The Suburbillac may be gone, there may be another Suburban in the future

Woofwagon

Adventurer
Hi all,

Been a very busy past few months: selling the Suburbillac, moving back to Idaho to be closer to family and the learning curve of a new job. I was looking at a 95 Suburban of the GMT400 vintage.

Question is, do you all know of a good resource website on GMT400 trucks? I like to fully research a vehicle before a potential purchase. I like to look for any potential pitfalls to a particular chassis or design.

I have a pickup truck but love the utility of a full size Suburban.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I am looking forward to seeing pics of your new ride Mr Woof. Please post some pics when you make the purchase. Cheers, Chilli..:)

superbuickguy

Explorer
You can never have enough Suburban.

Directly to that version - idler arms - I'm serious when I say always have an extra on hand (they're cheap). That's about it. By 95, they had even done better on the idler arm (the 3 bolt upgrade), you got a dash that had needles, the 350 isn't a Vortec but what it lacks in vortec power it makes up in fuel economy.

Do your due diligence - most especially ask them when was the last time they changed the anti-freeze. That's dexcool - it needs to be changed regularly or it'll plug up the motor.

Other issues, the front-case-engagement is the electric, heating element style. They work great when they work, but they were barely an improvement over the vacuum system of before.

you don't say 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton. nor do you mention gas or diesel... there's was a GMT400 diesel on your side of the world when I was looking several months ago (brown), thought it was a decent deal. If it's a diesel, be sure the PMT has been relocated - but again, nothing on those trucks were rocket surgery. The next gen, with the electronics that fail (not the chassis, mind you, but all the other stupid comfy stuff) has warnings... but not that. That gen of suburban is cheap to maintain - but do note condition, rust, and if it was cared for....

and people will complain about the IFS. IFS is not for serious off-roading in a suburban - however, in a go-camping rig? it's pretty nice.

Woofwagon

Adventurer
The one I looked at was a 454 model. Silverado package. The current owner is asking waaaaaay too much for it however. I don't think they're serious about a sale, at least not yet. For now, I'm saving up my dough to buy a house here so I'm going to have to put a couple potential projects on hold.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
The one I looked at was a 454 model. Silverado package. The current owner is asking waaaaaay too much for it however. I don't think they're serious about a sale, at least not yet. For now, I'm saving up my dough to buy a house here so I'm going to have to put a couple potential projects on hold.

Well you can always buy an old schoool Burb with a solid axel for cheap and be a happy camper...:wings:

Woofwagon

Adventurer
True, but the cost for even a roached out square body Burb are climbing rapidly. I may have a lead on an 88 GMC Burb with 1-ton running gear, but I"m saving up for a down payment on a house.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Woof, do you NEED a clapped out burban for the off roading you will be doing? 90% of the people who put 1 ton's etc on their rigs never really need them. I basic small lift, with 33's will get you to most any place you would want to go IMO.

Woofwagon

Adventurer
I have been on some real goat trails. The advantage of a GM is that the parts to upgrade are so cheap and readily available at local junkyards, that it makes sense to upgrade. But I do see your point. I see many jacked up trucks here with zero mud on them, the driver is obviously compensating for something. My Suburbillac had the skinny stock tires with really aggressive tread and I did fine on many a trail around Mt. Rainier.

One personal goal for an expedition is to drive the Dempster Highway in Canada and I'd like to have stone axe reliability in a vehicle up there for sure.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
If that's a goal, I would not ever dream about start cutting out any of the stock driveline. I would upgrade a couple of weak points. Keep your tires at 285s and all you would really need to do is upgrade the tie rod ends. Depending on how well you drive. I would just pop in a set of keys and a spacer in the rear to give some clearance to the 285s and be done. I am adding upper arms because I understand that they give back some of the lost wheel travel of adding the key lift. 90 percent of big lifted, and rigs with SAS I have seen are very unreliable. Mild well thought out rigs are the most reliable and can go 90% of the places a full blown rig can go if you are a good driver. Most overland travel can be done by stock rigs. The biggest issue with overland is gear carrying. I would add either H2 springs or airbags to the rear of the rig to take the weight of your gear. If this is just going to be a rig where you jump in and hammer on the weekend, then build away....If its something you want to do long distances in, keep it mild.

superbuickguy

Explorer
You've convinced me that you should be looking at GMT 400 diesels. I wish I had the change to buy that next-gen in Idaho that someone had swapped a duramax into.... funny to some, but I thought 30k for a fully sorted swap was a smoking deal.

Woofwagon

Adventurer
I have a lead on an '88 GMC Suburban with 1 ton axles here in Idaho. Would be a good candidate for a diesel swap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998