The Snorkel's relevance to North American overlanding

SoCal Tom

Explorer
so you would follow that close in that dust? why? and why right behind in stead of off to the side?.that's just dumb. say goodbye to your windshield and probably a headlight or 2.yes its probably rhd,but were talking north america,not north africa,or northern territories.the only desert we have up here are small pocket deserts.and we're smart enough to give some separation down a dirt road,again,windshields and headlights.

You assume high speed, rocks drop to the ground within a dozen car lengths, dust hangs for hours if there isn’t a breeze.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hemifoot

Observer
so in that posted pic they're doing, what, 5 mph?ok,i'll concede that wherever it is you go without your windshield,but with a snorkel??it's common.but it isn't common everywhere.and in my area,if you need a snorkel to do water crossings you probably deserve the inevitable trail repair.to each his or her own.all i know is i don't need one,never did,never will.they look stupid.

Last edited:

SoCal Tom

Explorer
so in that posted pic they're doing, what, 5 mph?ok,i'll concede that wherever it is you go without your windshield,but with a snorkel??it's common.but it isn't common everywhere.and in my area,if you need a snorkel to do water crossings you probably deserve the inevitable trail repair.to each his or her own.all i know is i don't need one,never did,never will.they look stupid.

No windshield,no snorkel. Just an air filter and goggles. Remember, jeeps used to have folding windshields, and ATV
S and Dune buggies usually don’t have them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hemifoot

Observer
that sound you heard was my brain coming to a screeching halt. please explain what that has to do with the topic of snorkel relevance in north america.

Stryder106

Explorer

Do you have silt in British Columbia? Have you ever driven in silt? If not, here's a few pics of what we have in the SW USA and Baja. So, where you are - you've stated no need for one, but North America is a whole lot bigger than just BC.

Baja
silt.jpg
//
They have something similar in AU (just to show the comparison)
silt2.jpg
//
My stock air intake would have been underwater without the snorkel. Mojave Road a year ago.
River Crossing.jpg

Dalko43

Explorer
Do you have silt in British Columbia? Have you ever driven in silt? If not, here's a few pics of what we have in the SW USA and Baja. So, where you are - you've stated no need for one, but North America is a whole lot bigger than just BC.

Baja
View attachment 423123

Okay, but you're using the worst case scenario to reinforce your point. Most people aren't driving that fast or aggressive to kick up that sort of dust. Not everyone goes to Baja or the Southwest US looking to race their rigs.

My stock air intake would have been underwater without the snorkel. Mojave Road a year ago.
View attachment 423125

I don't know if that picture was mean to prove your point or not. If it is, it looks like with the right amount of speed, that vehicle could create a decent bow wave and drive through the water without sucking any into the intake. Though if those types of water crossings were a normal event for a 4x4 owner, I could see the insurance policy in having a snorkel (as long as the rest of the electronics are also water-proofed). I've never discounted the utility of a snorkel for water crossings or even dusty roads. Rather I'm wondering how prevalent such hazards are for the average overlander in North America.

b9ev

Adventurer
No I don't but that picture does illustrate that dust levels aren't much clearer at the height of a snorkel vs stock airbox. I personally don't care if people have snorkels or not or their reason for owning them. I live in NM which is mostly a desert and personally find no need for one on my vehicles. I change air filters every other oil change at a minimum, if I lived in a dustier place I would change more often.

so you would follow that close in that dust? why? and why right behind in stead of off to the side?.that's just dumb. say goodbye to your windshield and probably a headlight or 2.yes its probably rhd,but were talking north america,not north africa,or northern territories.the only desert we have up here are small pocket deserts.and we're smart enough to give some separation down a dirt road,again,windshields and headlights.

MOguy

Explorer
Though if those types of water crossings were a normal event for a 4x4 owner, I could see the insurance policy in having a snorkel (as long as the rest of the electronics are also water-proofed). I've never discounted the utility of a snorkel for water crossings or even dusty roads. Rather I'm wondering how prevalent such hazards are for the average overlander in North America.

There are two times I have seen where a snorkel could helped to avoid the problem in expected. I posted them earlier. First one we waited out a storm/tornado. There was allot of rain, the rivers we had crossed earlier had gotten much deeper, too deep for a Tacoma to make it. The other was an off road park where gravel had been laid in at the designated crossing point. Somehow a rut developed and it was too deep for the Wrangler. These were people I suppose could be considered "average". The hazards were unexpected.

Both these vehicles were stock. Had they been lifted they probably would have had no issue, had they chosen a different line probably no issue, if they had a snorkel probably not issue. but We insure things for the unexpected.

krick3tt

Adventurer
MOguy,

Thanks for your response post. I was severely beaten down for calling it a motor once. Never do that again.
But still, when you go to the auto parts store to buy the stuff you put in it is called Motor Oil...go figure.

I was wondering if I turn my scoop facing back to avoid sucking in rain, is it still getting enough air? The engine is close to over 300 HP so the loss of one or two horses is not really an issue.

MOguy

Explorer
MOguy,

Thanks for your response post. I was severely beaten down for calling it a motor once. Never do that again.
But still, when you go to the auto parts store to buy the stuff you put in it is called Motor Oil...go figure.

I was wondering if I turn my scoop facing back to avoid sucking in rain, is it still getting enough air? The engine is close to over 300 HP so the loss of one or two horses is not really an issue.

I have a GMC Acadia Denali that claims to have about 300 hp. The intake is not much different than my kids cavalier. Being as competitive as auto makers are you would think they would do what they could to out perform the competition but who knows.

The hot air in the motor will rise to the highest point. If you have a scoop that maybe the highest point. If the rising hot air pushes out or won't let cool air in maybe the scoop is doing more harm the good?????? I would think a bigger scoop would be better. I would think a shaker style scoop would be more effective.

As far as the scoop being backwards or forwards I really don't know. Try tapping some paper in the scoop next time it rains and see if it gets wet.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman