Thinking about this XJ, what should I look for?

bdbecker

Adventurer
Hello all! I spend most of my time over in the Domestic area talking about Ford trucks, but I'm thinking about "downsizing" to this XJ. Depending the miles and engine (which I just emailed the seller about), it seems like a decent deal from the research I've done in the past. I wanted to know what I should be looking out for, assuming its still for sale and I can go look at it.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/2236697977.html

Specs:
1998 Jeep Cherokee 4x4
5-6 inch lift
32 inch BFG Mud Terrain tires
starts right up, runs great, 4wd works great

3n93m93l65O25Y05W5b2q4af239cea4ee13d0.jpg

3me3o13l05O45Q45P4b2qad13ed83f0341063.jpg

3n43m53pc5Z55T45P5b2qc9529b061ca817a0.jpg

3mb3od3l15Y05T25R6b2q5c4c0fe9ace8138f.jpg

Thanks!

cocco78

Adventurer
Check the front tires for uneven wear. That much lift with stock length radius arms and/or no drop down brackets makes it difficult to get aligned properly, mainly its really hard to get caster back to spec. With big tires on a D30 I would want to check the unit bearings, jack up tire, hands at 12 and 6 and wiggle, if it moves the unit bearing is bad. Wouldn't be a deal breaker in my book, easy to fix not that expensive, but could be a bargaining chip... Other than that maybe check for driveline vibes while driving, again with that much lift your looking at possibly needing a slip yoke eliminator kit and rear CV shaft...

shogun

Adventurer
Thats a lot of lift for 32" tires. There is a threshhold on lifts with these vehicles, around the 3-4" range, where you start needing more mods to keep it straight. Problems multiply, some unfixable (death wobble), some expensive (tires,steering, drop brackets).

I would drive it, fast (>60) to see how stable it is, corner with unload (45-55mph) to see if the front starts to wobble, notice sharp bumps while driving at reasonable speed (LCA), notice noise and vibes between 30-70 (SYE).

Personally I would look for something lower, or lower this one to 3-3.5".

bdbecker

Adventurer
I totally agree Shogun - as I was looking at what parts it would take to make the lift right last night (assuming it was not done correctly) I started to get a little worried about it. If it has all the right parts and was done right, would it still be a good deal?

I found a 2000 XJ that has a 3" BDS lift that is in the same area as the first Jeep I posted, might have to take a road trip this weekend and check both of them out.

wandererr

Adventurer
Thats a lot of lift for 32" tires. There is a threshhold on lifts with these vehicles, around the 3-4" range, where you start needing more mods to keep it straight. Problems multiply, some unfixable (death wobble), some expensive (tires,steering, drop brackets).
huh? I run about 6" give or take (probalby give) with RE adjustable lowers and adjustable uppers and I have no problems.... granted you're right: steering if stock needs work but that can be fixed for $200 to $300 OR you can replace the coils with shorter coils (or take spacer or two out if extras are used) and depending on what is in the rear do what needs to be done there to lower it.
I would drive it, fast (>60) to see how stable it is, corner with unload (45-55mph) to see if the front starts to wobble, notice sharp bumps while driving at reasonable speed (LCA), notice noise and vibes between 30-70 (SYE).
I'd look over the vehicle and take it for this test drive and use anything that you find to drop the price :D :D :D There is no unfixable problem UNLESS there is actuall damage (and even that is fixable though not cost effective). Death wobble that everyone is so afraid of is a combination of balance on the tires, worn suspension and steering components and bad alignment.... oh yeah, you don't have to do lot of special stuff to do alignment on your lifted jeep... you can have a shop do it like they do a normal one (just don't worry about castor) or you can do it yourself in the driveway (I do mine with a tape measure ). My jeep can go on a 1000 mile road trip (done it more then once) and wheel hard and come back.

Things to look for that are IMHO major PITA (as in dirty annoying work) but are fixable are:
- rear main leak

hmmm actually yeah that puts it at just one :D Anyways if the body is straight (check rocker panels and frame rails for damage), the engine and transmission running strong, pretty decent fluid out of transmission and tcase I'd take it if the price was right.

shogun

Adventurer
I totally agree Shogun - as I was looking at what parts it would take to make the lift right last night (assuming it was not done correctly) I started to get a little worried about it. If it has all the right parts and was done right, would it still be a good deal?

I found a 2000 XJ that has a 3" BDS lift that is in the same area as the first Jeep I posted, might have to take a road trip this weekend and check both of them out.

Cant say if its a "good deal". As I said, I would shun anything over 4" due to the increased chance that issues may exist. Not a guarantee that its got problems, but the issues increase non-linearly after 4".

Lifts are highly opinionated; "kits" are designed for price-points, x amount of inches for y amount of dollars. Companies know thats how people will shop them. Many change (sag) over time. Everyone has good/bad stories for various companies. I cant directly comment on them because I went with a shop (national not local) that builds jeep speed because I figured they knew what worked. I am happy with the selection of components they use. For me, saving a few dollars is not the prime concern with suspension/handling.

"Death wobble" is one of the most discussed issues with these. Some claim its a flaw in the balance/tie-rods/stabilizer/alignment/ball joints, take your pick. Bottom line is, if its got it, its not safe. You May fix it by adjusting the tire pressure, or you may throw several hundreds of dollars at it and not find the cause. Search on NAXJA.

Anytime you are considering a used vehicle purchase you should be highly suspect to vehicle mods from stock. Only a test drive will satisfy Some of the questions. Perfect world is the little old lady's bone stock jeep that you build the way you want. The more radical the mods from stock, the more suspicious I am.

Bdiddy11

Adventurer
Keep in mind that the 00 and 01 Cherokee have the notorious head issue...they tend to cracka and go bad sooner than older years.

bdbecker

Adventurer
...Perfect world is the little old lady's bone stock jeep that you build the way you want. The more radical the mods from stock, the more suspicious I am.

That is a very good point. That way, I'll know that any mods were done right and if they weren't, I've only got myself to blame. Luckily I'm not on a time table here, the Ford is getting me by just fine, so I can wait for the right one to come along.

Keep in mind that the 00 and 01 Cherokee have the notorious head issue...they tend to cracka and go bad sooner than older years.

Looks like I've got a lot to learn. Thanks again everyone!

alosix

Expedition Leader
The main problem area I've run into with XJ's is the rear shackle hanger bolts/mount. Take a good look a those, see if they've been cut at all. Pull the rear carpet up to see if they've hole sawed in to get to the welded nut in there.

Most seem ok. I've managed to break 2 off of MD Jeeps on lift disassembly. It happens.. Just need to make sure they didn't butcher the unibody back there getting it fixed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger