The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

I think I have figured out a way to carry three jerry cans of fuel or water with my (future) Finch FWC. More details to follow. But here is a teaser. It will have extremely good weight distribution qualities. (Low and forward on the vehicle.) And yes, it will be outside storage for the fuel.

You will be building a flat bed simalar to 1 speed and storing them forward of the rear wheel well.

sarconcepts

Adventurer
You are pretty true about storage, I've had a FWC for 10 years now, & storage is the issue, i solved a good portion of it by getting a newer truck with an extended cab for dog stuff & gear (plus a place for the dogs to travel) & since you haven't got the truck yet, you have that option.
dry food storage is a big issue, i have a large storage compartment up front, under the front window, but when traveling, where do you put the bedding, on the bench? what about fire wood?
i'd make a thorough list of what you'll be bringing first, then try to figure out where it all goes, it gets tight quick, because you can't leave anything up high (like the bedding, this takes up alot of space when down)
& although i agree with the back porch idea, i find the only way to work with these short doors is to climb 'up' through them, the best way to test this is to climb into one on the ground, you'll see, I've got a step that flips up when not in use, which is attached to my 2" receiver, & i use it all the time just as a truck, to lift things up into the bed.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I already have the truck, it is a 2007 Tacoma extended cab. And sadly no flat bed is planned at this point.

I have done 4 trips of 6-8 weeks in the Tacoma, so I have a good idea of what I need and what can fit.

I will have more storage space in the FWC than I do now with the topper shell and sleeping platform/drawer system. But the idea is to be more comfortable in cold/rainy/buggy/sandstorm conditions. So I am trying to figure out how to have as much storage as possible while still maintaining a comfortable space inside the FWC shell model.

I found this cabinet. I think it would fit, but it is heavy at 30 lbs. Link

is.aspx

In the end I still think the best solution (compromise) for interior storage in my camper will be the floor covered in the larger Action Packers. Then in camp the AP's can be stacked in the front floor area. Clothes and bedding can be tossed about in duffel bags.

This system will keep the weight down low during travel, and will be moveable enough to provide places to sit and work at camp.

Of course this is all just theory at this point.

craig333

Expedition Leader
You are pretty true about storage, I've had a FWC for 10 years now, & storage is the issue, i solved a good portion of it by getting a newer truck with an extended cab for dog stuff & gear (plus a place for the dogs to travel) & since you haven't got the truck yet, you have that option.
dry food storage is a big issue, i have a large storage compartment up front, under the front window, but when traveling, where do you put the bedding, on the bench? what about fire wood?
i'd make a thorough list of what you'll be bringing first, then try to figure out where it all goes, it gets tight quick, because you can't leave anything up high (like the bedding, this takes up alot of space when down)

Thats not true on the newer models. They're now made so you can leave your bedding in place. Wish mine was that way.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Okay, after a couple days of thinking about not much more than propane and camper heaters I have come to a conclusion. I do need a really good heater in the camper, not a cheap little piece, but a solid built in heater.

Thanks for all the advice, here is what I have come up with.

Olympian Wave 3 Heater.
Link
(From Amazon)

Paired with the Ragasco fiberglass propane tank. (Featured in the Summer 2009 Overland Journal)
lpgastanks.com Link (OJ readers get 10% off, as of 2009)

The heater weighs 6 pounds and will be mounted to the back wall of the camper. The tank weighs 7.5 pounds empty and will be stored at the bottom front of the camper, keeping the weight of the fuel low and forward on the rig.

Note: I did have a hard time deciding between the Ragasco tank and an aluminum propane tank. So if anybody has a reason why aluminum would be better please let me know.

Heater decision has been finalized.

Found a sale on the Olympian Wave 3 heater for $99. It turned out to be a typo, but they honored the price.

I am really impressed with the Wave 3. Looks well built, and is more or less lightweight at 6 lbs.

(I will be using a second Wave 3 that I bought as a space heater in my studio. Should get a good feel for its heating capabilities during the 7-8 months of cold weather we have.)

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Propane tank question.

Is it a major no-no to have the propane tank stored inside the camper, in the open, e.g. not in a sealed box?

I know it is a big problem in a boat, where the propane will settle in the bilge. And it can be very hard to clear propane from a bilge.

But in the camper, if there was a leak it would drift along the floor and out a couple of small vents I have planned. And the bed is a few feet above the floor.

I am thinking campers and rv's have the sealed propane compartments because of legal issues. Makes sense to me, just do not know if I need to do that in my camper.

I carried a dozen 1 pound tanks under the sleeping platform with out much of a thought. But I do not want to shock people with a propane tank under the sink.

Thoughts on this?

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Interior Layout Blueprint

I was having a hard time sleeping the other night, so I got out the graph paper and put down my ideas for the interior build of the Finch.

I welcome any thoughts, ideas, or questions.

One square = approx. 3"
finchinteriorbp.jpg

Last edited:
Your design looks good. I would find a way to vent the propane to the outside. Also, if you go with a two burner stove you will have a little extra countertop space.

tnt

Observer
I notice your stove is mostly covered when the bed is extended. We have a 2003 FWC and you can not use the stove while the bed is extended. This bothers some people because an early riser can't get coffee or breakfast going until the second person gets up. No problem if you are traveling solo, though. FWC has since changed their design and switched the locations of the sink and stove.
What is the dotted line labeled "A"?

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Your design looks good. I would find a way to vent the propane to the outside. Also, if you go with a two burner stove you will have a little extra countertop space.

Thanks!

As you know, an outside vented propane tank is an uninsulated space in the camper. It would take up a lot of room to have an insulated and vented area for the tank. I think I am more worried about propane leaks coming from all the fittings on the hob or heater. And while not in use I will turn off the propane at the tank. But it is still something I am mulling over.

I decided to compromise counter top space to have the third burner. Currently, I often wish I had a third burner.

With the SMWV glass top sink and hob there will really not be any countertop space with this design. I am okay with that as the stacked plastic totes will provide an area to put things on, and I am used to working that way. But I might want to redesign. (When the glass tops are closed there will be a large "chart table" like space to work on.)

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I notice your stove is mostly covered when the bed is extended. We have a 2003 FWC and you can not use the stove while the bed is extended. This bothers some people because an early riser can't get coffee or breakfast going until the second person gets up. No problem if you are traveling solo, though. FWC has since changed their design and switched the locations of the sink and stove.
What is the dotted line labeled "A"?

I am trying to keep the weight as far forward in the camper as possible. The major downside is that when the bed is open it will cover the sink and hob. But this design will keep the space in the back of the camper more open, so it will be easier to move around when the bed is open.

I am designing the camper as a one person plus design. The space is so small that it is hard to come up with a design that would be best for two people, yet work good for the solo traveler. All I can figure is a space that works okay for two and is just okay for one. So I am going for a space that is good for one, and okay for two.

The dotted box in the back left is the area for stacking plastic storage totes. The totes will fill the floor space while traveling. Giving storage that will be large in volume, while keeping the COG nice and low.

The unmarked line from A- -B is where a retracting clothes line will be. In addition to being used for drying clothes, it can be used to divide the back section of the camper if the PETT toilet must be used inside the camper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12