The ultimate cargo slide/tray?

bluehash

Adventurer
Does the woofer need to be removed for the tailgate table?
Also that fender area is a nice place to put an air compressor too.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Does the woofer need to be removed for the tailgate table?
Also that fender area is a nice place to put an air compressor too.

The storage compartment/tailgate table works fine with the factory subwoofer.

StoreGateJK4_zpshi2pse7r.jpg

StoreGateJK3_zps44xpbruu.jpg

greggNJ

Observer
Nice Work

Jeff,

I've been following some of your other threads but somehow missed this one until today. Very nice idea, I'll be keeping an eye on this. I have a Tuffy security deck in my JKU and this would make it easier to access stuff under the deck, although I would have to remove the panel behind the rear seat to accommodate the length of the slide. Maybe I could find some way to lock the seats in the upright position so the cargo would still be secure when topless.

I'm hoping to get the hinges and tailgate reinforcement in the spring.

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
Jeff,

I've been following some of your other threads but somehow missed this one until today. Very nice idea, I'll be keeping an eye on this. I have a Tuffy security deck in my JKU and this would make it easier to access stuff under the deck, although I would have to remove the panel behind the rear seat to accommodate the length of the slide. Maybe I could find some way to lock the seats in the upright position so the cargo would still be secure when topless.

I also have a Tuffy trunk cover for security during soft top season. I think cutting the bottom bit of the forward panel would be an option worth considering, just sucks that it is such a permanent decision. I'd worry about the stability of the trunk cover with no weight on the forward bit.

greggNJ

Observer
I also have a Tuffy trunk cover for security during soft top season. I think cutting the bottom bit of the forward panel would be an option worth considering, just sucks that it is such a permanent decision. I'd worry about the stability of the trunk cover with no weight on the forward bit.

Good point about the weight on it. I guess if I removed the vertical panel it would lose some support. I put the cooler and a bunch of other stuff up there on trips.
Maybe cutting it or trying to replicate the upper part would be a better idea....
Maybe I'll take some measurements this weekend just to see.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Good point about the weight on it. I guess if I removed the vertical panel it would lose some support. I put the cooler and a bunch of other stuff up there on trips.
Maybe cutting it or trying to replicate the upper part would be a better idea....
Maybe I'll take some measurements this weekend just to see.

Maybe I should design a security trunk cover to go along with the cargo slide... hmmmm...

greggNJ

Observer
Maybe I should design a security trunk cover to go along with the cargo slide... hmmmm...

If you make the upper shelf/cargo basket large enough and with a solid floor then dropping it to a low enough position might sort of work.

greasypete

Hi there,

I just wanted to share my rear storage. I am using my JKU at the moment as a family-cruiser for holidays (in southern europe) and I build a cargo area where I can put heavy suitcases on top and put heavier camping stuff underneath inside the drawer.
Under the wooden construction I have a frontrunner cargo slide permanently installed. When I use the car as a daily-driver, I just let the frontrunner in the back and everything else went into the garage. Big things go on top on my rhino rack, wich I like every much. No problems so far, even with the very heavy 80´surfboard, wich we use as a cheap SUP.

23086092275_7dbe607bbf_b.jpg

22463278714_a8d158eac9_b.jpg

packed:
23072427822_7c6bf939bd_b.jpg

19944567733_28e2147195_b.jpg

Pete

Dave_g

What about a 2 dr JK with out the rear seats?

Never any love for the 2 seater, the only problem I can see is the lack of the forward cargo mounts.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
What about a 2 dr JK with out the rear seats?

Never any love for the 2 seater, the only problem I can see is the lack of the forward cargo mounts.

I don't have a 2-door handy, but two weeks ago I stopped by the Jeep dealer to take a quick measurement - it turns out that the length I've made the JKU slide is also a good length for the JK2 without the rear seats out. Different mounting brackets are required for the front end of the rack, I'll have to find a JK2 I can use for a little while and work out a design for the brackets.

Septu

Explorer
Jeff,

I run a DIY rear deck cover frequently throughout the summer. However mine has an open front (rear seat side). I had a plan to cover the area in the corners between the seats and the tub, but never got around to doing it. Took several trips with it, and found that out of sight out of mine seemed to work just fine - to the point I frequently left my JK parked downtown for hours at a time with no issues.

269880_10150223108717595_6941987_n.jpg

This is on my old 2007 jeep (had to make it a little taller to fit the 2012). Works like a charm. My only complaint is that I can't access the fridge from the rear due to the rear bar.

Would love a drawer like what Jeff is building, but would need to sort something out for the fridge first. Haven't run this in a while (I run it when I run my soft top), but I hate the idea of limiting my options when installing mods.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
How accessible is the power port at the sub woofer with this setup?

It's accessible but a bit awkward and very large plugs might be a problem. What I'd do is install an extension, that way the plug can remain in all the time and the socket will always be easily accessible.

Dave_g

I don't have a 2-door handy, but two weeks ago I stopped by the Jeep dealer to take a quick measurement - it turns out that the length I've made the JKU slide is also a good length for the JK2 without the rear seats out. Different mounting brackets are required for the front end of the rack, I'll have to find a JK2 I can use for a little while and work out a design for the brackets.

Excellent, that was my main concern, the front mounting end. Thoughts on it, something to slide under the or interact with the seat mounts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger