Thinking about jumping in a 4runner

Nathant78

Observer
I am thinking about get a 2nd gen runner. I know about the head gasket issue and changing timing belts. Anything else i should look at?
found a 93 runner with 156k on it, emailed owner and said that head gasket had been done (will verify with dealer once i get the vin)
its a 4wd (of course) auto with a 3.0. stock looking wheels and even factory running boards.

are there any electrical issues to worry about or other mechanical im not thinking of.

purpose of purchase: to get a 4dr for expedition use. i have been a truck person before and found this site and it has changed my life.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Don't think there are any other issues other than the 3.0 V6 being somewhat of an anemic engine for how much gas it guzzles. What's your budget? I've seen some great deals on 3rd gens.

CYi5

Explorer
I'd personally only go with a 5spd if I were getting the 3.0. It's pretty damn slow with the automatic.

tacollie

Glamper
Stay away from the auto. Not many issues outside of the hg. Unless it is really cheap I would look for a 96 or newer. A little more money but a lot more truck imo.

bloc

2nd gen runners have a very stout chassis, save for a couple known issues that can be addressed. The engine is trash though. Even a 3.0 with the HG replaced isn't an engine to be trusted, which isn't exactly what I look for in an expedition vehicle.

On top of that, the automatic will make a slow truck -painfully- slow, all while averaging about 15mpg.

I'd seriously consider a 3rd gen. seriously.

Or.. depending on your resources.. get a 2nd gen and swap in a 3.4L V6 from a 3rd gen. You can get cheap 2nd gens with blown 3.0s for $1000-$1500 very easily (imagine why).. making that a great option financially, again depending on your resources.

fattirerider

After going from a 2nd gen (95) to 3rd (96) I can't beleive how much Toyota improved on it. If I were ever going to get a 2nd gen again I would try to find one with the 22re and 5speed of coarse. The auto 3.0 is a dog any way might aswell get a little better mpgs.

In a 3rd you also get coil overs up front instead of torsion bars wich is nice if you plan on lifting. Other perks such as the optional Elocker and lift style gate instead of the roll down rear window. Better fuel consumtion, more power, it would be hard for me to go back to my 95 even though I did love it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears