The "What Did You Do To Your Pop-Up Truck Camper Today?" Thread!!!

cuttyy

Softside repair

Only tear in the soft side after Po lost the roof doing 60 mph on the highway. He forgot to secure front latches roof folded and blew off the back. Secured seam with fabric glue and clothes pins . I will seal again with sail tape. SORRY can not get pics to come out no matter how I turn them only happens on this forum.

Attachments

• IMG_0306.jpg
    IMG_0306.jpg
    582.3 KB · Views: 61

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
When new we lined our cabinets with that rubber liner so everything sorta stays put.

Thanks for the tip! I'd forgotten about that stuff, and probably still have some in my work bench. I'll add it to the list!

No new mods in the last couple of days, we've been in the mountains using it.:) Now she's off the truck ready for the next upgrades.

takesiteasy

Adventurer
Earlier I touched up the paint on the plywood where I had cut a hole for access to the inverter plug in the bed and some other areas that had been cut or scraped. The plug is wired to an outlet in the camper. Today we pulled the camper out of the garage, washed the camper and did the 3M 303 treatment to the vinyl; and finally got the camper loaded on the truck for the summer. :wings:

IMG_1694.jpgIMG_1693.jpgIMG_1696.jpg

shanz3n5

Adventurer
very cool
Earlier I touched up the paint on the plywood where I had cut a hole for access to the inverter plug in the bed and some other areas that had been cut or scraped. The plug is wired to an outlet in the camper. Today we pulled the camper out of the garage, washed the camper and did the 3M 303 treatment to the vinyl; and finally got the camper loaded on the truck for the summer. :wings:

View attachment 230292View attachment 230294View attachment 230298

Camelfilter

Explorer
Yesterday I washed, prepped & coated my Flippac with Zep floor shine. It rained while the 5th coat was still drying, so I'm not sure how that might affect longevity. Doesn't look bad, some streaking due to the rain, but from 5 feet it looks excellent.

The primary reason I did this was that I think the original clear coat gave out. I was getting white streaks on my rear truck windows which look like Teridactyl poo! I'm used to fiberglass toppers streaking on windows, but this was just annoying.

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

Last edited:

Camelfilter

Explorer
Took a look after coffee & the rain didn't do TOO much damage, just some streaks. Could have left it be & would have been super at 5 feet.

Instead, I took some "swiffer" pads to it to get the pollin & such off. Then have it 5 more coats of the Zep...

It's like glass now, I'm super pleased with how it turned out! :)

image1.jpg

Last edited:

NivekD

Roaming ROF
Built a cart for it and now I can roll it around where I want it.

Cart1_zpsb6c73568.jpg

Cart2_zps2d2f2bc5.jpg

Also replaced the vent that had seen better days, still need to seal it. What do you guys prefer for sealant? I have Dicor and Kool Seal.

Old one:

Vent1_zps7b43d50e.jpg

New one:

Vent2_zps2e3c33f0.jpg

Scoutman

Explorer
Built a cart for it and now I can roll it around where I want it.

New one:

Vent2_zps2e3c33f0.jpg

Use the self leveling dicor. Put a dollop on each screw head and then a good thick bead around the base where it meets up to the roof. Make sure it's good and clean and then let set for a while.

Nice cart, looks a lot like the one I built for my camper roof rebuild.

IMG_20130623_182741_399 (Large).jpg

Last edited:

kerry

Expedition Leader
Butyl rubber tape is the best sealant. It's what was typically used OE. It remains soft and pliable indefinitely. Had a roof vent on a 71 Travco which was sealed with it. Removed the vent in about 2000 and it was still soft and sticky. Sailboats are starting to use it because it lasts longer than the drying sealants. There are vastly different qualities of butyl rubber tape. I'll see if I can find the link to the sailboat guy who is selling the high quality stuff.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/butyl_tape&page=1

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
Not terribly exciting, but I picked up a 15 gallon portable dump tank today. I was surprised at how expensive they were ($130 locally), so I put a wanted ad on Craigslist. It took a couple of weeks, but a nice lady called me today and I bought one for $40 with all fittings, in the box. No pic because, uh...it's a dump tank.:)

dependencies

Observer
Can I ask out of interest,
In terms of attaching the camper to vehicle, do you ALL use the same under chassis system where you chain down to essentially an outrigger in each corner,

I ask because European campers seem to rely on fixings within the truck bed & so in turn they rely on the fix between bed/chassis (not great)

Beamer pilot

Explorer
Can I ask out of interest,
In terms of attaching the camper to vehicle, do you ALL use the same under chassis system where you chain down to essentially an outrigger in each corner,

I ask because European campers seem to rely on fixings within the truck bed & so in turn they rely on the fix between bed/chassis (not great)

image.jpg

Works for me. Stable and rigid in the bed while moving. I suppose the 1 ton truck makes a difference!
Previous trucks had the Alaskan tied in the bed.
image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears