Thinking about a TD swap. Suggestions?

KeepCruzin

Observer
Hey guys,
Im thinking about swapping from my stock straight 6 in my 87 land cruiser to a turbo diesel. Im just looking for a more powerful engine that could give me better power and efficiency on the road and trail.
Iv never done a swap before, if any of you have suggestions, lets hear em!
Im especially interested in what engine might be best.
Thanks guys

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I suggest jumping over to ih8mud.com and looking in the 60-series and diesel forums. There will be more info and build threads than you can read in 5 years. Ask me how I know... ;)

theside00

Adventurer
There are a lot of options that you can do. You can keep it Toyota with the straight 6 diesels, you can go with the GM 6.5, or a cummins. The Toyota diesels are probably the best way to go but are going to be on the expensive side to get and then it is hard to get parts for them. The 1hd-t is the Toyota engine to look at.

If you have any questions or want to talk about the options please feel free to call us at 206-659-8677.

Broncers

My suggestion would be DO It!

Just make sure you know what you are getting yourself into before hand, it can get expensive quick.

What motor are you thinking about putting in there?

freshspecbluegt

Adventurer
Swapping in california can be done just make sure you talk to someone who has done it so you don't end up in trouble with the DMV.

Another option I have been looking at for california trucks is the GM ERod packages. CA Smog legal crate motor packages. It's a gasser but would meet your goals of increased power and economy, might be worth a look.

I drive a California plated 87 FJ60 with a 12HT. I had the swap done almost 5 years ago and have never looked back. The problem is the cost of the engine and that of the swap... 12HT's are going for ludicrous prices these days. I drove an 80 with a 1HDT for a few months and loved it. I think a 1HDT or a 1HZ with a turbo would be good choices. Many swear by an Isuzu 4BD1T, but I have no experience with either... (oh and don't believe the comments that say you will get 25mph or more).

We will be near you (Arcata) in a few months if you want to see our 60?

Last edited:

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I drive a California plated 87 FJ60 with a 12HT. I had the swap done almost 5 years ago and have never looked back. The problem is the cost of the engine and that of the swap... 12HT's are going for ludicrous prices these days. I drove an 80 with a 1HDT for a few months and loved it. I think a 1HDT or a 1HZ with a turbo would be good choices. Many swear by an Isuzu 4BD1T, but I have no experience with either... (oh and don't believe the comments that say you will get 25mph or more).

We will be near you (Arcata) in a few months if you want to see our 60?

If you can share… what's the secret to getting it registered in CA?

To be honest, when I registered I had no idea that there could be an issue... I went to the DMV said I had swapped the engine to a diesel, they came out to check I was not lying and that was it... I know nothing of the law, but I had no problem and the DMV lady didn't think twice about approving my registration.

To be honest, when I registered I had no idea that there could be an issue... I went to the DMV said I had swapped the engine to a diesel, they came out to check I was not lying and that was it... I know nothing of the law, but I had no problem and the DMV lady didn't think twice about approving my registration.

KeepCruzin

Observer
Thanks for the advice. I would love to see your 60 but Arcata is a bit of a trek for me. Feel free to throw up a couple pictures though!
I talked to Gary at MCC and he had some good advice. Im thinking of waiting and possibly getting a crate Cummins 5.0L 8cyl TD. It could be complete overkill, but price wise, some of these used toyota diesels arent going for much less.
Thanks for the help!

KeepCruzin

Observer

My cruiser is registered in Laytonville California (where I work in forestry). Because its smogged there, its a one time, lifetime smog check. We barely got it to pass a few years ago, but as long as I keep the registration payed, there is no reason why I would need to report the swap anyway. The truck will be retired to private property anyway once its completed its service as my DD. Because it is technically registered through my family's company, I dont see the registration ever expiring and thus no DMV employe or SmogCheck tech will have to look under the hood.
But thats just my thinking.....

ChuckB

Expedition Leader

Wow, that's awesome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears