The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

Overland Hadley

on a journey
If you want easy to store yet still a very nice riding bike - even for light duty off-road riding check out a Bike Friday Pocket Llama. Pretty much solves the problem of carrying big 'ol bikes. Particularly when you figure weight and space are so premium in your set up. These are the real deal and you could keep it in the camper or behind the front seats when camped etc. These are truly beautiful handmade bikes. Remind me of the Four Wheel campers in a way...kinda weird if you don't know any better, but truly amazing when you "get" it.

Interesting bikes. Maybe someday.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I realize that it's not conducive to the weight reduction strategy you're going for, nor will it be as easy on your aforementioned checkbook as the fork mounts, however last summer I picked up a Yakima SwingDaddy for my and my girlfriends bikes driving across the country (i'm not as much of a clean-freak). It's fairly heavy (47.8 lbs), but fits perfectly behind my Eagle. Maybe 2-3 inches of clearance between the back of the camper and the front of the bike rack. The whole thing swings out of the way when I need to get into the back, and is totally solid while in drive mode. As a bonus, it also works fairly well as a work stand while on the road.

Cheers,
West

Thats good info. I have a hitch mounted bike rack (Thule) but I did not think it would work with the amount the Eagle hangs out the back.

Something I might consider, but... as you mention the hitch mount racks are heavy, and the bike rack would need to be installed after the camper is mounted. This would mean one more thing to do for a short weekend trip.

But thanks for the heads up.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Some details about the weekends camping.

There is some world class camping where I live. The only problem is, it is right where I live, so I never go camping here. I spend lots of time at these locations, but then at some point I head home for the night. My idea has been that the camper will be my ''cabin'' of sorts. A place to spend a long weekend away from the daily routine and ''weekend projects''.

(Don't worry, I still plan to go on six to eight week journeys out west.)

So this last weekend I loaded up the camper and we spent three nights along the lake. It was good to spend some more time in the FWC, even if it is still very much unfinished. (And by unfinished I mean unfinished. My girl sliced open her finger on some exposed aluminum, ouch.) The camper continues to get high marks, it made spending hours in a pouring rain at near freezing temps a fine experience. And just wait until I get the heater in.

A couple things I noted:

The best place to sit, if you want to look out the window, is on the floor. I like to sit with my feet up, so this works just fine for me. I might focus my interior a little less on a couch and a little more on sitting on the floor. We will see how this shakes out as I progress with the interior.

The layout of my planned countertops makes raising the front of the roof hard. I did discover that I like to travel with the bed pulled out so the sleeping bags can stay up on the bed. (This does move some of the weight aft while traveling....) So I started just raising and lowering the front of the roof while laying on the extended bed. It is a little awkward, but I think it might work best for how I have the interior layout figured.

Going to the extra work of having the red/white interior dome lights was worth it.

I can load/unload the camper in thirty minutes. Makes a quick weekend trip easy.

More photos to come. I will get a couple more up tonight, but the rest will have to wait.

Photos from the first weekend in the camper, still as an empty shell.

img1441am.jpg

img1447zb.jpg

img1460fq.jpg

img1471pb.jpg

img1445n.jpg

img1463j.jpg

img1489aa.jpg

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
img1491l.jpg

img1487q.jpg

In the morning I watched a couple of otters swimming and catching fish. After a while they went out to the little rock island and ran about on the rocks.​

Overland Hadley

on a journey
How did you route the wire for your red/white dome lights to the battery? Sounds like you added 2 in the sleeping area?

I just replaced the standard interior dome lights that FWC uses with some marine ones. So I wired them using the factory wires for the dome lights.

(Post about the new dome lights Here)

specjoe

I deleted the FWC mattress, I saved little money by deleting the mattress but I did not want to use it and I did not want to deal with storing it.

I have used the Dreamtime for over 100 nights, it is amazingly comfortable and it is just as comfortable in the FWC. I have two, one for solo traveling and a second for traveling with my girl.

The nice thing about the Dreamtime is that at 3'' it gives a little added room for storing sleeping bags on top of the bed. And extra storage space is gold in these little campers. It can also be folded in half so storing it while using the camper is also easy, and this last weekend I used it as a couch cushion.

I would highly recommend the Dreamtime.

Thanks for the recommendation - looks like I ordered my two just after your post. Been thinking of using my REI member discount on one (20% off, $168, http://www.rei.com/product/797491/therm-a-rest-dreamtime-sleeping-pad) and my girlfriend's as well, but ended up finding the same price at http://www.backcountryedge.com/therm_a_rest-dreamtime-10.aspx and was able to signup for their newsletter and save an additional 12%! 2 dreamtime xl's for under $300 shipped! We had other needs with the REI discounts, anyways. 85 nights on the OEM pads and excited for the rest on something more comfortable!

I really appreciate your post on how these work for you with two pads - been scouring this forum and the WTW one for posts on using the dreamtime xl's as a replacement for the OEM pads. Looks like it should work fine for us, as well. Saw your post on making a storage for solo use - can you elucidate your plans for this removeable built-in storage? Do you know how much weight savings you're looking at now over the stock pads?

Will also try your idea of the use as a couch cushion on the floor, as we're generally happy enough with our Finch shell layout sitting on carpeted sides with one of the shorter 4" pads, but it just ain't that comfortable in there after a really long day hike or bike.

Again, thanks for all your posts!

Cheers,
-joe D.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Thanks for the recommendation - looks like I ordered my two just after your post. Been thinking of using my REI member discount on one (20% off, $168, http://www.rei.com/product/797491/therm-a-rest-dreamtime-sleeping-pad) and my girlfriend's as well, but ended up finding the same price at http://www.backcountryedge.com/therm_a_rest-dreamtime-10.aspx and was able to signup for their newsletter and save an additional 12%! 2 dreamtime xl's for under $300 shipped! We had other needs with the REI discounts, anyways. 85 nights on the OEM pads and excited for the rest on something more comfortable!

I really appreciate your post on how these work for you with two pads - been scouring this forum and the WTW one for posts on using the dreamtime xl's as a replacement for the OEM pads. Looks like it should work fine for us, as well. Saw your post on making a storage for solo use - can you elucidate your plans for this removeable built-in storage? Do you know how much weight savings you're looking at now over the stock pads?

Will also try your idea of the use as a couch cushion on the floor, as we're generally happy enough with our Finch shell layout sitting on carpeted sides with one of the shorter 4" pads, but it just ain't that comfortable in there after a really long day hike or bike.

Again, thanks for all your posts!

Cheers,
-joe D.

Hi Joe, I remember seeing your rig in Kanab last spring.

FIrst off, I am jealous of your location at this time of year. April on the Staircase is fantastic, wish I was there now.

I am planning on using the Dreamtime as a cushion on the bench with the storage totes being used to double the width of the sitting area. But the floor is nice place to sit with a view out the windows. Not sure what the weight is on the stock bed cushions, so I am not sure what the difference is.

Still deciding on how to design the cabover storage space. Basic idea is a flat wood box with an opening top, it would be about 4'' tall. Although that could change.

Glad my info can be of help. :)

specjoe

Yeah - work has me in Kanab from time to time now. Girlfriend had me over there more regular, but she's up here now (making the weekly escapes in the FWC so much easier!). We enjoyed the accessibility of living in Kanab and Page during the winter, but it sure is nice having Boulder Mountain lakes within 30 min. It has been really nice this late winter/early spring. Been able to get out and either camp/hike or backpack every weekend since January! The visitor numbers are pretty overwhelming now, for my taste. I guess that's the tradeoff for location.

Might look into those totes or action packers for the shell couch technique you mention - post a picture if you get a chance. I'll certainly be watching for a finished shot of your overcab storage box. Better yet, swing by the VC in Escalante and show me yourself next time you're over here!

-joe D.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
One thing that I finished up over the weekend was removing the large sticker on the door. I do not mind a FWC sticker, but come on, an 800 number? It felt like a bad billboard. Still need to remove the gooey gunk left on from peeling the sticker.

Stan, if you could send me a small FWC sticker, like the ones that are on the side, I would like to put it on the back door. (Yeah, I am proud to own a Four Wheel Camper.) People are smart, if they are interested in my camper they will google Four Wheel Camper.

img1496t.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater