The War Wagon: A 2005 Toyota Tundra AC's transformation to Overlanding Rig

CrewServed

"That" guy
SOOOO stoked to find a thread about prepping 1Gen Tundras for actual expeditions!
Man, I've been out of touch with ExPo. There are others around here who are silly enough to modify their Gen 1 Tundras, as well! I got a lot of my ideas from them.
TireGate HG
I'm very curious about this. I'd been eyeballing them for a while but just didn't want to commit the money to the experiment. Keep us posted!
I'll start another thread for my self
Link, please! I'd love to watch your rig transform.

As for this build thread, I've just placed an order for a weld-together All-Pro Off-Road APex Pack Rack. The Thule Xsporter was a fine "for now" solution, but I've always hated the way it gobbles up bed space. Really, I'm just looking for a more elegant solution to the challenge of carrying my gear over the bed of the truck. Lead time on the Pack Rack is about 3 weeks, so be patient, and we'll see how it shakes out.

Oh! If you decide that the APex is your speed of bed rack, then I suggest ordering it in the weld-together kit as I did, and save yourself the $100 labor plus the additional freight charges. In its disassembled state, it is shipped via parcel service, and only cost me $55 to ship to CA. I'm sure you guys who don't know how to weld (like me) can find a buddy who'd slap it together for a sixer of beer and a pizza.

SBSYNCRO

I'm leaving on a 10-day Baja Spearfishing trip this weekend. It will include at least 200 miles of dirt roads so we'll see how the Tundra does! The NATO jerry cans from Lexington Container just arrived yesterday. (oh, and yea - I know green is for diesel - they were out of stock on the red cans and they made me a deal on these...).

It's an "Adventure Series" tire carrier from Tiregate - no spare installed yet, since I managed to fit the 33" spare into the stock location and I don't have the 6th tire on there yet.

photo.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Stone_Blue

Adventurer
Hey Sbsyncro, I recognize you from TS... :wavey:

Thats an interesting design on that rear carrier...havent seen one like that before...I see it looks like its not a full bumper-width gate, and that its centered on the bumper...With the hinge inboard that far from the end of the bumper, do you still have room to lay the tailgate flat when the gate is open???

SBSYNCRO

Exactly. Its the "offset" model for trucks. With the gate about 80% open, I can drop the tailgate. Seems very stout, and the area for the tire will accommodate up to a 40" tire. When not carrying a tire, it will fit a water jug or small cooler. Plus it can be removed and used on any truck (unlike a custom bumper).

Stone_Blue

Adventurer
Ahhh... OK...I actually took a look at their website this time...The whole thing looked centered in your pic because of the angle...Hows the license plate light wired up?...Do you have to tap into the rear lights, or does it use some sort of thru-plug adapter on the stock trailer plug?

SBSYNCRO

Ahhh... OK...I actually took a look at their website this time...The whole thing looked centered in your pic because of the angle...Hows the license plate light wired up?...Do you have to tap into the rear lights, or does it use some sort of thru-plug adapter on the stock trailer plug?

They give you kind of a hokey wiring kit (I'm used to marine grade wiring, so my standards are pretty high). It uses a pair of spring loaded brass "buttons" to make contact when the gate is closed. The ground lead of the LED light is attached to the carrier itself using a pre-drilled hole and supplied self-tapping screw. Then you run a wire to a tap - I just tapped into one of the existing license plate lamps. The problem is that it relies on making the ground through the hitch connection, and whether due to rust, grease, or powder coating, I don't have continuity between my truck frame and the carrier, therefore, I'm not making a ground connection and the light isn't working.

Since I don't plan to drive at night in Baja, I'm not too worried about it - hopefully after a thousand miles of bouncing around, the unit will wear enough so that a ground connection will be made.

The other tricky part is re-wiring the backup camera (which I consider essential, since this thing sticks out a good 24" behind the truck, just begging to smash into things while backing up). I'm working on that this morning!

CrewServed

"That" guy
Seeing a HitchGate in the wild is a whole 'nother experience to seeing their promotional stuff on the internet. For obvious reasons, I'd always thought of it as a thing that you only attach when you need it, but it's becoming clear that it's something that will spend more time on than off.

Question: how much of a pain would it be to remove it and reconfigure your truck when you don't need that sixth spare or the extra fuel cans? Would it be worth the effort of putting it back together for every trip and then taking it all apart again once you're back home?

SBSYNCRO

I plan to take it off when it's not being used. I'm lucky in that I work from home so I don't drive the truck much. About 50% of the time it is used, it will be for trips where the hitch gate will come in handy. The biggest hassle is moving the license plate and swapping the power and RCA Cable for the backup cam. That and the sucker probably weighs 150 lbs so it is not easy to move around. It stays as one piece though.

Last edited:

CrewServed

"That" guy
Okay, it's been some time since I've posted an update. About a month ago I bought an All Pro Off-Road APEx bed rack to replace the Thule Xsporter that I've had for about a year. I ordered it as a weld-together kit to save on labor ($100) and freight (don't know how expensive that would have been).

Finally had some time on Saturday to weld, paint, and install it, so here goes!

Doing some dry fitting. Note all the paper on the truck to keep the spalling off.
6fb0e9914ff7ccaaafed6d2008c8487a.jpg

We used the stabilizing bars to determine spacing. This was the only way to get the spacing between hoops just right.
6e78ad2ca5f3835d45c4fdffda5eeeff.jpg

All the hoops are on, and the bars have been dry-fitted as well. We squeezed them between the hoops using a cargo strap, and my brother is tacking them in place in this photo.
4b206b1c07d6582474e8173cea61aa45.jpg

I'm no welder. I actually kind of suck at it, but Joe insisted I weld something, so there I am welding a gusset in place.

Two things: the weld was horrendous (lol), and I have a sunburn on my arms (lol).
681d147818f6fd673bf684afa782b505.jpg

All primed! Had to mount it and close up shop since my brother had somewhere to be.
e96ff9a62f3ec8164f6682fc154657e9.jpg

Fun fact: the rack is mounted using eight grade 5 bolts on four backing plates with threaded holes. They are 5/16-18 bolts with 1/2" heads and are very easy to confuse with M8 metric bolts. This is probably why I had 7 SAE bolts and one metric bolt in the kit.

I didn't figure that out right away, and at first thought I just had a wonky bolt with a jacked-up thread. Of course, that's the bolt that I brought into the hardware store with me to buy a replacement. So then I had two of the wrong bolt. Amazing.

After I figured out what the problem was (the markings on the head were what tipped me off), I went back to hardware store, and of course they didn't have the right bolt in the right length in grade 5. So now I have two M8 bolts and a spare grade 8 5/16-18 bolt.

The lulz are plentiful.

Aaaanyway, I brought the rack home, and with the help of my prettier (and better-smelling) half put the rack on the ground in my side yard to finish painting with some flat black Krylon camouflage paint. I chose that brand because it's readily available at any Walmart or hardware store, and it's especially flat, so far as my calibrated eyeball can tell.
47f0b5f92202e566aef9711b1b7a35f3.jpg

Of course, I didn't take any pictures of it finished and put on the truck with the awning and tent, because I derped pretty hard after finishing the job. I'll post again later tonight after I get home and get the cool-guy Hi-Lift mount bolted on, as well.

CrewServed

"That" guy
Thanks, Derek! It can definitely be used as a limber rack, but it sits a couple inches lower than the roof of the cab, so there are some length limits on what can be carried up there. I still have to figure out how to easily get the RTT on and off, though.

CrewServed

"That" guy
OP Delivers!

As promised, some pictures of the truck and rack with everything bolted on.

The awning is now mounted directly to some bent flat bar stock that my brother welded on. There is one bracket each on the front and the rear hoops of the rack.
F4U4g3S.jpg

The awning now sits closer to the truck bed, which is nice. It's good to not have it sticking out and catching on things on a trail.
b2fWhtK.jpg

The Hi-Lift is now on the rear hoop. Its previous location on the passenger side bed rail wasn't great, since it made it a PITA to grab anything out of the bed of the truck from that side. I suspect that I'll only hit my head on the jack in its new location a dozen times before deciding it needs to move.
fCGK1sI.jpg

I'll probably Loc-Tite this cool-guy mount from Hi-Lift in place and then cable lock the jack to the rack to keep the honest people honest.
8HEUziY.jpg

dyogim

Explorer
I had thought about getting the AP set-up as well, looks nice. Any plans to cover it with canvas to keep debris/dust/sunlight out?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger