The Triple Threat Grand Cherokee (2003 WJ)

theksmith

Explorer
some pics from the Mt. Graham area trip...

at Coolidge dam:

IMG_6570.JPG

airing down (pic by DZJeepChic):

10498539_10153169973828710_1184884388307828505_o.jpg

some shots of Lafawnduh by kaspily:

11722598_10153169975048710_2804782237117928407_o.jpg

10986567_10153169974998710_3969768868458819841_o.jpg

theksmith

Explorer
thanks guys.

with regard to doors as a storage spot - i've bumped the extinguisher a few times getting in or out in a hurry and not opening the door all the way, but when sitting inside and the door is closed nothing protrudes in enough to ever be in the way.

both front doors are configured the same except the passenger side doesn't have a leatherman and gets a cheaper small flashlight. i'm going to re-org it all soon as i don't really need the maglight with 700 lumen terralux LED drop-in now that i have that smaller eagletac with 1100 lumen.

theksmith

Explorer
lacking a proper high-dollar awning, i've carried a small tarp with some clips on it to attach to the roof rack, 2 kelty adjustable poles, some stakes and few pegs for a while now.

P1020673.JPG

this setup worked well for the infrequent rain i've experienced on most trips here in the southwest. it worked best tied to a tent or trees, instead of using the poles (as getting mostly free-standing poles guyed out is an art).

DSCN4659.JPG

i'd always planned to improve the setup, and finally did so. here is my ground-pole-less "batwing" experiment*:

IMG_6778.JPG

it still packs down into a tent-pole bag, and sets up pretty quickly.

IMG_6877.JPG

full details can be found here: http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5&page=108

*disclaimer: still pending testing in a full blown storm - it could end poorly if i've overestimated the aluminum pole's strength ;)

thanks!

i've buffed them clear a couple times. in my experience, once they haze you can get them restored but then they will haze again quickly. i think the UV protectant is just a coating, at least on ebay lights (which these are). so once that initial coating is gone they just don't last anymore..
Rustoleum makes a clear uv stable spray paint that works great. Cheap, too!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

RangeDrive

Observer
Can you provide a link to the tarp? Would PVC be better for the poles, seeing as how they flex nicely allowing the tarp to remain tight but also not as proned to breaking? I want to try to duplicate this setup for my ZJ

Nice rig! Where did you pick up your burrito warmer? I haven't seen one like that.

Did you read the thread or just look at the pictures? He's answered this like 10 times. Also mentioned how he made it when he first posted about it. He made it out of a bread pan and a piece of sheet stock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

theksmith

Explorer
Can you provide a link to the tarp? Would PVC be better for the poles, seeing as how they flex nicely allowing the tarp to remain tight but also not as proned to breaking? I want to try to duplicate this setup for my ZJ

kelty noah's tarp, 9ft: http://amzn.to/1LmgGGc

i don't think regular thickness PVC pipe would be strong enough... when it starts raining, even parked on an incline for quick shedding, a fair amount of water-weight is present. but hey, we're all just experimenting here, so post back with whatever you come up with and the results!

Really like the awning setup, will be copying.

which REI tent are you using?

that is a pic of an old REI Hobitat 6, back when they were more "cabin" styled. i didn't like the re-design a couple years ago though. now we use a Coleman 6 person Insta-Tent most of the time on family trips... or else we also have a giant Kodiak Canvas tent if we are just camping in one spot for a few days and not "jeepin". i use my Tent-Cot Oversize most of the time since it's often just me on long trips - still love that thing!

for anyone that was too lazy to read the linked "for full details" thread on Offroad Passport, note that i should have put more rake on the awning, and made it tilt down as it goes away from the jeep. currently, i have to park with the jeep nose slightly up-hill in order to shed water properly with the hatch open.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior