The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

deadbeat son

Explorer
Any possibility of a second child? My hawk went for nice for a couple, to doing some dancing around 2 adults and 1 infant (and all their STUFF) to knowing it wasn't going to work well for our second kid in the mix so I started building the new one. I can't image a finch being better. Main issue is the galley setup not really working out well.

I don't think there's a possibility of a second child. Honestly, we're a bit old to have a child now, so another is likely out of the picture. I'm sure the Finch would be worse than the Hawk, as it's considerably smaller (5'8" versus 6'6", and narrower as well). The Hawk would be the route I go if I decide to get rid of the Tacoma and go with a FS truck.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I like the way you did the AT. Better than the way I was going to do it.

Thanks! I am going to make the change in the way the bottom is shimmed, but other than that I am very happy with it.

Who fills your tank? I pay by the gallon when I fill mine.

The only show in town fills propane tanks with a flat charge. It's frustrating from a customers standpoint. I would like to siphon over propane from a larger tank, still trying to decide if I want to mess with that.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
It's been a while since I checked in on this thread (perhaps since even before you ordered the camper). Great work Nathanael; it's coming along superbly!

Thanks!

Quick question for you. I'm seriously considering purchasing a FWC next year. My wife and I are expecting, and I wonder if there would be room for the three of us in a Finch. I realize it's smaller than your Eagle, but I believe only by 6" in length. I only need it to be big enough for 5 or so years. After that, we can get something bigger if necessary. Thoughts on this?

The Finch is 10'' shorter than the Eagle.

I think that if you did a custom build out if of the interior it would work. If you put in only what you need and are careful with the use of space there can be a fair amount of room to work with. The big thing is the weight limits with the Tacoma platform.

The other option is selling the Tacoma and buying a full-size truck with a larger FWC. The additional room would be beneficial, but I really love the Taco.

Personally I would have a hard time moving away from the Tacoma. I have recently spent a couple days in a top of the range F350 from 2008. A friend got an amazing deal on it and at first I was jealous thinking of what a roomy camper I could build on it. But I now know that I would really miss driving a Toyota.

deadbeat son

Explorer

You're welcome. You deserve the accolades for a well planned and well executed build.

The Finch is 10'' shorter than the Eagle.

I think that if you did a custom build out if of the interior it would work. If you put in only what you need and are careful with the use of space there can be a fair amount of room to work with. The big thing is the weight limits with the Tacoma platform.

The weight is a big issue, along with the space. I just don't feel comfortable installing a longer camper than the Finch with my DCSB. We really want some of the optional features available from FWC, and I'm afraid the Tacoma just isn't the vehicle to support them. (Heater and outdoor shower namely.)

Personally I would have a hard time moving away from the Tacoma. I have recently spent a couple days in a top of the range F350 from 2008. A friend got an amazing deal on it and at first I was jealous thinking of what a roomy camper I could build on it. But I now know that I would really miss driving a Toyota.

My father visits once or twice a year, and he has a Cummins powered Ram 2500. While I envy his load capacity and fuel mileage, I really don't care for the way the truck drives or its comfort factor (lack thereof). The Tacoma is the perfect truck for me, other than the small bed and limited weight capacity.

Oh well, I have a year to figure things out. In the meantime I'll just watch this thread and live vicariously through you and your amazing handiwork!

pods8

Explorer
The only show in town fills propane tanks with a flat charge. It's frustrating from a customers standpoint. I would like to siphon over propane from a larger tank, still trying to decide if I want to mess with that.

That's a bummer, all the places around me just charge by the gallon, ends up always being cheaper than cylinder exchange too.

Flat charge you say, so if you roll up with a 100lb tank they'll fill it for that same flat charge? :p

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Flat charge you say, so if you roll up with a 100lb tank they'll fill it for that same flat charge? :p

Yeah, I wish. Flat charge on all ''BBQ" tanks, they sure scratch their head when I show up with my fiberglass tank.

It is one of the compromises that are made to live in Central Nowhere.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
You're welcome. You deserve the accolades for a well planned and well executed build.

Oh well, I have a year to figure things out. In the meantime I'll just watch this thread and live vicariously through you and your amazing handiwork!

I could build out your interior, my shop rates are reasonable. :sombrero:

In all honesty, building another camper similar to mine would be simple, as I have spent all the time to figure out how to make my designs work. The work on my camper has been 20% shop work and 80% head scratching. A second similar camper would be 90% shop work and 10% figuring.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
For what it's worth, I have found that most u-haul shops locally sell propane by the gallon. Although to be honest, I don't know that I've seen anyone charge per cylinder unless you're doing an exchange. Most of the big exchange companies cut back to a 15 lb fill in the 20 lb tanks too.

specjoe

The weight is a big issue, along with the space. I just don't feel comfortable installing a longer camper than the Finch with my DCSB. We really want some of the optional features available from FWC, and I'm afraid the Tacoma just isn't the vehicle to support them. (Heater and outdoor shower namely.)

Check out my Finch Shell Setup - been happy with the simple affair with just the forced-air furnace and stovetop to add to the base weight. Never go a month without use and average 60 nights/year at 1-4 nights each time. My girlfriend and I have been comfortable in this lighter setup. You can see some of the layout space without the couch and countertop on my build thread at: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...WC-Finch-Shell-Build-(2008-Tacoma)?highlight=

I did add airbags onto my existing procomp 3" suspension lift, and am looking to get a new custom rear spring pack when I can afford it and decide whether I'm going to add any other weight on on the back (i.e. rear swing-away bumper). Rest of the off-road truck performance with the camper doesn't seem affected too much. Gas mileage with lift, 255/85 A/T Class D tires (33"), and camper ranges from 14-16mpg.

Good luck with your decision!

-joe D.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride

I think a shell and/or custom build would add tons of room. With the narrow galley aisle there is very little open space inside our Hawk.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Aluminum Yakima Bars

After trying various times to get an aluminum bar that would work with my Thule feet, including trying to modify my Thule feet, I have moved over to the dark side.

I bought Yakima.

I have had Thule racks for the last 15+ years and have always been happy with them, but there was no avoiding Yakima this time.

ski3pin bought his aluminum bars from Amazon, I looked around for a while and this looked to be the best place for this size bar.

I ordered one bar in the .058 thickness, half the thickness of ski3pin's and also half the weight at 1.5 pounds. After testing (banging it around) I am happy that it will hold up to my planned occasional use.

Here is a link to the thin tube bar from Amazon. Thin Tube Link And here is a link to the regular or thick aluminum tube. Regular Tube Link

Here is one of those simple solutions that is so great, and you wish you had thought of it yourself.

ski3pin over on WTW came up with this.

I wanted to go with 66" cross bars. I picked up (physically) a set at REI and was surprised at the weight. These pipes are heavy, and expensive at $80 retail. I found I could get aluminum tubing of the same dimensions, 1.125" OD and .875" ID for about half the price and weigh approximate a third of the stock pipes.

gallery_1902_252_24071.jpg

Perfect! I am going to have the Thule tracks installed, but I did not want a rack up there all the time as the added weight of the crossbars is substantial. If I can cut the weight by two thirds then I can see keeping a set of bars mounted on the roof. Now, if I can find some square aluminum tubing to match the Thule bars I can stick with my preferred brand, and reuse the mounts from the topper. Cool!

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Christened

img0714qt.jpg

We christened Hadley's backpack.

After a couple months working on the camper and handful of nights in it, I decided that TARDIS was a good fit. (''the word 'TARDIS' has been used to describe anything that seems to be bigger on the inside than on the outside'') If only out of wishful thinking more than actual fact, but that is what I am working towards.

It was also pointed out to me that something funny might be going on with dimension of time inside the camper, as I seem to loose all comprehension of time when I am working on the camper. (So far I can only go forward in time, no indication of being able to reverse time.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998