The Utilitarian-Camper 2nd Gen Tacoma

Well I have spent quite a bit of time looking at latches and just cant seem to find what I'm looking for. Ideally the latches would be on the sides of the doors so you wont see that mechanics. What I'd like to find is a lift up handle latch (like you see on tailgates) that locks and has the sliding pins that go to each side of the door. Think one latch in the middle of the door that locks on each side of the door. I think for clearence issues the long rod pins type would be ideal. I know something like this exists but I cant seem to find them?

Costman13

Adventurer
Look closely at a camper shell mechanism. I believe with your fab skills and innovation, you would have no problem replicating a similar design. The are very simple, and if put together correctly should work great. Just a thought.

Clutch

<---Pass
Look closely at a camper shell mechanism. I believe with your fab skills and innovation, you would have no problem replicating a similar design. The are very simple, and if put together correctly should work great. Just a thought.

Yep, snugtop and others have a popout handle that might do the trick. can be opened from the inside too.

I have a spare mechanism if you want to play with it lx450.

SNUG_LOCK_BARS_009.306162920_std.JPG

flush_lock.jpg

REPLACEMENT_PARTS_015.306150330_large.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I was hoping to just find something off the shelf as latching systems tend to wear over time and just being able to throw a spare at it certainly would be nice. I was able to locate this latch system but unfortunalty they are in the UK and I cant seem to find anyone who sells something like it here.
http://www.westonbodyhardware.com/our-products/section-c-latching-systems/

Attachments

• main-image1.jpeg
    main-image1.jpeg
    12.3 KB · Views: 1,673

Costman13

Adventurer
X2. This is what I had in mind. I believe they have a "T Handle" that you turn and is recessed into the door or window. I'm not sure about how they lock, but I'm sure they do.

Clutch

<---Pass
I went ahead and ordered these.

http://www.realworktrucks.com/servi...-handle-kit-2-point-cable-operated-21dlc.html
not exactly what I wanted but im on a deadline and you can never really be happy with something like latches until you use the camper and get a feel for what really works. The nice thing about these are the cable links so it should be pretty forgiving when I go to mount them in the tight space have to work with.

Do you have a picture? The link is to the home page.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger