The RME4x4 2020 Gladiator Rubicon

Did either of you consider the steel Mopar bumpers or were they on back-order?

I’d heard the steel Mopar bumper was in short supply and did not want to delay my order - it took 10 weeks for my mildly optioned Rubicon to reach the dealer.

Plus $750 for a bumper that needed $200-ish more for a winch plate and that ended it for me. My logic was if I was in in for $1,000 what was a few more hundred to get exactly what I wanted...

At some point you can pick them up new/used for $500. Heck there’s a used AEV for the JK available near me for $450 (if it had an upper hoop I’d have bought it).

Greg@RME

Adventurer
I've wanted a Vector Dock in my Jeep since I had my JKU, pretty excited to get one in the Gladiator now! I went with the Curve E-Dock and love it. They're very handy, making access to your phone, camera, radio, tablet, etc quite convenient. The build quality is excellent, too. Always happy to support the local business!

i-KdRKJpz-L.jpg

i-Jcxxgqx-L.jpg

NitroExpress

Observer
As a long time owner and aficionado of the 'tail-dragger' Jeep, I'd like to say how awesome your Gladiator looks!! I've been watching them with great interest, and Yours is the exact configuration I would choose. I can't wait to see your build progress and read about your adventures with it. Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_7025 (1).jpg
    IMG_7025 (1).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Bobzdar

Observer
Did you drive or consider the manual transmission? Just curious on your thoughts.

Speaking as an owner of an auto gladiator rubicon, I didn't consider the manual this time around, and I used to be an m/t die hard. But, the auto is objectively better in every way, especially when it comes to towing and in tricky off-road spots. I was a bit sad that it wasn't even a consideration, but at the same time am very happy with the auto trans so far.

Bobzdar

Observer
Well, first trip in the Gladiator is in the books! I towed the OUT to Gunnison, CO for the first Rocky Mountain Overland Rally and the drive out climbs some pretty decent elevation between Montrose and Gunnison. The OUT isn't too heavy, but it does have a lot of rolling resistance with 35" BFG KO2's. I was trying to make up some time on the drive out and didn't take it easy on the steep, switchback climb and still saw 15 MPG with the trailer. On the way back down, I saw 17.5 MPG which is IMO pretty decent for pulling a trailer!

20190803_125037-L.jpg

Nice Jeep! Very similar to mine, except I have the option wheels, steel bumpers and black interior. Did you go for the tan to avoid the red dash? I personally love the red but I know some don't like it.

20190701_065604_1592.jpg

Greg@RME

Adventurer
Nice Jeep! Very similar to mine, except I have the option wheels, steel bumpers and black interior. Did you go for the tan to avoid the red dash? I personally love the red but I know some don't like it.

View attachment 535632

Same to you, looks great! I liked the Tan seats, they don't get hot with the top off. The Red dash wouldn't have bothered me, but I do like the Silver.

Looking forward to your build. I have a Silver JTR on 35s...waiting for my Teraflex leveling kit to arrive!!

Awesome, I just got my Teraflex leveling kit and Falcon 2.1's... really looking forward to getting them on!

Greg@RME

Adventurer
Finally towed the Willys CJ2a behind the Gladiator! It was just a local tow test, didn't go on the freeway. I was actually VERY impressed with how it does with a heavy load behind it. I'd guess it's 5,000# total, the Rubicon Gladiator has a tow capacity of 7000#'s. The suspension is pretty soft, shocks are valved VERY lightly so it bounces more than I'd like, it really needs a brake controller but otherwise it's pretty impressive for a V6 Wrangler-based Jeep truck. IMO the 8 speed automatic is a huge factor in how well it tows, getting up to speed the engine rev's pretty high. Once up to speed, it'll run in 6th & 7th gear around 50-55 MPH.

20190902_113803-L.jpg

20190902_113737-L.jpg

I also really love the gauges on the entertainment system, you can monitor engine temp, trans fluid temp, oil pressure & oil temp, etc.

20190902_121650-L.jpg

Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
I'd love to be able to afford a new Jeep truck. I've seen a few on the road, and of course the 4x4/truck magazines have all covered it. Too cool - congrats!

But I had to look up what this "Gobi" color was (from the first post). If I were ordering a new vehicle, I'd damn make sure I got the color I really wanted. Here's a link to the new Jeep truck colors:

And nothing personal (color is such a personal choice), but having deployed to Iraq twice and Afghanistan once, the last color I want is one reminding me of those places.

Greg@RME

Adventurer
Well, onto Stage 2 of the build! Here's what it took;

1. Teraflex 1.5" spacer leveling kit
  2. Daystar 3/4" rear spacer
  3. Falcon 2.1 monotube shocks
  4. American Adventure Labs Highline Brace & DRL's
  5. American Adventure Labs Quick Release Front Inner fenders
  6. AEV Salta JK-spec wheels, powder coated with Illusion Cherry
  7. BFGoodrich KM3 tires

I did the lift, shocks and AAL parts over 2 days. None of it was too difficult, just took some time. To install the leveling kit and spring spacer, I had to get the weight off the springs, remove the fronts and then slide the spacers in place. Getting the shocks on was simple, nothing difficult about them. The AAL fender parts were more involved, they required removing the front fenders and stripping out the plastic inner fender liners and bolting the new aluminum inner fenders.

i-kVQrZHW-L.jpg

i-trxjggC-L.jpg

i-zP88fdr-L.jpg

i-dt2X7Jh-L.jpg

Greg@RME

Adventurer
Time for the reveal of the Stage 2 mods!

I was able to get to Moab for a quick trail test, heading to Hells Revenge. I'm very pleased with the outcome of Stage 2, I gained much needed ground clearance, better approach, breakover and departure angle. I was able to check the tire clearance, bumpstop height and shock travel and it all looked good. The Gladiator worked great, I scraped the rear hitch several times, but that's to be expected. I was pretty happy with the wheel travel, considering I'm still running stock springs & control arms.

It took a MONTH to get the wheels back from the powdercoater! The color is pretty awesome, it takes on all kinds of different shades depending on the light. The 37" BFG KM3's look perfect with the amount of lift, wheelbase and they work great offroad and on. The Falcon 2.1's are a huge improvement over the factory Fox 2.0's, the Gladiator feels much more sure-footed on bumpy roads and the rough trails. It's obvious that they dampening makes a big, needed change. The 37's don't rub at all and the bumpstops all seem to be set right, which is amazing considering the low lift height! I feel like the Stage 2 mods all work together very well!

i-28jx5x3-L.jpg

i-xKXstTK-L.jpg

i-3fknNTS-L.jpg

i-mFfDcdL-L.jpg

i-sZLPXQ4-L.jpg

i-xjcQ6hN-L.jpg

Greg@RME

Adventurer
Looks great!! 37's really are the minimum for the Gladiator? What do those KM3's measure out on the Jeep??

Thanks! IMO, 37's and a little lift seem to match the proportions of the Gladiator quite well. I'll have to put a tape to them when I'm back home, will follow up later on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998