Things to check before a long trip in a 2016 Tundra?

ROKDKTR

Geo-Explorer
So aside from the usual oil, air, fluids checks, are there any factory weak spots I should check before a 7500km road trip to Utah with the wife?

Trucks running a solid mid-travel setup so Im sure the shocks and coil overs are fine. Steering components used to be an issue, are they still sub-par? I'll check shafts for sure. Electrics will be checked.

Anything else I have-not read about on the internet?

Hmmm. Unless you have beat the truck to death it's still basically new. I think this question would glean more interest if it were a 70's vintage Land Rover. Go and enjoy your trip and report back.

If this is an actual road trip on pavement you should be ashamed for asking! :)

Delloro

Observer
Tire condition (incl. spare) is all you need to worry about really. Retighten aftermarket suspension fasteners if you have not already. Change the oil before you leave.

karlmagnum

Observer
I agree that your truck is basically new so I think your checklist is good enough. Just don't forget to bring your tools.

ROKDKTR

Geo-Explorer
Hmmm. Unless you have beat the truck to death it's still basically new. I think this question would glean more interest if it were a 70's vintage Land Rover. Go and enjoy your trip and report back.

If this is an actual road trip on pavement you should be ashamed for asking! :)

4000km will be highway getting there and back, the rest is at best gravel, at worst 4wd trails.

My question arose when I started reading about the steering boxes going on some years of Tundras with 30-50k on them, so I'll inspect that. The normal maintenance I keep an eye one. And the truck will likely have 70-80kK on it before we go.

If there aren't any glaring issues in the recent years then we are good to go!

ROKDKTR

Geo-Explorer
2016 Tundra doesn't have a steering box.

Steering rack, sorry. Only been off work for 2 days yet, still not sleeping properly. ;)

It was only really an issue in 2010-2012 from what I read, but there have been failures into 2016 models. That I am not so worried about.

Sounds like the rest should be alright.

I see. I would echo the other suggestions and just bring some tools and monitor fasteners and such from the recent suspension work. My 2014 tundra was so damn reliable it bored me to death, so I sold it. The only issues these trucks had that raised any eyebrows were broken cam shafts. Yeah.... that. But this was back in 07 and I think only about 20 cases surfaced and it was bad supplier issue. I think more than a few other 14's blew up but very isolated. Unfortunately nobody could predict these events as the failures were immediate.
This is all based off internet folk lore and has no scientific basis to quantify. Sounds like a fun trip though! Enjoy

ROKDKTR

Geo-Explorer
I see. I would echo the other suggestions and just bring some tools and monitor fasteners and such from the recent suspension work. My 2014 tundra was so damn reliable it bored me to death, so I sold it. The only issues these trucks had that raised any eyebrows were broken cam shafts. Yeah.... that. But this was back in 07 and I think only about 20 cases surfaced and it was bad supplier issue. I think more than a few other 14's blew up but very isolated. Unfortunately nobody could predict these events as the failures were immediate.
This is all based off internet folk lore and has no scientific basis to quantify. Sounds like a fun trip though! Enjoy

Yeah the newer ones seem good, but I always like to heat the rumours. The front end has about 10k on it now, and the rear should have 6-10k before we leave, and most of it off pavement, as I tend to take the scenic route to work if passable without safety issues. (clients like me to stay on cleared roads and not get lost on the way to the job site in bad weather).

Thanks for the insights, its gonna be a good trip.

Watt maker

The only other more common issue these trucks have is the cam towers sometimes develop leaks and leak oil onto the exhaust manifolds and/or heat shields. It’s not an issue that would leave you stranded but I guess if it were leaking bad enough, it could catch fire but I’m guessing you would see and smell the smoke long before that. I’m sure there’s other little here and there issues but nothing widespread with these trucks. That’s why I finally bought a Tundra. My 2008 and 2014 4runners have been absolutely solid and reliable as well.

My ecoboost f150 had more bells and whistles but it liked to leave me walking far too often.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
We will be heading north on a 8000km trip to the Arctic and back this June, in the Tundra, so I'm running similar questions through my head. I plan on having the truck serviced well before we leave, just to make sure their are no issues. I have not had any problems changing the oil filter myself as of yet, though I've read others that have cracked the plastic filter holder....so I'll either be replacing the plastic filter holder (technical name there) with an aftermarket aluminum one, or bringing a spare along. I'm not sure what coil-overs/shocks you have, but I have had a band clamp break on my remote reservoir, so I'll be bringing a few spare band clamps along. I installed the TRD cold air intake with the cleanable filter, but I'll probably bring a spare air filter along for the ride as well. Knock on wood - I haven't found any issues with my truck at all. I'm stuck with the 26 gallon tank, so I will certainly be bringing extra fuel along for the ride.

ROKDKTR

Geo-Explorer
I'll be adding a tank next year if I can, larger in factory location and lose the under the bed spare. For now I have some 2 gallon rotopax I've been using on various vehicles for years.

My reservoirs are mounted forward, Fox, and rear King, but I always carry zip ties, both metal and plastic, and some clamps, tools, tape etc. Even a roll of haywire just inc are Cletus needs to bandaid something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears