The VagabondExpedition Jeep Build (& Adventures)....

So, I've been kicking around on ExpeditionPortal for a long time - but with work and the usual life chaos never really become very active here. I have threads over on a few other sites too (WranglerForum, OverlandBound), but figured I best post up a thread here too, as it will give me reason to visit here more often and stay up to date in what's new and exciting. Plus, I have more time on my hands now, so I'll be looking for more places to travel and explore - which ExpeditonPortal will be a huge help to that.

After the Storm by e j, on Flickr

Anyway, the VagabondExpedition Jeep has been around since I purchased it new in June of 2012. It's a 2012 Sahara Unlimited "Altitude Edition". I had no plans to modify the thing and really wasn't expecting to keep it much longer than 6 months to a year. It's now September 2017, and it's been the longest owned vehicle I've ever had. I do have a love-hate relationship with the thing, so for now, it stays.

I'll give a brief run down on the current build, post up some older photos and videos of the build to do some catching up to how it sits today, so expect a few things to be scattered until I do catch up and things post in a chronological order.

In the mean time, you can catch some more of my photos on Instagram and videos on YouTube.

In the Badlands by e j, on Flickr

I came from Ontario, Canada, relocated with the Jeep (unmodified) to Alberta and am now enjoying a mini-retirement and kicking around in British Columbia, Canada. Debating on a big overland trip over winter vs if I should stick it out and wait until spring to venture out again.

The current build on the Jeep consists of...
- ARB shocks
- Metacloak dual rate springs (approx 3.5" lift)
- Terraflex tailgate hinge
- 35" BFG KO2 tires
- Worx Triad wheels
- Gobi Stealth rack
- Yakima cargo box
- various Rotopax
- Rigid Industries LED lights all the way around
- KC Highlights LED headlights
- Thule bike carrier with Scott Genius mountain bike
- Trasharoo
- Synergy Baja Rack inside
- ARB steering stabilizer
- Hellwig heavy duty rear sway bar

I used to run a Tepui Kukenam Siberian Camo roof top tent, but sold it off for various reasons (blog post here)

Tepui Tent in the Cold of Winter by e j, on Flickr

Anyway, enough rambling for now.
I'll do some updates on this thread to bring you up to speed on my rig and a few of my adventures!
Hopefully I can meet a few of you in the future while out on adventures!

One of my most used and favorite mods is the simplicity of a tailgate table. I used to run with a molle based table that I know a lot of us purchased off a particular seller on ebay.
It was a great table - but a friend in Calgary Alberta made this particular one so I jumped at the opportunity to own one - it is nice and big and has a slide out 'cutting board' (ie extra work space) section too.

Large size, big back splash, and it has no rattles at all sold me.

Since parting ways with the Tepui Roof Top Tent , I went back to basics of sleeping inside the Jeep. Don't get me wrong - that RTT was great - but it does have some drawbacks for me and my particular style of travel and exploration (5 reasons I sold the roof top tent -on the blog).

In order to be comfortable inside a Jeep Wrangler, you do need to compromise a bit. It is a snug fit for me (5'9" tall), but being on a bit of an angle solves the problem. You also need ventilation, a way to cover the Jeep rear seat "trench" and a bed platform.

You get the basic idea of the bed, but above I talk mostly about the window screens for ventilation and how I made those as a slide over 'sock' type design.

Added in a trailer harness. This is a super simple "plug 'n' play" system that took only a few minutes to install with minimal tools.

As much as I'd like an adventure trailer now, I really still prefer being fully self contained in the Jeep.

HRPINDC

Adventurer
Nice, welcome to Expo Portal. I've viewed your threads on WF and have enjoyed your travels and pics.

Thanks for following along on WF. You'll likely see most of the same thing here too, but I hope to add more value to my posts here with in depth trip reports, etc.

"Cool factor" and "foolishness" were the motivating factors in the purchase. Of course, 5 years later, I'm not regretting it. Knock on wood, I also seemed to have a good Wrangler with no significant issues showing yet after all this time and over 125,000km on the odometer.

Nice, welcome to Expo Portal. I've viewed your threads on WF and have enjoyed your travels and pics.

Thanks for following along on WF. You'll likely see most of the same thing here too, but I hope to add more value to my posts here with in depth trip reports, etc.

Crunch337

Thanks for sharing your build. I'm also setting mine up to sleep inside. I'm headed out today to get the screen repair kit for ventilation as I'm looking to get out for my first little adventure with my dog in a few weeks.

I had a few repairs done to the Jeep over the past couple of weeks - from new rear brakes, a drag link, an ovaled out rear sway bar link mounting hole, etc., and since I haven't really been 'off road' since most of that was done (a lot of highway miles though), I figured a shakedown of the rig was in order to make sure what is supposed to moves moves, and what isn't supposed to move doesn't.

It's an interesting little 'urban park', but wasn't much of a challenge for the Jeep. At least I was able to identify a couple of other minor problems and got those promptly sorted out.

Some of you might be interested in these window screens. Cool idea, I'm looking forward to putting them to the real test over the next few days!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998