Thinking about security

Arctic Travelller

Adventurer
So, I'm underway with on my new (to me) van's maiden voyage, and I've brought all my electronic toys, laptop, wireless modem, GPS, satellite radio, tons of tools, a lot of other stuff. Soon to come will be a couple more radios (CB and Ham) and other electronics. This is the shake down voyage, with this years goal of Baja in November for the race. With all the valuable stuff, and the non stop attention this van gets, I'm more than a little worried about theft. I've looked at alarms, unbreakable window film, different locks, and more, but I thought I would throw this out to the experts. What I'm wondering is what other folks have done to increase security. I'm thinking about some sort of safe, perhaps under the seat or hidden somewhere, perhaps an under floor box (I"ll have to move the spare tire though) and other possibility's. I'd like to really secure the doors from the inside (all except for one I guess) and somehow prevent the smash and grab. So, I'd love to hear some ideas......Arctic Traveller

Kaisen

Explorer
Keeping items out-of-sight is the #1 way to make sure they won't get stolen. Once they see it and decide they want it, there's little that will stop them. Do you have a place for everything and everything in its place?

cem17

I've been thinking about this for a while myself and as nothing will ever be 100%, not attracting attention is not really an option. A multi level approach can go a long way, hopefully. I'm only partially through this list, but when funds allow this is my plan.

1. Good alarm
2. Hidden kill switches
3. Vehicle deadbolt (ie. autobolt), wired to aux function on the alarm
4. security film (more than one layer)
5. interior or exterior bars or screens for the back windows
6. vehicle gun safe (these come in all sorts of sizes)

I also saw a fog machine that fills the vehicle in seconds. Not too sure of the details though.

copescobra

Sportsmobile has a great setup where they put in under floor storage as you mentioned. Most come without a locking mechanism but that can always be changed.
Chris at Ujoint is not offering that as a option and they look great plus not much more than doing yourself when all said an done.

Have also seen great boxes with lock chained to interior somewhere to keep from being taken.

Friends have those dummy cameras in their van with the flashing light that they said has saved them before.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I set up a table near the van and throw an old gun case on it. It gives the impression I may be close enough to reach out and say hello with a high powered scoped hunting rifle. I do the same with the jeep but I just toss it on the hood. Who's gonna mess with that? In town I need a better plan.:coffee:

r_w

Adventurer
Fix the known issues, such as the stupidly easy to break into rear door (mounting a lock in a plastic insert, really???) and weak side lock retainer clips.

Heavy window film is a good idea for lots of reasons.

You can build crossbar locks for the back and side doors easy, and they can be multi-use at the same time (double as table legs for a camp kitchen, for example.)

Keeping things out of sight is most of the battle, smuggler's compartments are a lot more work for a little more gain--it just depends. Once someone see's you access a secret compartment it isn't secret.

southpier

Expedition Leader
I set up a table near the van and throw an old gun case on it. It gives the impression I may be close enough to reach out and say hello with a high powered scoped hunting rifle. I do the same with the jeep but I just toss it on the hood. Who's gonna mess with that? In town I need a better plan.:coffee:

this is a great idea. just picked up a s'no peek folding roller table on sale and now I have the perfect use for it.

Jeffh555

Observer
I think this is a pretty common issue with vans used by contractors and other service people they regularly need to park in sketchy urban areas with lots of big money tools in the back. I think I've felt more threatened in the bad parts of San Francisco and Los Angeles than in 3 month traveling around Mexico and Central America by motorcycle.

You can put window screens, or better yet, doors without windows on the side and rear, that eliminates the windows and points of entrance.
http://www.adriansteel.com/item/cargo-vans/ford_econoline/ford_accessories/ford_window_screens/

Exterior padlocks on all the doors would mean someone would need to cut a lock or sheet metal in order to get in.
http://www.inlad.com/MasterLockandHasp.aspx

The last point of entry is the driver and passenger windows and the windshield. I think the only way you can really make this secure is by putting a steel partition between the "cab" and cargo area, and then not leave anything in the cab.
http://www.adriansteel.com/item/cargo-vans/ford_econoline/ford_partition/

All that said, I still think the best security system is the one between your ears. Avoid sketchy areas, don't be flashy, keep everything out of sight, park in well lit high traffic areas, etc.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
I worked for a shop in Ft Lauderdale back in the 90's that was cutting edge for security. It was the only shop ever to be featured in CA&E solely for a security installation in a 911.
Our custom "safes" we're highly prized by drug smugglers and NFL players hiding whatever from their wives. We'd also install smoke screens, radar jammers (you could dial-in the speed the gun will pick you up at), change your plate at the flip of a switch, spike drop, and rear-facing "zap" lights. True story.
The shop closed in the months after it was raided by the DEA (luckily I had already moved-on). About half the crew lead quiet lives these days, one has passed away, two work as movie special effects guys and the rest I don't know. If they're still in the biz, they've got talent.

Arctic Travelller

Adventurer
Thanks for all the thoughtful reply's, I think there are some good ideas I can use. I don't want to make the van look like an armored truck on the outside with exterior locking devices, so the auto bolt may be my answer for locking the doors.(I'd never heard of them before) Additionally, some window security film will probably help prevent the smash and grab. Keeping everything out of sight is the easiest, least expensive idea and one I need to pay closer attention to. I also plan to install some type of hidden lock box for cash, passports, electronics etc. I'd love some ideas on this, but I no longer have a shop so my ability to cut and weld is pretty limited. Something that bolts in will probably be the best I can do,(under the seat or in a cupboard) so any specific examples would be great. I'd love a locking console, but climbing over the transfer case shifter is hard enough, a console would make it darn near impossible.

Secondly, I had not given much thought to theft of the van it's self, but I think at a minimum, a hidden kill switch is in order. Still I wonder how often these vans get stolen. They are pretty high profile vehicles, but I would imagine places like Baja, and other central American countries would have a bigger risk of theft. So, I'd like to ask if you have ever had your van stolen, or heard of one getting stolen. I also wonder what the best method of installing a kill switch is on a 2001 E250. I'm thinking of a hidden starter or fuel pump switch, or perhaps both. Are there any issues with this? Thanks in advance..........Arctic Traveller

turbolab

Observer
there was a sports mobile stolen a while back and never recovered( try and get the insurance company to give you a decent pay out, you will be in the hole)

Arctic Travelller

Adventurer
If you are going down for the 1000 I would not park it in Ensenada unattended period.
That was what first got me thinking about this issue. While I'd love to check out the scene there, it's probably too big a risk. So, I'd love to hear ideas of where to watch this years race............Arctic Traveller

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78