The "What Did You Do To Your Pop-Up Truck Camper Today?" Thread!!!

Camelfilter

Explorer
Built up version 2.0 of my slide out/drawer with a "spinny thing". It's for my surplus cabinet which has 2 tables.

I got the idea for the cabinet from the "RoamingRobertsons" / "Shruk", whom I bought my FP from. I'm pretty sure I got the idea for the lazy Susan on the drawer from someone on here, but I don't recall who-sorry for that. It's a great idea!

image7.jpg

image8.jpg

image9.jpg

Last edited:

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
Tonight I started out by scrubbing the canvas...man it was dirty. Couldn't quit while I was ahead and washed the entire outside; looks mucho better!

The UPS guy brought my LED lights so I'll try to get them installed tomorrow.

>>>---WW---->

I went to a yard sale last weekend and found a NEW set of HiJacker steps for $15 bucks. Figure I saved a couple hundred. There was no bracket to mount them with. So I fired up the welder and made my own.

takesiteasy

Adventurer
Tonight I started out by scrubbing the canvas...man it was dirty. Couldn't quit while I was ahead and washed the entire outside; looks mucho better!...

That's my job for tomorrow (too cold today). I added a master shut-off switch to the elec. system so I can save battery when we are away from the camper. The remote controlled fantastic fans create a phantom power draw that I wanted to eliminate. This was easier than switching the fans. I left a couple of 12 v outlets hot so I can still run the fridge or charge a phone. Once the camper is cleaned up from the winter, it is going on the truck.

kpredator

Adventurer
northstar popup

latest completed projects. washed fabric inside and out.
replaced fantastic fan lid
took out 3 way fridge installed new dometic
always something to improve
kp

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
First thing I did was steal an idea posted by 1stDeuce. I installed a small voltage gauge with a switch so I could monitor my battery voltage. The switch was already in place for the water pump, but was in a poor location, so I used it for the gauge and will install a new switch closer to the sink. I'm pleased with the voltmeter gauge considering it was $7. the back is a little exposed, so I wouldn't mount it where it could be hit or get wet. here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B689UGA/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item

And here is the installed picture. I wasn't able to cut the paneling as cleanly as I would have liked so I may build a panel some day.

NorthstarPU005_zpsf638e27f.jpg

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
LED Lights Install

Today I also swapped my old incandescent lights with LEDs. My little pop-up only has three lights; (1) double, and (2) singles. I purchased them off of Fleabay for a total of $45 shipped. Here are the links:

Double:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271454797495?item=271454797495&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OU:US:3160&vxp=mtr

Single:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271454797492?item=271454797492&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OU:US:3160&vxp=mtr

Installation was very easy. Remove the old lights, connect the wires of the new lights, and screw them in. The new lights are smaller than the old ones that were in my Northstar, so the holes obviously didn't match up. I'll have to fill in a few of the old screw holes, but no big deal. The new lights did not come with screws, and the old screws were too long, so keep that in mind.

NorthstarPU002_zps93535a00.jpg

NorthstarPU003_zps03bd929a.jpg

OK, here are the pics so you can get an idea of the light comparison. The first picture will show the original light, while the second will be of the new LEDs. The LEDs actually seem just as bright in real life, and strangely, warmer than the originals. I'm very pleased with the light output. I'm not sure the pictures give a truly accurate representation of the light, but I used the same camera with the flash turned off. Honestly, the double seems a little too bright, and only has a two-way switch; so it's either off or on with both lights. If you don't want as much light. I'd consider going with a single.

NorthstarPU007_zps8cd3ab71.jpg

NorthstarPU010_zpsc5578754.jpg

NorthstarPU008_zps11ab8edc.jpg

NorthstarPU007_zps1676b053.jpg

NorthstarPU009_zps9d6ba0f2.jpg

NorthstarPU009_zps45dd7d02.jpg

Last edited:

freedomrider

Ordinary average guy
OK, here are the pics so you can get an idea of the light comparison. The first picture will show the original light, while the second will be of the new LEDs. The LEDs actually seem just as bright in real life, and strangely, warmer than the originals. I'm very pleased with the light output. I'm not sure the pictures give a truly accurate representation of the light, but I used the same camera with the flash turned off.

The camera's built in light meter will adjust the exposure parameters (shutter speed/aperture/etc) so both light situations will yield equal exposure levels.

Honestly, the double seems a little too bright, and only has a two-way switch; so it's either off or on with both lights. If you don't want as much light. I'd consider going with a single.

My camper has the double LEDs and I agree that it's often too bright, especially over the bed.

I've been enjoying this thread and watching the improvements to your camper. It's coming along nicely.

Cheers,
Mike

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
I've been enjoying this thread and watching the improvements to your camper. It's coming along nicely.

Thanks, Mike. I've been enjoying the small things I've done so far. What I'm doing doesn't warrant a build thread, so I hope as many people as possible jump in this one and post up whatever they are doing. I love seeing new ideas and learning from others and hope this will become a good place for the smaller stuff.

Last edited:
LaVeta Completa!!

P5170018.JPGP5170017.JPGP5170020.JPGP5170021.JPGP5170022.JPGWell, after a few weeks of doing cleaning, re-sealing, wood work, calking, and installing various things, I'm really psyched that I loaded up my Hallmark LaVeta 1995 onto my 2000 Toyota Tundra. Prior to loading it, I taped off the mid line on the front of the camper and my truck bed. This made it way easier to load. This camper is new to me and prior to buying it I was a little unsure if the heater worked, but after I loaded it up I went through all the systems and everything works fine!

For tie downs I used turnbuckles with heavy duty porch swing springs. I've read they're rated to about 1000 lbs each when tensioned and my LaVeta has a dry weight of just under 700lbs, so no problemo.

I also found a used set of torklifts that I ended up cutting shorter so that the width of my rig is no wider than my side mirrors. I had to use some 5,000 lb test spectra prussic cord to make the length on the tie downs-will replace with steel soon... I also found an aluminum fabricator in Idaho that makes nice side mount ladder racks which will work nicely for carrying my cataraft oars!

To lighten up the rig and reduce my width I removed my four jacks. I figure each one of them weighs about 40 lbs each, so it was a no-brainer to take them off as I plan to have the camper on the truck for the summer.

Last edited:

Beamer pilot

Explorer
I had to use some 5,000 lb test spectra prussic cord to make the length on the tie downs, but hey, I run good white water! I also found an aluminum fabricator in Idaho that makes nice side mount ladder racks which will work nicely for carrying my .[/QUOTE]

The cord makes me nervous but then again it's rated higher than the springs !!!
Nice clean interior.

I had to use some 5,000 lb test spectra prussic cord to make the length on the tie downs, but hey, I run good white water! I also found an aluminum fabricator in Idaho that makes nice side mount ladder racks which will work nicely for carrying my .

The cord makes me nervous but then again it's rated higher than the springs !!!
Nice clean interior.[/QUOTE]

I know- think another trip to the hardware store is in order to get some steel links to replace the prussic cord...

Hmmm... good question. I'll have to check tomorrow. I do like the tail gate/porch-it's nice to sit on and drink a barley bop after a day of mountain biking or boatin'.

No Bueno! Turns out I can't access my spare tire w/the tail gate down- arrrrrrggggg! So, the last time I got a flat was probably about 12 years ago, but you know what they say... guess I'll remount the rear jacks and see if I can get enough clearance just raising up the rear to remove the gate. I plan on traveling in some pretty remote places this summer and I do need to be able to access my spare. Lesson learned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears