Things in the Tank

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
If you have been following ...

You know that we recently suffered the ignominy of being towed into Overland EXPO East with a dead starter - following multiple engine stalls. Fifty years of doing this and I have NEVER failed to get a truck running. I'm turning in my man card.

IMG_1260.jpgSeveral tows and a new starter later ...

IMG_1263.jpg

Back home, I was able to drop the tank. In this process I was helped by a Bosch fuel injection expert, a tow company owner with years of Euro truck experience, and the owner of the Northern Virginia shop who has worked on our campers for years. We had side bets going as to whether we would find something in the tank, or if the problem had been a mystery air lock of some kind.

Sooooooo. First we peeled off all of the faring to get at the tank.

IMG_0988.jpg

Then, we looked inside. Yup. Lots of fuel!

IMG_0993.jpg

Then, as we pumped the fuel out, we could see that the metal take up for the Webasto Dual Top had scarred the bottom of the tank, and that there was a screw inside, but what is that up at the top of the picture, near the white fuel take up tube?

IMG_0997.jpg

Then, as the fuel level dropped, we could see more clearly. But what could we see? Well, a screw, for a start. And some flakes of something.

IMG_0998.jpg

Whatever it was, it was large and ugly!

IMG_0999.jpg

It appeared to be a piece of paper towel.

IMG_1002.jpg

Not one piece but two!

IMG_1004.jpg

It is not surprising that the truck lost power. It is amazing that it did not simply stop dead. All I can guess is that the toweling remained mostly intact and was not actually sucked up into the tube. but merely blocked it from time to time, before sloshing away long enough the let us keep driving. When the RPMs dropped low enough, the reduced suction must have let fuel flow again, until the starter was finally overheated.

Finally, based on the recommendations of some of our Ozzie Bubbas, I added a small fuel pump and filter with an on/off switch powered from the camper battery. This made re-priming the whole system very easy.

IMG_1005.jpg

The paper towel must have gone in at the same time as the tank was mounted, which is also probably when the screw fell in.

I was hoping to find something real and solid in the tank, and not some form of mystery air lock. But I was expecting perhaps a flake of rust, or similar. Not huge hunks of toweling!

Hopefully, the problem is solved. What next?

Last edited:

Joe917

Explorer
Details are in the owners manual. There is a speed and distance limit for towing to protect the drivetrain, I cannot recall the details but beyond that you need to disconnect the driveshaft or get it on a low boy. How far was the tow?

I now have locking filler caps for all 4 fuel tanks and outside oil fill.
How did the paper towel get in there? At first it looked like a bat;
vector of Marburg, Ebola, rabies, multiple coronaviruses, Hendra, etc etc.

Neil

Observer
Details are in the owners manual. There is a speed and distance limit for towing to protect the drivetrain,

Thanks for the heads up , I genuinely wasn't aware of that . Unfortunately my Owners Manuel is in the truck , many thousands of miles away, so I can't check what's required.

Do you need to disconnect both the forward and the rear shafts or just the ones connected to axles that will turn during the tow.

Do they get disconnected at the Diff end or the transfer box end

Thanks

Neil

Joe917

Explorer
Thanks for the heads up , I genuinely wasn't aware of that . Unfortunately my Owners Manuel is in the truck , many thousands of miles away, so I can't check what's required.

Do you need to disconnect both the forward and the rear shafts or just the ones connected to axles that will turn during the tow.

Do they get disconnected at the Diff end or the transfer box end

Thanks

Neil
You only disconnect the axle that will be rotating. Disconnect at the diff end. It mat be easier to disconnect both ends instead of trying to support a half disconnected shaft.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
The folks in Charlottesville recommended changing the tank for one made of aluminum. Actually, the tank is fine. The cradle is strong and there are solid rubber pads at every contact point. (And we even got them all back in place!)

As you can see from the photos, the interior of the tank is very clean with no rust. Just the paper towel! :mad: All I can guess is that it went in the tank when it was mounted as I certainly never put it in and I am the only one who has ever filled the tank since I bought the truck. Bit of a mystery.

All in all, VERY expensive pieces of paper.

RoamIt

That's the kind of 'no-start' scenario that drives you crazy! Some times it's OK, sometimes its not. Amazing that such a small thing as a paper towel can't bring such a beast to a halt.
Glad you solved the mystery (aside from how the towel got in there in the first place!)

joeblack5

In the day that I was still driving on alternate fuels , and of course problems related to that I found that for me a fuel pressure gauge resolved most of my questions if my engine was going to start and what was going on with lack of power.
As a result I have fuel pressure gauges on most of my vehicles. It takes some guess work out of it. Sorry about the time ,money and frustration you must have experienced.

Johan

joeblack5

I need to add that I also have return fuel line sight glass to check for bubbles, temp and color. I used to use that for determining when to switch back from wvo to diesel.. that way I could actually see the purge..
But now being able to see bubbles and temperature satisfies my curiosity.

Johan

Sitec

Adventurer
In the day that I was still driving on alternate fuels , and of course problems related to that I found that for me a fuel pressure gauge resolved most of my questions if my engine was going to start and what was going on with lack of power.
As a result I have fuel pressure gauges on most of my vehicles. It takes some guess work out of it. Sorry about the time ,money and frustration you must have experienced.

Johan

I'd forgotten all about fuel pressure gauges. They really are a thing of the past, but would have been a very good indicator in this situation.

When we were collecting rocks with the truck before the Overland Truck conversion started, I had a similar scenario where the truck just stopped and I couldn't find the issue. It just refused to bleed. I then decided to back feed the pickup line with air and that got us going. I looked there early on in the hunt for the issue because working around vineyards we get lot's of tractors that are down on power or stop... More often than not it's a vine leaf or 10 in the bottom of the tank (usually caused by someone not owning up to loosing the cap) or by the vines themselves pulling the cap off!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears