The "yet to be named" tundra build

the dude

Adventurer
yup, it's coming off. Will get fixed this week. Been busy with this new bundle of joy

our first, little Emma.

0502146d.jpg

OOPS.

Seems I am having trouble with photobucket

We had a baby girl 7 weeks ago.

Last edited:

MtbNut

It's been a while but I finally got some more done to the truck

Does anybody have any experience with a rubber boot that can go between the rear window and the topper? The topper has a sliding rear window that I might fully remove if the boot seals well enough. I would be concerned about the contact area on the truck but you must be able to use a 3M product to protect it?

I tried an ARE topper with an opening and boot made to fit the DC Tundra. The boot was a large rubber piece and it came attached to the opening on the topper. Basically, it was a nightmare to keep the boot from moving and leaking air/water. The boot also made the truck smell like a tire factory when the window was open. ARE exchanged the cap with a new one and a standard fold in (for cleaning) and sliding window. I gave up on the idea of a boot for this truck.

I have had success with a blow up "doughnut" style boot between regular sliding windows from the cab to the topper. However, I really don't think something like that will work for such a big opening. Who knows, maybe you will be able to come up with something custom?

Petrolburner

Explorer
It's been a while but I finally got some more done to the truck. The speedo calibration is worth every penny. I can hold OD with the larger tires pulling the boat and the expo trailer. my MPG has gone up 1.5 mpg as well so I am happy.

What brand? Source?

Congrats on the baby girl!

upcountry

Explorer
Thanks for putting this thread together....good info on the Tundra platform. Quick question on build:

Looks like you are running OME coils. Are they 885s or 886s? I see them listed as both in different vsections of the thread. May be going this route and apprecjate any feedback.

Nice truck.

the dude

Adventurer
Sorry, the guy I bought them from originally told me they where 885 but he found the receipt for them and they are indeed the 886. they had settled about an inch on his taco and was the reason for the upgrade.

The speedo calibrator is from Superlift called a Truspeed. Got it off of ebay.

huntsonora

Explorer
Any updates on the truck? How is the Tundra for your little girl? My wife and I are expecting our first in 6 weeks or so

the dude

Adventurer
Not much new to report. We LOVE the truck. It does everything we want to do with it. Hauls the boat, dogs, kid and all our gear. Mileage still sucks IMO.

as for the baby, Congrats. Get ready to never sleep again.

We have a car seat base in the middle seat position in the back (better for side impact) and it is a good lift to get child and car seat in but the tundra is lifted and on 33" tires. I can do it but my wife does struggle with it a bit. The sliders/running boards are a must. The child seat is rearward facing and we have one of those cheezy big mirrors to keep an eye on her while driving. TONS of space, and Jen often sits back there with her.

I wouldn't have anything but a 4 door truck to haul my kid around in, we love it.

oh, and just cuz, our goof ball at 4 months:

f47ebfe6.jpg

huntsonora

Explorer
She is BEAUTIFUL!

A buddy called and offered me his late fathers truck today, a 2006 Tundra DC limited 4x4 with 51,000 miles for 18k, I'm probably gonna jump all over it so I am watching a few build threads here on the expo

AmongGiants

To make the OME coils work on the Bils, did you have to change out the top plate with a Taco/4Runner top plate? I know the OME 886 coils are for a Taco/4Runner and had read somewhere a top plate from one of those models would be required. Something about the smaller ID of the OME coil vs. Tundra OEM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger