The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Keep in mind that your cab and bed are on seperate body mounts and flex independently of each other, if the truck "twists" off road those dimensions could change.

Yes, the Gen2 Tacoma flexes a lot.

The static gap is about four inches, but it might be smart to leave a little more room for flex.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Flooring v2

Decided to go a different direction with the floor.

Someone here on ExPo mentioned Mannington icore II commercial flooring as being a good option for use in a camper. I did some research and it looked like a nice product, so I ordered some samples.

This is an interesting product that is made here in the US, it is waterproof, has an air gap to provide insulation and sound deadening. It also has an amazingly tough outer surface, today I beat and scratched away at my samples and there was virtually no damage. It does retail for about $12 SQFT.

adv_composite_flooring.gif

The reasons I did not go with the teak and holly plywood is: I was worried about warping in extreme temperature changes, the flooring glue needed would add extra weight, the surface varnish adds weight and scratches very easily. It would also take some maintenance to keep it looking good, I enjoy building things but I do not enjoy repairing things.

Note: As icore II is a commercial product it is hard to find a place that will sell you the small amount needed for a camper. I bought from floorstoyourhome.com. Their quoted shipping charges are for freight, but call and talk to Adam and he will get the couple cartons needed for a camper shipped via UPS.

Last edited:

pods8

Explorer
Timely flooring talk, I was pondering things myself and I'm currently exploring foam and rubber floor options. If you look at post 83 of my tread I just got a couple samples in: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...op-up-camper-build-thread?p=947011#post947011

Off hand the thin rubber of foam and sport foam have the most appeal to me in this type of product. The samples weigh 2.985g/in^2 and 1.265g/in^2 respectively. Appearance of bother are fairly limited though. Rubber over foam runs $3.6/ft^2 and the sport foam is $2.5/ft^2. For the price/weight I have some appeal towards trying out the sport foam and just float the floor, maybe a bit of light duty adhesive or carpet tape under it make sure it stays down but is replaceable if needed. Should be comfortable under foot, not too cold, moisture resistant(proof?), flexible for temp swings. Fairly cheap to change out down the road if undesirable.

Repost:
Those floor samples are below:

(Left to right)
Rubber tile: Heaviest but has some neat color options.
Thin rubber over foam: Limited color options, seems like it'd wear well, 3rd heaviest.
Wood colored foam: Decent appearance, probably a bit too soft though, lightest.
Wood toned sport foam: A bit more bland but not too bad, decently firm, weight is between regular foam and rubber covered foam.

2011-08-30_20-23-31_626.jpg

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Timely flooring talk, I was pondering things myself and I'm currently exploring foam and rubber floor options. If you look at post 83 of my tread I just got a couple samples in: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...op-up-camper-build-thread?p=947011#post947011

Yes, it was interesting to see us both post about flooring at the same time.

The foam floor is an interesting idea. But it looks thick, and I have no room to spare between my head and the roof of the camper.

Also, would dirt and dog hair stick to it? I hate trying to scrap dirt along the floor.

The floor is an area where I decided I would splurge, both with cost and weight. I was inspired by a friends old Westy that had a beautiful floor, it was just a normal Westy, but the floor made it feel special.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
This is copied from pods8 build thread.

Amtico looks like another good commercial grade product.

Have you looked at Amtico flooring. I have installed it on yachts and there are many builders who use it do to weight, easy install and excellent wear. We actually have it on the yacht I run, installed directly on the cored deck and is comfortable to stand on all day. It is available in hundreds of patterns, I am partial to the wood grain myself. If you do go this route be sure to use their adhesive. I've seen it installed with other adhesive and it has not worked out as well.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
No, I didn't either, sorry...
Just thought it was a place to start.
Google did show some pricing, but did not get that far yet.
Am liking this idea, too. However, would like to have some of that flush-mount tie down track in the picture somehow.

Captm

Adventurer
Amtico

Check your local Floor/Carpet center as it is a fairly common product. I like to support my local stores and have bought Amtico from the shop down the street. Amtico customer service - "Got a Question? Call Us Tel: 1-800-268-4260"
If I had a scale onboard I'd pull up a strip and weigh it. Better get back to work the owner is lurking :088:

pods8

Explorer
Yes, it was interesting to see us both post about flooring at the same time.

The foam floor is an interesting idea. But it looks thick, and I have no room to spare between my head and the roof of the camper.

Also, would dirt and dog hair stick to it? I hate trying to scrap dirt along the floor.

The floor is an area where I decided I would splurge, both with cost and weight. I was inspired by a friends old Westy that had a beautiful floor, it was just a normal Westy, but the floor made it feel special.

The sport foam is 1/2" thick which isn't really much in my mind. I don't particularly think dirt/hair would stick to it any more that a vinyl or something of that nature. The interlocking areas may get a tad of built up but I think a vacuum job occasionally would take care of the issue.

I hear you on how a floor can do a lot for aesthetics which is why I'm a tad torn. I think an African wood or teak resilient vinyl plank would look pretty nice (lots of other options too). I've got some time to decide which in terms of aesthetics, weight, cushion. I'd probably save 20-30lb using foam over the planks. Both options are under $50 so it's not the end of the world to me to try foam and then switch or vice versa if my opinion changes.

12c99c26-3a66-4f8d-acff-1285e923e7cb_300.jpg
1201192e-99d8-431e-bb2e-66966954e354_300.jpg

pods8

Explorer
When I personally considered cork or a natural wood I figured moisture could potentially be an issue, also it's not that light since most of the time it's on a wood backing. If going for that texture I'd think a rubber tile would be better suited.

Back on the Amtico stuff: Is there any major difference between it and the Traffic Master resilient flooring planks at home depot? From the little I've seen on Amtico it seems like it might be a tad thinner (and possibly lighter in turn?).

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Back on the Amtico stuff: Is there any major difference between it and the Traffic Master resilient flooring planks at home depot? From the little I've seen on Amtico it seems like it might be a tad thinner (and possibly lighter in turn?).

All I know is there is a huge difference in quality between the commercial grade icore and regular residential grade plank flooring.

I did notice Amtico has a marine grade line. That would be good stuff.

Captm

Adventurer
More Amtico thoughts

Amtico is tuff stuff. I've dropped tools, brass fittings and once an open bottle of red wine (party foul). No damage or stains, I use a damp cloth for clean up or windex for greasy stuff.
I did make the mistake of going for the cheap stuff at HD for a small home project - still kicking myself for not using Amtico.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78