The Road Warrior

IrishXJ

Observer
I've had my XJ for nearly two years now. Admittedly, I've had mixed feelings since I've bought it. On one hand, I've always loved my little XJ: and on the other hand, I've always felt like there's some monster getting ready to poke it's head out at me, ready to bite my hand off at a moment's notice. I must relent that it has never actually done me wrong. I've never been broken down on the side of the road, felt particularly unsafe or felt like I was going to get stuck in some holler somewhere and never get home.

Anyway. On to terrible Jeep pictures:

IMAG0539.jpg

263861_10150248846051902_683451901_7691616_2251217_n.jpg

IMAG0031.jpg

I've got to keep this thing. Even though I'm currently in the process of ripping out every piece of the cooling system in order to find one illusive fault (Except the heater core -- noooooooo thanks!) and I do believe the 4.0L has gotten to the "lifter noise stage", I can't see myself parting in it. I've had way too many entertaining excursions in it to see it crushed in the name of a new vehicle.

So, I guess I have to describe what's already been done and what's on the block for 'enhancements' -- so long as I don't have to see a doctor four hours after use if things perpetually are still going north:

Modifications

K&N Cold-Air Intake: Bought it when I was blue and bleary-eyed in to the Jeep world. I regret it now, since I don't have the original airbox. Should have sprang more money on a snorkel.

Aftermarket stereo and LED cluster gauge: Makes the insides purdy. Also makes me think I'm in a new car. Ignore the 160000 miles on the odometer!

What's next?

ARB Bull-bar: ARB builds some of the best off-roading and expedition products on the planet. They're rated for animal impact, which was a big thing for me -- I've already had one deer fight the front end of my Jeep and lose. -- Purchased!

Slotted & Drilled Rotors and Pads: The XJ has a stopping distance of 5.4 lightyears. This will help improve that stopping distance. See deer above. -- Purchased!

Lift: Highly considering the Rocky Road 4" lift utilizing an OME 3" lift kit. I've not yet seen anyone running these, however, and am curious to see if the OME lift would ride well with the extra inch. If not, I'll be going Rough Country. I can get a good discount from them, and most XJ owners I know have been moderately pleased with the lift. My goal will be 31" tires, but I will not dismiss the possibility of 32" tires.

Tires: Cooper STT's have been highly recommended to me. I currently run Destination A/T's and I absolutely love them. Also might go with the Destination M/Ts. Choices, choices.

Armor: Lots of it. Everywhere.

Lockers: Not anytime soon this year. Maybe next year. Maybe never. Who knows.

Engine Rebuild: See lifter noise above. This might come sooner if my mechanic buddies give me bad news this coming week.

That's all, folks! I'll be sure to regale you all soon with wonderful pictures of my XJ doing XJ things. Like sitting in parking lots and meandering through grassy lanes.

:ylsmoke:

IrishXJ

Observer
Photos from yesterday's LED/Stereo/Speaker/Wiring Extravaganza:

IMG_8504.jpg

IMG_8507.jpg

IMG_8510.jpg

Note on the stock harness: There was none. Previous owner ripped it out. For the life of me, can't figure out why. Couldn't reliably tell which wires were which for the speakers already in place, so I just ripped all the wiring out and ran my own. 12V Constant/Ignition and ground were all easy to find, of course. Pictures of the LED cluster gauge tonight when I manage to get two of them going that I don't think I put in properly. They're not wanting to light up. Dash takes every bit of ten minutes to get out now that I've figured out the stupid little rubber boot thing.

... Wait. Did my doorbell just ring?

IMG_8562.jpg

IMG_8563.jpg

Yes. Yes it did.

Brakes will be put on when I get access to a mechanic buddy's hydraulic lift. Call me a girl, but I have a strong phobia of working around cars on jack stands.

yeha22

Observer
You girl!

Seriously though, I'm about to have to tear into my speaker wiring and I'm not looking forward to it. Seems like every time I get that stuff right on a car, I sell it and get something else with more problems. I have fully removed the interior on at least five cars just to undo/redo something that the previous owner did.

Looking good so far! I'm tempted to make a "build thread" just to keep myself honest about making progress on my own XJ.

IrishXJ

Observer
You girl!

Seriously though, I'm about to have to tear into my speaker wiring and I'm not looking forward to it. Seems like every time I get that stuff right on a car, I sell it and get something else with more problems. I have fully removed the interior on at least five cars just to undo/redo something that the previous owner did.

Looking good so far! I'm tempted to make a "build thread" just to keep myself honest about making progress on my own XJ.

It's surprisingly easy. I've only fiddled with the front speakers so far, but I imagine wrangling with the headliner to get at the rears might be a bear. Biggest problem I've had is with the door panels -- the little tabs on them like to snap off and the screws that hold it firmly to the door frame like to strip away from the cheap plastic of the door panel. I'm going to need to replace the passenger side door panel for this very reason. Just haven't built up the urge to go to the pull-a-part in Louisville to get one.

Narrowly avoided getting hail damage on the Jeep today. It got pretty bad.

IMG_8605.jpg

IMG_8602.jpg

Did manage to get the coolest shot I've ever gotten. Ignore the wounds:

IMG_8753.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger