The Wanderers build

superbuickguy

Explorer
6 hours of work and it looks pretty much the same
463pwO1h.jpg

did fill some extra holes so I guess I did something?
qjXhUeVh.jpg

6nzXnSHh.jpg

FPsuspOh.jpg

okay, so maybe a bit of paper and tape....
r176P0mh.jpg

Q5X3Aheh.jpg

hopefully tomorrow I'll start on actually rolling bedliner in the front. I'll spray in the 'back' area but in front, there's just too much that I don't want slathered in bedliner.....

superbuickguy

Explorer
so I made an executive decision. I had grey Durabak that I was planning on putting under the 64 wagon. As that project is likely a next winter project, and Durabak has a shelf life - I figured I'd use it now.
getting ready - decided also to roller to not get overspray on everything else
uYqBa8J.jpg

and coat 1
uo1wyRUh.jpg

coat 2
Bxr7MPNh.jpg

z6wuXdLh.jpg

ZcmmvOZh.jpg

this is the same stuff I put in the FJ40 - and it really is pretty tough. Nice that it's smooth - though no one will see when the carpet is in....

superbuickguy

Explorer
my powder coated parts came back.... some look pretty good
vwzFY6Th.jpg

but the sand blaster portion messed up.
If I wanted to do a skeleton view paint job.... he nailed it....
Y56jClwh.jpg

both doors - you can see it right there in the middle. I thought "I should be sure they all know about blasting body parts" ... then I convinced myself that would be stupid as they're pros
AOgGc1Xh.jpg

fortunately this was so wavy before that I don't think it's any worse (matter of fact, it seems right)
lPgzGJbh.jpg

storing the fenders on the truck
pNJMN6wh.jpg

ExpoMike

Sadly, I have heard of too many horror stories of sheet metal being completely ruined by blaster companies. Bummer the screwed up your doors and gate.

superbuickguy

Explorer
spent a couple minutes on the tailgate today
problem was I wasn't paying attention to my helper and he got a bit jiggy with the grinder
ZKmmudGh.jpg

so I got to spend a few minutes playing heat shrink... actually worked out pretty well
VuwoqCUh.jpg

new doors and hood should be here Monday...

superbuickguy

Explorer
tomorrow, I'm supposed to get the replacement doors from the powder coater (and hood).... so time to get this moving forward
spent some time hammer and dollying the starting the bondo process
078IvtPh.jpg

Cl6veDrh.jpg

and cleaning the roof
Don worked on this for awhile then we rust killed it....
0PtObDPh.jpg

and started pulling the front window. I can't not do it. my black truck has rust at the corner of the window... those familiar with squarebodies know this - the rubber pulls with age allowing water in the top of the windshield frame, it sits at the bottom and eventually causes rust. I'd be quite annoyed if, after I fully did the paint job, having to do this... so I'll pull the window and replace the rubber... and if necessary, fix the frame.

superbuickguy

Explorer
oh I should probably mention this here... the Suburban is going up for sale.... 12.5k 1994 6.5 diesel, 250,000 miles, 10 gal water, diesel heater, bed arrangement, arb awning and dometic refrig.... and a lot more.

superbuickguy

Explorer
more done today
made the decision to simply fix the original driver's door
7xUbrrd.jpg

nvogc7oh.jpg

and set the hood on it along with removing the window... good thing - there was a rust spot developing....
N2rqnadh.jpg

worked on the door but not pictures... should say, Don worked on it, looking far better now

superbuickguy

Explorer
so onto another task... now to save a door (and the irony is I may have just bought a NOS door).... ah well, when fixed it will sell for what I'm paying for the other
first, mark the spot
h2wjynzh.jpg

take apart the other piece I cut off before
1cUFc66h.jpg

trim and test fit
Iapg64Rh.jpg

then go back to my comfy chair because that probably was too much effort after surgery yesterday...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior