The Yamaha Rally Tenere!

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Hi Folks,

In 1996/97 I was lucky to be at the right place at the right time! To be precise: I was at the start of the Rally Paris Dakar in Dakar/Senegal :wings:
I couldn't believe my luck. As part of my cross Africa motorcycle trip I was "hanging around" Dakar for a couple of months and only found out be chance that the start of the rally was just a couple days away.

As the story goes:

One day I was driving my Yamaha Super Tenere through the streets of Dakar. First I thought I'm dreaming..... I got passed by A LOT of VERY loud rally trucks and cars... :Wow1: At a gas station I saw an MAN 8x8 in fully race trim being refilled. Me, quick thinking, turned around and started asking questions :elkgrin:. After a while the driver invited me to come and visited them at there camp for that afternoon at the fanciest hotel in Senegal. I could hardly wait!

Of course I got on my bike right away and started following the rally motorcycles to the hotel. I was in the middle of the pack and therefore had no problem in finding parking in the middle of high security drivers camp. It was actually kind of funny that nobody really came over to check me out and force me of the lot :coffeedrink:

Anyhow, I grabbed my camera and started taking LOTS of slides. Not only was I able to walk freely around, I was also standing next to Stephane Petehansels Rally Yamaha Super Tenere ! It was and still is my absolute dream bike.

Here are the pics:

10-24-2010_3.jpg

10-24-2010_4.jpg

10-24-2010_5.jpg

10-24-2010_7.jpg

10-24-2010_8.jpg

My bike is the one in the middle:
10-24-2010_0.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member