The RME4x4 2020 Gladiator Rubicon

Greg@RME

Adventurer
First off, this is the first time I've ever bought a brand new vehicle.... those that know me know I usually buy used vehicles, sometimes projects, and build them up. I finally have the chance to buy new and choose all my options! I was lucky to have my JKU paid off when I listed it for sale and I've also been saving money up for sometime, planning on replacing it. More than likely, this will be the only time I buy new.

I figured I'd start at the beginning and document this one from the get go. I ordered my Gladiator at my local Jeep dealership in Grand Junction, CO. I selected a Rubicon and added quite a few options. I put my $500 down to get the process started on May 11th, 2019 but my order didn't go in until the next business day, May 13th. My salesman estimated a 6-8 week build time at that point.

Here's what my build looked like on the Jeep site after selecting my options. I really wanted the body color Gobi, but I'm impatient.... and selling my JKU left a huge hole in my life. :( I choose White, just like the JKU. The price is MSRP, I should be about $5k less than that and get it under invoice, as that was the deal. I added quite a few options, the 8 speed automatic, Cold Weather package, LED lighting, Aux switches, bed liner, Alpine stereo, Safety Group, etc, etc.

buildout-jpg.120048

So now it's a matter of waiting, but we can still make plans... I want to run around 3" of lift and 37's, to help with the breakover and departure angles. I've been a fan of Teraflex and like supporting the local businesses, so I plan to run their suspension with Falcon shocks. I have a set of new AEV Salta wheels and I'm planning to mount a set of 37" BFG's on them. I plan to add a Warn Zeon 10 for recovery and eventually some aluminum bumpers and sliders. I loved my last ARB dual air compressor, so eventually one of those will get added too. Probably some Baja Designs LP6 lights and perhaps some kind of bed rack for mounting the RTT when I don't want to take the OUT adventure trailer. I want the Gladiator to remain freeway friendly, so we can drive to amazing places (Baja!), but capable enough to get us thru nearly anything.

Stage 1; Stock, 33" Falkens, stock suspension (Fox 2.0 shocks), stock bumpers & sliders.

Stage 2; Teraflex 1.5" leveling kit, Falcon 2.1 shocks, AAL High-Line fenders and inners, 37" KM3's and AEV Salta wheels.

Stage 3; TBD

Stage 4; TBD

Stage 5; TBD

So that's the plan!

Last edited:

Greg@RME

Adventurer
Well, first trip in the Gladiator is in the books! I towed the OUT to Gunnison, CO for the first Rocky Mountain Overland Rally and the drive out climbs some pretty decent elevation between Montrose and Gunnison. The OUT isn't too heavy, but it does have a lot of rolling resistance with 35" BFG KO2's. I was trying to make up some time on the drive out and didn't take it easy on the steep, switchback climb and still saw 15 MPG with the trailer. On the way back down, I saw 17.5 MPG which is IMO pretty decent for pulling a trailer!

20190803_125037-L.jpg

Greg@RME

Adventurer
Some small mods to the Gladiator, nothing crazy.... yet. Don't worry, big mods are coming soon!

I dislike the massive whip antennae that came from the factory, so it got replaced with a 7" tall Rydonair antennae from Amazon. I've used these before and despite their size, they still get good reception.

20190809_155446-L.jpg

I also found a storage tray on Amazon that drops into the lower center console storage area, adding more usable organization. So now there are 3 separate compartments inside the console.

20190809_155536-L.jpg

20190809_155550-L.jpg

20190809_155602-L.jpg

The rear seats have a pretty large storage area underneath, it has quite a bit of room.... but not enough for a 20# CO2 tank. I bought a 10# aluminum tank after test fitting it and it fits perfectly. The way the storage area is built with the seat down, the tank is secure in it's place. I'd like to add a ratchet strap to it, just as another layer of security in case of a rollover or accident, so the tank can't go flying around inside the cab. I was able to fit my ARB tire plug kit, a bag of hand tools, a spill kit, air hose and other items on the other side.

20190809_105333-XL.jpg

20190809_105459-XL.jpg

I also dropped off the AEV Salta wheels at the local powder coat shop.... big plans for them. I'll hold of on revealing the color until they're done, which will be a few weeks!

20190809_083058-L.jpg

I've ordered some other parts that will be a big part of the build, you'll see them soon enough. ;)

Greg@RME

Adventurer
Finally had the first real offroad trip in the Gladiator. I have to say, I'm super impressed with the way this thing rides. IMO the Fox 2.0 shocks that come on the Gladiator are valved too lightly, but the coil springs, control arm lengths, push-button disconnect sway bar and even the 33" tires all make for one decent riding 4x4. We did scrape the trailer hitch a couple times, the undercarrige once or twice, but that was it. The San Juan mountain trails are rougher than I've seen them, LOTS of runoff moving material down the mountain and washing the roads out.

i-Sx3mhCr-L.jpg

Superduty

Adventurer
37s are a good choice. The OEM 33s look way too small.

Awesome rig. Looking forward to following your build.

Congrats.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Greg@RME

Adventurer
37s are a good choice. The OEM 33s look way too small.

Awesome rig. Looking forward to following your build.

Congrats.

Thanks, I do love this truck!

Yeah, even a stock Rubicon on 33's looks a little funny.... I love that 35's will fit with no mods, but 37's will really help. I did take it to Moab for the first time yesterday, getting some good footage and it's pretty obvious that they're long and low, on the trail. I scraped the rear hitch, the t-case crossmember and the rear lower frame-side control arm mounts a handful of times. Hopefully I'll have my Teraflex leveling kit, Falcon shocks and 37's on in about a month.

20190825_160812-L.jpg

Yes, great so far. Already had it on NV sand dunes and a short portion of The Rubicon.

Slower on build progress than you but this doubles as my daily driver. Waiting for AEV’s front bumper release this fall as well as someone to release a rear bumper with a big rear skid plate and tire carrier. Also hoping a strong but decent looking bed rack comes to market, but I’m probably going to have to go custom on that as I’m rather picky.

For now stock except for 35s...

Will be watching your build!

Attachments

• BEEB5B5A-363B-4811-875A-6A9668E5A411.jpeg
    BEEB5B5A-363B-4811-875A-6A9668E5A411.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 88

Greg@RME

Adventurer
Both of your Gladiators look great and I am definitely partial to the white color. Did either of you consider the steel Mopar bumpers or were they on back-order?

Cheers

They weren't an option when I ordered my Gladiator, unfortunately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998