2012_0608_184832AA.jpg

But the best thing about the teardrop is that my wife loves it and now she gets excited to go camping. Even though it's often a PITA pulling a trailer, and it's not what I would choose to do if I was by myself, I love it because it makes my wife want to go camping instead of thinking of it as something she has to do. In fact, she likes it so much that there were several times this past Summer when she would say "Hey, let's take Bubbles up to the mountains this weekend!"

Now, having said all that, I'll add one final thought: She may just not like it. A lot of people don't. And if she doesn't, that's not the end of the world, it just means that you'll have to do your camping solo. I've gone on 4 or 5 week-long solo camping trips since 2008. That lets me get my "camping itch" satisfied, gives me some "alone time" and gives the wife some as well. Just because you're married doesn't mean you have to be joined at the hip. It's healthy to have other interests and there's no requirement that you have to share all of your hobbies with your spouse.

Pabloa3

@LR Max - very true and very funny. I've been reading excerpts to my wife who thinks camping is a hotel without room service.

LR Max

Local Oaf
One more tip, when she asks about being attacked by wild animals, don't respond with, "I'll chop em with me hatchet!!"

That doesn't go over too well.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Good clean bathrooms with showers. If she does most of the cooking at home then you do all the cooking and clean up on the camping trip, gives her a vacation.:) Start small, like a weekend camp trip that is close to home.

fullofdays

Wondering Wanderer
UPDATE: searching for a teardrop or chalet Aliner to rent for a weekend this month in the Southeast. The plan is to do a 2 week trek across the country and explore canyonlands via white rim trail. Thinking about purchasing an offroad teardrop or Kimberly kamper.

Last edited:

4671 Hybrid

Adventurer
UPDATE: searching for a teardrop or chalet Aliner to rent for a weekend this month in the Southeast. The plan is to do a 2 week trek across the country and explore canyonlands via white rim trail. Thinking about purchasing an offroad teardrop or Kimberly kamper.

Hey how'd this turn out? Did she have a good time?

fullofdays

Wondering Wanderer
Great question. I took my wife tent camping at Stone mountain state park in NC mtns and she loved it. Took some advice from folks in this thread and picked a good weekend and planned out the meals, etc. We Have since bought a Conqueror Conquest and have spent only a few nights in it since we got it in April due to work and family focus the last 6 months... our 2 week trek across the states from NC to Southern Utah was postponed due to closing on our house. We have a few trips planned this fall and are excited about spending time together. We are also looking for other couples/groups that we can go on camping trips together with and have met some really swell folks already. No round the world treks or major adv travels but we are enjoying camping and getting outside regionally more and more.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78