The ultimate cargo slide/tray?

jgaz

Adventurer
I think you are definitely on the right track with the "owner supplied" floor. Plywood would likely be the most popular choice for the reasons you mentioned. A couple of years ago I scored a half sheet of 1/4" alum for almost scrap prices. Something like that with sheet metal dividers screwed into drilled and tapped holes in the base material might be an option for some. Go crazy with a Bridgeport and add slots to accept bungee cord hooks....the sky's the limit. I'm not a fan of diamond plate but that's also an option.

You may have mentioned it before, but, how deep is the drawer you show in your proto type?

Nice work as always and BTW, do you ever sleep? Lol!

Yuccahead

Adventurer
Nicely done.

I had to go out and check for myself to see if the slides would impede access to the 12v outlet that is part of the sub-woofer cover. Seems like it is not a problem. If I were doing this for my Jeep (and I'm not), I would have the passenger-side shelf above the fender fit an Arkpak if possible.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I think you are definitely on the right track with the "owner supplied" floor. Plywood would likely be the most popular choice for the reasons you mentioned. A couple of years ago I scored a half sheet of 1/4" alum for almost scrap prices. Something like that with sheet metal dividers screwed into drilled and tapped holes in the base material might be an option for some. Go crazy with a Bridgeport and add slots to accept bungee cord hooks....the sky's the limit. I'm not a fan of diamond plate but that's also an option.
The wood floor worked out very well. My initial reason for trying it was that it could significantly reduce the cost, but I also think it would provide a base for the average DIY-er to customize to his particular needs. It's much easier for the average person to work with wood than with metal, so if someone wanted to add compartments/dividers, tie-downs, additional shelves, etc., I think wood would make those customizations much more accessible to people.

You may have mentioned it before, but, how deep is the drawer you show in your proto type?
3"

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Nicely done.

I had to go out and check for myself to see if the slides would impede access to the 12v outlet that is part of the sub-woofer cover. Seems like it is not a problem. If I were doing this for my Jeep (and I'm not), I would have the passenger-side shelf above the fender fit an Arkpak if possible.
Thanks, I'll check the dimensions of the Arkpak.

Yuccahead

Adventurer
I thought you'd never ask:
Arkpak Dimensions: External dimensions: 9.45" (240mm) wide x 17.32" (440mm) long x 12.87" (327mm) high

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I thought you'd never ask:
Arkpak Dimensions: External dimensions: 9.45" (240mm) wide x 17.32" (440mm) long x 12.87" (327mm) high

I checked the dimensions on the Arkpak web site last night. The distance between the plastic housing at the bottom of the roll bar and the back of the rear seat is about 15" in a JKU, so it's a bit too large to fit above the inner fender.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm using the factory tie-down locations in my 2013 JKU to mount the slide. no drilling is required, everything bolts right up. The carpet doesn't have to be cut either - I am told that at least one of the slide products on the market requires the carpet to be cut (I won't name them). As for the mounting holes, I am told that earlier models may not have the same tie down locations and the subwoofer may be mounted differently, and I'm also told that 2015 and later models have the subwoofer mounted differently as well, so if anyone has an earlier model or 2015+ JKU with tie down locations that are different could you let me know? I want to make sure I cover all models if possible.

MountingPoints_zps9spafje4.jpg

jgaz

Adventurer
If no one else provides dimensions before tomorrow afternoon, I can measure my son's 2015. How do you want me to check the dimensions? Bolt center to center, also their relation to each other? Is there a point, such as the lift gate striker screws, that you want me to reference that will help you for comparison purposes? Is just a picture of the subwoofer sufficient or are there measurements to the trim panel or ? that will help?

I haven't tried to post pictures here. If I'm unable to do so can I email you the info? Other options?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
If no one else provides dimensions before tomorrow afternoon, I can measure my son's 2015. How do you want me to check the dimensions? Bolt center to center, also their relation to each other? Is there a point, such as the lift gate striker screws, that you want me to reference that will help you for comparison purposes? Is just a picture of the subwoofer sufficient or are there measurements to the trim panel or ? that will help?

I haven't tried to post pictures here. If I'm unable to do so can I email you the info? Other options?

A photo would be great, and if you can't post it you can email it to me and I'll post it so others can see too.

Since it's unlikely they changed the location of all 4 tie downs, check these measurements:

Back left tie down to back right tie down = 32" on centers of the bolts.

Front right (passenger) to back right (old subwoofer location) = 20'5".

Thanks!!
jeff

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Came out really awesome Jeff! :beer:
Makes for a very efficient package with little wasted space.

Thank you!

Stay tuned, more to come. Yesterday I installed the latch - slide it closed and it's latched. Slide the latch sideways and you can pull the tray back. Today I finalized the design of the adjustable shelf supports, the lowest position is about 14" above the tray floor (roughly the height of the inner fenders at the back), and at the highest it's about 22" above the tray floor, which is plenty of room for an ARD 50 qt. fridge/freezer. I don't have the metal on hand to make the shelf brackets, so that'll have to wait until Monday.

jgaz

Adventurer
Sir, I was unable to get with my son today. Kids!!!

I did how ever check out a neighbor's 2015 Wrangler without the subwoofer.

I have attached two photos of the cargo area. The right front (passenger) bolt center to right middle (just forward of where speaker would be) bolt center is 20.5". The left middle to right middle is 32". I believe this is the same you measured. Only difference is what I'm calling the middle bolts are what you refer to as the rear bolts because that's where your slide will attach.

I measured these with a tape and as you know you the bolts are somewhat recessed. If you want this measured to the first decimal place I will go back and use trammel points. I do believe the points are the same on the 2015 floor pan as what you are using for your mock up.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I will try to measure my sons Jeep tomorrow. I have his dog so we have to get together at some point soon. Lol!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Sir, I was unable to get with my son today. Kids!!!

I did how ever check out a neighbor's 2015 Wrangler without the subwoofer.

I have attached two photos of the cargo area. The right front (passenger) bolt center to right middle (just forward of where speaker would be) bolt center is 20.5". The left middle to right middle is 32". I believe this is the same you measured. Only difference is what I'm calling the middle bolts are what you refer to as the rear bolts because that's where your slide will attach.

I measured these with a tape and as you know you the bolts are somewhat recessed. If you want this measured to the first decimal place I will go back and use trammel points. I do believe the points are the same on the 2015 floor pan as what you are using for your mock up.

I will try to measure my sons Jeep tomorrow. I have his dog so we have to get together at some point soon. Lol!

Based on your photos and measurements, the mounting points I'm using haven't changed from my 2013 to the 2015, so what I've done will bolt right up.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!!

Now all I need is someone with a 2007-2010 JKU to check their tie down points for me - I've heard those may be different. Can anyone help?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger