The Sunset Build - 2004 Tahoe

RikFlairWoo

Observer
Hello Everyone,

Just rolled 200,000 miles on my Tahoe, which coincided with me wanting to start upgrading and refreshing some things on the old rig. Wanted to start a build thread to have a place to shop my ideas around and keep track of the progress.

The idea of this build is to create a beach/river runner rig that is good for sand and logging roads. No hard core rock crawling or trail riding 99% of the time. Aesthetically, I am going for sort of a retro, 90's Baja runner style hence the "sunset" nickname.

I also have a few upkeep items to take care of like the headliner, torn seat leather, and a small scrape/rust spot on the front bumper.

My first upgrade was the shocks. The stock ones were extremely worn and needed to go. Got a set of Fox 2.0 Performance Series IFP Shocks to replace the old ones. Most likely a bit overkill, but I did get a good deal on them and would rather be overbuilt than under. I did the labor myself, but if I had to do it again I would probably just pay the local Jeep shop to install them, major pain without a lift.

Up next I am looking at doing a leveling kit or a lift, not sure which yet. And of course then I'll need bigger tires. Currently running stock size BFGoodrich All-Terrains. What do you guys suggest for a decent riding lift/level and tires?

Thanks for checking out my build, I'll be adding updates regularly. Cheers

Last edited:

tbisaacs

Adventurer
33" will fit without a fuss. I'm running cooper ATPs on stock z71 (other than bilstein 5100s). Only thing to look out for is a wee bit of rubbing on the rear fender liners when you are aired down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RikFlairWoo

Observer
33" will fit without a fuss. I'm running cooper ATPs on stock z71 (other than bilstein 5100s). Only thing to look out for is a wee bit of rubbing on the rear fender liners when you are aired down.

Thanks for the reply! I may even go a little bit smaller than a 33", but that is good to know. Thinking 285/70/17. Wanting something that rides nicely so that will be a consideration as well.

tbisaacs

Adventurer
Mine are 285/70 as well. So yeah, 32.7 or something darn near 33

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I like those:Wow1: upgrades Rik. Look into a BDS lift. They work together with Fox to make some good suspension packages. I hope this helps. Cheers, Chilli...:)

RikFlairWoo

Observer
I like those:Wow1: upgrades Rik. Look into a BDS lift. They work together with Fox to make some good suspension packages. I hope this helps. Cheers, Chilli...:)

Thanks Chili. I do like BDS but I don't want to go that high. I think I am just going to crank the stock keys 1" and see how it rides, and then go from there

TCICapn

I'll second the motion for 285/70R17 tires for the setup you want to run. I'm running that size KO2 on my truck and Bilstein 5100s with no rubbing anywhere and they're great. Love that color on your Tahoe, makes me wish I'd held out for the green color on my truck, oh well...

RikFlairWoo

Observer
I'll second the motion for 285/70R17 tires for the setup you want to run. I'm running that size KO2 on my truck and Bilstein 5100s with no rubbing anywhere and they're great. Love that color on your Tahoe, makes me wish I'd held out for the green color on my truck, oh well...

Thank you, I was dead set on 285/70/17 until I saw that deal today. Now I am really tempted to go bigger.

The hunter green has really grown on me, I wanted white or silver at first but I am definitely glad I have something a little different now

boss324

Observer
Sweet Tahoe! Lots of options for lift.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
Looks real nice for the mileage.
As you are seeing, we've got a good many folks with similar GMT-800 vehicles. I'm trying to aggregate what I can on mechanical issues in the topic first link in my sig.
I'm really curious what if any troubles you've had in the 150-200k mi range. Our '05 Tahoe just rolled 180k, it's 99%+ on the highway. My used '02 Sub crossed 130k the other day, most of the repairs and tweaks I've posted in that topic were done to it. I'm about 2yrs along the path you are embarking on. Doing much the same 'refresh' stuff you may be contemplating.
We also have two members here who also have same-gen Tahoes and both in green, even, they've both done a lot of mods / tweaks. AA1PER(?) and 02TahoeMD, IIRC.

If you are near the beach / salt you might want to look behind the fender flares real soon.

So a bunch of us have been where you are going, so someone should have good answers for you, if you need any info.

Last edited:

RikFlairWoo

Observer
Looks real nice for the mileage.
As you are seeing, we've got a good many folks with similar GMT-800 vehicles. I'm trying to aggregate what I can on mechanical issues in the topic first link in my sig.
I'm really curious what if any troubles you've had in the 150-200k mi range. Our '05 Tahoe just rolled 180k, it's 99%+ on the highway. My used '02 Sub crossed 30k the other day, most of the repairs and tweaks I've posted in that topic were done to it. I'm about 2yrs along the path you are embarking on. Doing much the same 'refresh' stuff you may be contemplating.
We also have two members here who also have same-gen Tahoes and both in green, even, they've both done a lot of mods / tweaks. AA1PER(?) and 02TahoeMD, IIRC.

If you are near the beach / salt you might want to look behind the fender flares real soon.

So a bunch of us have been where you are going, so someone should have good answers for you, if you need any info.

Awesome, thank you for the info!

Somewhere around 189k miles, I was on the highway heading to work at 6:30 in the morning and my transfer case shifted into neutral and would not go back into gear. Had to coast to the side of highway and wait for a tow truck. Ended up taking off work that day and went and bought the encoder ring for the transfer case encoder motor. $80 part. I wasn't 100% sure that it was the problem but I figured I would take a chance. You have to pull out driveshaft but other than that it isn't a hard job. That fixed the t-case, haven't had any issues with 4x4 except one time it started in 4Lo and wouldn't shift out. Replacing the switch next but it has been mostly trouble free.

Other than that, my headliner seems to be getting worse by the day and I have a worn out driver seat. But besides those 3 things it has been a great truck. My brother drives an 04 Silverado 2wd with 190k and we haven't had any issues with that truck either.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
That's really nice looking for having 200k on it. Also that green is my favorite color! I really wanted to find a green one but the white, one owner 'Burb was too tempting.

RikFlairWoo

Observer
That's really nice looking for having 200k on it. Also that green is my favorite color! I really wanted to find a green one but the white, one owner 'Burb was too tempting.

Thank you very much. I have worked hard to make sure I took care of it and stayed on top of routine stuff. Also I drive like someone 3x my age

RikFlairWoo

Observer
Went ahead and bought the 315/70/17 BFG AT's while they were on sale and no tax. Too good of a deal to pass up.

Is there any chance that these things will fit with a few inches of level and some fender trimming? If not I'll just end up selling them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior