The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I was cleaning out the backend of a bookshelf and found these. They are from another era. I sure am happy I have my iPad and apps now!

photo.JPG

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
This could be an interesting storage solution. Looks like they are only available for full size Ford/GMC/RAM trucks at this point, so no love for the Tacoma.

www.ufyt-systems.com

front_banner2.jpg

southpier

Expedition Leader
I think only the bracket to truck bolts would be the tricky part. backbone looks like 80-20 and (I assume) their proprietary brackets to drawer carcase.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
The un-update.

The last three months went nothing as planned. I had hoped to travel down to the Appalachians this spring, but instead ended up needing to move. So my priority the last twelve weeks has been moving out of the woods and back into town, and making another unconventional living space work. Oh well, will continue to look ahead and plan for future traveling.

Have been working on a few little projects and improvements on the camper. Here are a couple things I have been working on.

-I cut a vein in along the edge of the table. It makes the table look finished and more "marine". It just fits me better.

IMG_4648.jpg

-I also cut curtains* for the windows that are insulated with the Reflectix. Makes the camper look a little less refrigerator truck and a little more stealth camper.
*By curtain I mean a piece of nylon (lightweight rain poncho, remember those?) that is wrapped around the outside of the Reflectix.

IMG_4647.jpg

I also have a few more photos on file from last autumns travels. Here are a couple.

IMG_3521.jpg

IMG_3495.jpg

chvy39z

Observer
Nathan
I have been looking for some of the Perforated Aluminum Protector type material. Where did you purchase it? I need to protect my screen before there is a hole in it. Thanks

Camelfilter

Explorer
The un-update.

The last three months went nothing as planned. I had hoped to travel down to the Appalachians this spring, but instead ended up needing to move. So my priority the last twelve weeks has been moving out of the woods and back into town, and making another unconventional living space work. Oh well, will continue to look ahead and plan for future traveling.

Have been working on a few little projects and improvements on the camper. Here are a couple things I have been working on.

-I cut a vein in along the edge of the table. It makes the table look finished and more "marine". It just fits me better.

View attachment 234713

-I also cut curtains* for the windows that are insulated with the Reflectix. Makes the camper look a little less refrigerator truck and a little more stealth camper.
*By curtain I mean a piece of nylon (lightweight rain poncho, remember those?) that is wrapped around the outside of the Reflectix.

View attachment 234714

I also have a few more photos on file from last autumns travels. Here are a couple.

Bummer about the move. Ugh-hate moving...

How did you attach the nylon to the Reflectix? & good idea using that stuff by the way! Rite now I have some cut from those foam window sunscreens. Looks ok, but I don't see them lasting but a few trips. Plus I didn't have one for the rear Flippac window, just used the fold up/roll up kind- looks hideous and keeps flopping about in the wind.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I have been looking for some of the Perforated Aluminum Protector type material. Where did you purchase it? I need to protect my screen before there is a hole in it. Thanks

I looked around the web, and the best price and selection was amazon, I also checked granger/mcmaster/onlinemetals etc. Just ordered this material the other day, it is still in-transit, so I have not had my hands on it yet. This is the stuff I ordered, LINK.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Bummer about the move. Ugh-hate moving...

How did you attach the nylon to the Reflectix? & good idea using that stuff by the way! Rite now I have some cut from those foam window sunscreens. Looks ok, but I don't see them lasting but a few trips. Plus I didn't have one for the rear Flippac window, just used the fold up/roll up kind- looks hideous and keeps flopping about in the wind.

Yeah, moving is a big time suck.

With the nylon covering the Reflectix, I simply cut it about four inches bigger all the way round. As the Reflectix is friction fit into the window, wrapping the nylon around the edges of the first layer seemed to work fine. I have double layers in the windows, so the interior still looks nice as the nylon is only wrapped on the exterior layer.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Trying to figure out why my propane solenoid seems to be drawing so much power. It is supposed to only draw a max of 75ma, but it seems to be pulling more than that. (I am still learning the details of electrical systems.) Ended up ordering a new multimeter to work on this. After reading some reviews and doing a little research I ordered this one.

Does anybody remember how much power the three speed Fantastic Fan is supposed to draw? They changed their website and I could not find technical info.

My old power pack comes in handy when the camper is off the truck. It is wired with a trolling motor outlet, just like the outlet in the truck bed. At least I know how to do a little electrical work.

IMG_0073.jpg

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Considering the power that I am using in the camper. I have a voltmeter on the electrical panel, so I know the condition of the battery. But I would like a way to monitor the amps I am using.

It would be nice if I could put in a digital Blue Sea Systems meter, but they are out of my budget.

I could do an analog meter that would match my voltmeter. LINK

Or I could put in a watt meter, like the Watts Up or this. One of these would be nice as I could track amp hour use, but it looks like it would be a bit of a pain to reset and do I really need that much info.

Thoughts? Advice?

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Saw this at the local campground. It has FWC roots, talked to the owner and looked in the window, interior top section looks just like an older FWC. 2001 model IIRC.

IMG_0020.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan