Thinking about an HT..FT60R?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I'm still planning on getting a mobile unit for my 4runner, but since it will be awhile before I can install a mobile unit, antenna, etc (I'm not mechanically inclined and will probably have to seek help), I'm thinking I should pick up an HT to have a radio I can use immediately (or as soon as it's charged up...)

What is the consensus on the Yaesu FT60R? Seems like a lot of features for a dual-band HT. I know there are less expensive dual banders out there but this one seems to have quite a lot of features including a very wide RX capability.

Do most of the other HAMs here have HTs in addition to their mobile units?

SP Jon M3

Observer
I have quite a few friends with the FT-60, they are all pleased with it. I don't think you can go wrong. I personally don't have one so I can't speak directly about it, but I do have a Yaesu HT and it's a really good unit, well built.

I think most do have both an HT and mobile. At least most of the ones I know. I personally like having both. When we are out wheeling and want to get out and check something out, I grab the HT.

Expedition Leader
FWIW, I bought a used Yaesu VX-7R (off of another 4WD forum) for not much more than the price of a new FT-60 and it is a super little radio, but I'm sure the FT-60 would be great too. My only complaint with the FT-60 would be that Yaesu does not make a Lithium-ion battery for it -Lithium ion batteries are amazing; a charge lasts such a long time. Maybe someone makes an aftermarket one for the FT-60. HT's are real handy for service projects and on a wheeling event when you're not in your truck.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
FWIW, I bought a used Yaesu VX-7R (off of another 4WD forum) for not much more than the price of a new FT-60 and it is a super little radio, but I'm sure the FT-60 would be great too. My only complaint with the FT-60 would be that Yaesu does not make a Lithium-ion battery for it -Lithium ion batteries are amazing; a charge lasts such a long time. Maybe someone makes an aftermarket one for the FT-60. HT's are real handy for service projects and on a wheeling event when you're not in your truck.

Not to hijack, but what's the difference between the VX-7R, -5R, and -8R?

rjcj-8

Adventurer
The FT60 is what I got for my first one until I get a mobile put in the JK.
It's a nice little handheld.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter

I think the 8r includes APRS/GPS (Automatic Position Reporting System) and some other bells and whistles.

The VX-3R is interesting - it has RX on AM and FM broadcast bands as well as as Shortwave (HF.) It's only $10 more than the FT60 at HRO. Drawbacks are less power (3w max vs 5 for the FT) and it doesn't appear to have a numeric keypad which I assume (?) is neccessary for CTCSS operation (is that right?)

Also I'm a little skeptical of products that try to do "too much." My thought is that if you try to get one product to do too many things, then it's not going to do any one thing very well.

xtatik

Explorer
Actually, the FT-60's battery life may be the longest in the Yaesu line. It's idle current is amazingly low. And, for the difference in price, an owner can buy both an extra battery and the the alkaline battery tray for multiple power redundancies and still come out with more cash left in their pocket. It has everything you need, and nothing you don't. I own two of them, and nearly everyone I know in the amateur community owns them. They are VERY highly regarded and one of the best values in HT's.

Expedition Leader

Don't forget the VX-3R and VX-6R too! :)

Number of bands, features, and price. They're all about the same size (very tiny - make great pocket radios). For the most part they are subsequent models, each later one improving on the earlier, but Yaesu saw fit to keep making the earlier models because of their popularity and price point.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The FT-60 is a fine choice. I have a VX-7R and honestly even with the lithium battery the life isn't fantastic. The radio is really small, good and bad. I have been eyeing a larger (yes larger) HT. The problem with the tiny do-it-all HTs is that they are horrible for intermod and sound quality. The FT-60 is a nice compromise, although I will probably end up with a FT-250, FT-270 or Icom V80, , which is more or less a ham version of the Vertex Standard commercial radios. For all the ruggedness built into the VX-7R, a proper commercial-grade radio is a whole another level of rugged. I've used Motorola GP300 handies and the Vertex radios aren't quite as good as those, but in comparison the VX-7R looks like a cute toy and sound like, well, poo.

Last edited:

esh

Explorer
Also have a VX-7R and think it's a good little radio.. it even has more features than my 350R (memory groups!!) and the 10R mobile I've been eyeing. A friend picked up an 8R and is having a lot of fun with it and his kids.

I agree with the sound quality on the 7R, though a speaker/mic helps. Bought it used knowing nearly nothing (about amateur radio!) and wanted a weather resistant radio for the wet woods around here.

strider3700

Adventurer
I have an ft-60. The battery life is good, the radio has been abused a lot and everything still works like new. I bought the alkaline tray but have never needed to use it. my only real complaint was the need for the special plug to use regular headphones with it.

4x4mike

Adventurer
I got an FT-60r this past February and I like it a lot. I only use 2m in my area but wanted 440 for other areas where they are used more and the FT60 fit the bill. The radio is a great size (I have regular sized man hands) and the battery lasts a great while. I'm looking to buy another for backup and when I'm working events. I have a Yaseu 2800 in the 4runner so I don't have any experience with using the FT60 in the vehicle.
Like all radios the rubber duckie it comes with just barely gets the job done. I ended up getting a Diamond antenna for it and it's a night and day difference. In the end it's up to your location and what you plan to do with the radio.

In the end: It's small, cheap, easy to program and use and durable.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I too have a HT in addition to a mobile unit in the Scout. Having a HT is great if someone in the group goes on a hike (which I often do) or doesn't have a 2M and would like to listen in to what we are talking about. While not dual band I went with the Yaesu VX-170. I use it on the shoulder harness of my pack when I hunt and I needed a radio that was snow and rain proof. Both of my radios are Yaesu and as far as I am concerned you can't go wrong with the brand.
Darrell

gonejeeping15

Adventurer
FT 60 r

I've had my FT 60 for four years now and would buy it again if I needed an HT, I like the wide range of receive frequencies available that way I can also hear fire, forestry, etc.

Doug

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle