The Unnamed - 2019 Ram Power Wagon Build

St8ton

Build Thread for my 2019 Ram Power Wagon.

Granite Crystal - Stock configuration ...had most all the options. It's easier to say what it doesn't have...which is the dual alternators, secondary switch panel, and the adaptive cruise functions. Maybe a few other items, I'll list them if I come up with any...or I'm sure someone will chime in as time goes on.

The basics of the build as it currently sits:
(will update as posts are made here)
UPDATED: 7/16/21

• AEV Salta HD 17" Wheels in gunmetal
  • Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires - 37x12.50x17
  • Toyo Open Country MT - 37x13.50r17
  • Thuren 1.5" Front Springs with Fox 2.0 Shocks
  • Stock Rear Springs w/ 1" Spacer and Fox 2.0 Shocks
  • AirLift Load Lifter 5000 rear airbags w/ Daystar Cradles
  • Hellwig Rear Sway bar and adjustable endlinks
  • Decked Drawer system with accessories
  • Midland MXT 275 GMRS radio
  • Midland 3db Ghost Antenna with A Pillar Mount
  • Dometic CFX35 Fridge
  • AluCab Tilting Fridge Slide
  • Dometic PLB40
  • Expert Power 100ah LiFePO battery with Victron Solar Controller
  • 4thD Solar 80w panel mounted to RTT
  • SmartCap EVO bed cap w/HardKorr Lighting interior lights
  • AluCab Gen 3.1 RTT with Exped Pro Duo Mattress
  • AluCab 270 Shadow Awning
  • DFG Shower Cube
  • Factor55 FlatLink
  • Element Fire Extinguisher
  • Expedition One Bed Rack
  • Various Blueridge Overland Gear items
  • Magnaflow Catback Exhaust
  • BajaDesigns Lighting (S8 20" Lightbar, 4x S2 Fog Lamps, 2x Squadron Pro A-Pillar Lights, 4x S1 Camp/Scene/Backup Lights)

Here she is stock. I hadn't even pulled the winch line out to connect the hook.
frAwEoEh.jpg

mUU0ZMyh.jpg

rSEHX0xh.jpg

Last edited:

St8ton

First item to address was the wheels and tires. As most everyone has said or noticed, these tires are very small proportionally for the truck. The ~33 inch tires helped achieve great numbers in RTI testing and a few other areas...but aesthetically, they had to go. (And are for sale if anyone is interested)

AEV Salta HD 17" wheels provide the perfect fit and backspacing for these trucks. I went with Onyx wheel, it does well with the Granite Crystal color of the truck.
Tires are Falken AT3W 37x12.50x17 all terrains. I absolutely love these tires. I spoke with Drew Howlett, a fellow Power Wagon owner and engineer with Falken and he provided some good insight in to these specific tires. I'm very happy with the decision to run an all terrain at the moment. The truck sees plenty of pavement and the road manners, sound and comfort have been excellent. Offroad I have had zero complaints. More throughout the thread on the tires.

LnWDxF9h.jpg

7uZeFPJh.jpg

WFYtVnwh.jpg

Fitment of 37's is fairly simple on the new 2019+ trucks. A small amount of inner front fender liner can be heated and pressed to clear any potential rubbing at full lock and articulation. That's it. I do not have a lift, leveling kit or any other voodoo at this point in the build.

5VoNr80h.jpg

eYm5J1Zh.jpg

JVkoOt5h.jpg

St8ton

Next up....
Storage Solutions

Decked USA was a fairly easy decision. Clean, simple install, and great functionality. Installs easy in an afternoon and from then on you've got good storage and organization of any items you can fit in the drawers. I added the core trax rails as tie downs, the large D-box and small box, along with the dividers and Drawerganizers for both drawers.

xeNcHcMh.jpg

gNCShwah.jpg

rZDaTaOh.jpg

Something else I changed out shortly after the drawer install was the boat tie down points that Ram has from the factory. I replaced them with zinc plated steel bolt hangers.

rbCvBGwh.jpg

You can see in this photo that the bed light button is hidden but accessible with the Decked installed. You can reach it from above and below the Decked plate. Also, the lights are not blocked in any way.
The Decked system consumes about 12" of height in the bed, leaving roughly 10 inches above for use on top. The Decked can manage 2000 lbs. on top of it, evenly distributed.

St8ton

More storage...

Blueridge Overland Gear is my go-to for bags and various soft storage items. I'm using the Molle Seatback Panel mounted front facing on my rear seat. It's working great to store my Element Fire Extinguisher, First Aid kit and another BROG bag housing Midland GMRS handhelds, batteries, and charge cables.

87nmx9Sh.jpg

1eCwE4gl.jpg

St8ton

Exhaust.

Since day one, the exhaust...more specifically, the Resonator bugged the crap out of me. It just looks like an oversight. Hanging there all ugly, waiting to be removed.

I went with the Magnaflow Catback system that replaces the muffler, resonator and a short section of tail pipe. Magnaflow part# 19200
I did not use the provided giant chrome tip, just not my style...and I think it would have contacted the lower plastic portion of the back fender flare.

gHFRJHWh.jpg

Muffler size difference.
ZssYEmth.jpg

It went on fairly straight forward without much of a fight. And man, does it look so much better without that resonator pipe dangling.
The sound is great. Very mild, little to no drone (1700-1900rpms) and the build quality seems decent. Time will tell.

xb2m08Tl.jpg

I cut the rear provided tailpipe as shown.

y3mOsvKl.jpg

m1BU4kVl.jpg

St8ton

Communications

I've had the pleasure of working with Midland USA for the last 12 months or so. We use several models of their radios for communications with our expedition team and adventures. I've run the MXT400 in my JKU for a year with great results. Any time we are out of the vehicles I grab a handheld to keep communication with those still inside.
For the Power Wagon I chose the Midland MXT275 GMRS Radio for it's compact form and easily hidden base. It's a great little radio and has performed good with the new Ghost 3db antenna. I messed with several different antenna mounts before settling on the passenger side hood mount. I disconnect the hand unit when not in use or need. I just prefer to keep the cabin clear of wires when able.
Here are some phots from the install.

yJ63PTJl.jpg

cERpKaFl.jpg

oNhHjevl.jpg

eIbwn5pl.jpg

3vpTNM4l.jpg

xgyNNIZl.jpg

I like how the antenna blends in with the lines of the vehicle.
nKlrZKCl.jpg

St8ton

Odds and Ends...

Factor55 Flatlink
uXCCeqEl.jpg

67Designs Phone Holder
This was made out of a JKU single ball mount that I already had. Dremel tool and some test fitting...it's held up great.
iToyf5Cl.jpg

FEfdpMTl.jpg

rA2NsRZl.jpg

iPad Air cup holder mount
Made this also, it's a weather tech cup holder mount with a pvc cap and a Ram extension and iPad holder. It's working well too.
IWqLoATl.jpg

dPTkynel.jpg

Explorerinil

Observer
Be careful with that exhaust cut like that, I read on another forum where a guy with his exhaust cut like that on a power wagon melted his rear park sensor wireing and had to replace the entire harness.

I got the manga flow exhaust, and when it goes into 4 cylinder mode it sounds terrible, do you notice that?

what did u do to reprogram your speedomete?

St8ton

Be careful with that exhaust cut like that, I read on another forum where a guy with his exhaust cut like that on a power wagon melted his rear park sensor wireing and had to replace the entire harness.

I got the manga flow exhaust, and when it goes into 4 cylinder mode it sounds terrible, do you notice that?

what did u do to reprogram your speedomete?
Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye on it and maybe do some preventative heat protection. I've done some "stick my hand under there" testing after driving for a while and felt no heat transfer to the bumper.

I cancel the MDS often while driving. A truck this size should not have it. But yes, you can notice it...the same way you notice it with the stock exhaust.

I reprogrammed the speedometer to my correct tire size using the Hypertech Speedometer Calibration tool.

St8ton

Great build and photography! Where do you have your CFX35 and PLB40 installed? 2nd row? Curious if you did some type of seat delete or have it mounted on top of your DECKED system when out exploring.

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

Use promo code Expedition20 for $25 off your order of $75+

Thanks! I use the Ram provided platform and run the fridge behind the driver seat. The PLB sits in the middle on the floor with the option of plugging it in to the factor outlet if needed. It's working great so far. The only thing that would make it better would be it it open on the side rather than the end.

dmTTIxkl.jpg

sOaw4cHl.jpg

Explorerinil

Observer
Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye on it and maybe do some preventative heat protection. I've done some "stick my hand under there" testing after driving for a while and felt no heat transfer to the bumper.

I cancel the MDS often while driving. A truck this size should not have it. But yes, you can notice it...the same way you notice it with the stock exhaust.

I reprogrammed the speedometer to my correct tire size using the Hypertech Speedometer Calibration tool.
I’ve heard they didn’t make one for the 19 trucks... can u post a link to the one you have? Did it plug into the obd port or did you have to do like some folks (ram tazer) and remove the dash and and buy a separate wireing harness?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears