Thermoelectric Coolers?

Topgun514

Adventurer
I was looking into fridge units and the price scared me off. I wanted to see if a smaller unit was available and potentially cheaper. 30 Cans of beer worth (About enough for meats, cold cuts, vegs. and a couple beers at a time while camping max of 5 days.)

I soon found thermoelectric coolers and was intrigued by the lower price and somewhat equaled efficiency. Even if it is 100 outside of the cooler it should be around 60 inside of it, which is not terribly bad during the daytime. (and few times do I sit outside at 100+ degrees. I try to camp at higher altitudes and avoid temps like that during the summer, so my max will probably be mid 80's- and a 45 degree beer is GREAT, also in the safe zone for meats for 3 days.

I want to get a deep cycle battery and a solar panel and wire them directly to it only, to avoid draws from inverters or anything. The Coleman 40qt PowerChill looks nice but even there 19 can/ 2 liter option does not seem bad...think about how much ice you use anyways compromising volume in a cooler on a regular trip.

But now after reading reviews, it seems like the battery draw as well as "premature" death is overwhelming. I am looking for some ideas on this before I pull the trigger on one.

Thanks

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Look at the duty cycle on those things. I've compared the thermoelectric vs a true fridge and what I've found is you should either:

get a nice cooler - yeti, engel, etc
OR
buy a real fridge - dometic, arb, engel, edgestar

everything in between isn't worthwhile. Marginal results at best.

-Sam

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
There are two people selling yeti or engel coolers in the classifieds. They are both BIG. Think the price was 200-250 ish.

As for fridges, criagslist and the classifieds forum.

-Sam

PhulesAU

Explorer
TE's will at best keep stuff cool, NOT cold. They also pull a lot of power for cool, compared to cold.

digitaldelay

Explorer
MobilCool W35 DC/AC Cooler

I recently purchased a MobilCool thermoelectric cooler to use on a 6hr. road trip to a motel destination. It kept our snacks COLD as advertised. (70 deg. F ambient, 40 deg. F inside cooler). When we got to the motel I plugged it into AC all weekend.

I'm really happy with it, however I don't know if it would be suitable for an expedition. Reading some reviews, it sounds like if the unit is not plugged in, it does not function very well as a traditional cooler. It does have a battery-protect shut-off, but @ 46W draw, how long would that take?

http://www.mobicool.com/pages/products/outdoor/w35_full.htm

Jason

digitaldelay

Explorer
The cooler rode in the air-conditioned cab, so it had a head-start. I wouldn't have used it under the roll'n'lock on a hot day. :sunny:

Jason

Gaidheal

Observer
I have a Koolatron electric cooler that has been abused off and on for 15+ years. It sits for years in poorly stored conditions then is expected to work around the clock sometimes for a month or more at a time - moving back and forth between the vehicle and hotel rooms (with the 120V adapter).

This month a replaced a fuse in the 120v adapter - only maintenance it's ever had other than the occasional wipe down.

Yes it draws more power than a better unit. No it doesn't regulate the temp. Is it workable and reliable? Absolutely!

Would I take the old Koolatron over an Engle or some sort of 'real' unit?

No. But it's what I have

:beer:

D

DEEZLPWR

best bet is to do a propane fridge or a eveporative phase fridge that runs on deep cycle battery and solar. You do not want to get food poisoning from meats that have been sitting in "cool" temps. Dont skimp out, make the effort to get something that will work as a fridge/freezer not a powered cooler.

This gives me an idea, i could place a nice size propane tank under the truck and have that run the fridge and grill for very long periods of time. YAY for ingenuity!

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
I have four thermoelectric coolers of various sizes.

I also have a real refrigerator.

There is no comparison between the two. Even a small TE can drain a battery overnight. They sorta/kinda got me by in the days before refrigerators, but even then they never replaced an ice type cooler, and I had to get a jump start more than once. I don't think I've used any of them since I bought a fridge.

I figure if I ever use one of them again, it will be just for the beer, and somewhere that I have 110V to plug it into.

-

JohnMcD348

Observer
Current draw on these things is pretty intense for what little cooling effect you get. They're good for trips and such but not for long term cooling/storage where you won't be running a continued recharge.

Invest in a decent cooler or two and you'll be better off. Or save up and get a regular fridge unit.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Just to reiterate what everyone else has said. There is no comparison, and they do draw a LOT of power, constantly. If you are in the Atlanta area, I will give you the one I have... works great (lol...)

I got a Norcold and never looked back.

~ Stump

BobA

Adventurer
Keep away from the new coleman plugin coolers,they are junk. They used to be good but think they are made in china now. I have a koolatron in my semitruck and it has been great. It runs 24/7 for 3 weeks at a time with no problems.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
A friend of mine did a test with a Koolatron, 5 day extreme, and a metal Coleman. All cooler were place in same room a bag of ice each with no power to the Koolatron and the ice lasted the longest in the Koolatron. Yes the Koolatron sucks a lot of power but if you use like a regular cooler and power it while you are moving its a great way to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179