Thinking of a Lexus GX 470

Rickbfried

Observer
We take monthly trips down to Baja and our 2000 Mountainer is just to beaten up for the wife to take out on business meeting when she needs a four seater, so we came across this GS470 Lexus at a dealer for $14,000 with 97k on it. Never having owned one of these before, there something special I should be on the lookout for?
Thanks in advance!

jhanley

Observer
Sounds like a great deal. ACH could have issues. When it fails, call OME.

Other than that, they're bulletproof rigs.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Make sure you like the way the rear door opens. Kind of a pain in some situations--can't open it with the garage door closed, for example--but other times it's fine. Probably the only potentially unlikable thing on the truck.

FWIW, the 90K service (includes timing belt and water pump) is expensive so, as mentioned, either verify it was done or factor it into the pricing. BTW, you didn't mention the year, but even for an '04, that seems a decent dealer price if it's not got any issues. With the current drop in fuel costs, LX and GX models up here have been "fully valued."

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
What year is it? Early ones especially, but I think all years, have issues with cracked dashboards. I actually just got something in the mail saying they are extending the warranty to 10 years. However, it seems most of the issues were in the 2003-2005 range. The airbag suspension and electronic shocks are the only major problem areas. Those can easily be converted to traditional coils and shocks.

I'm content with mine. I got it because I was having a hard time finding a good 100 series. In hindsight, I wish I would have looked a bit harder for a decent 100 series. But if you don't need the room of a 100 series, you can get a newer/lower mile GX for cheaper. Same drivetrain in both, although I think the 100 series is the better vehicle.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Its probably a touch smaller than the old Exporer / Mountineer they drive different than the Exploder. I like it but not a fan of the narrow top heavy feel of them even when empty. The 4runner with V8 is very similar machine except you have a wider range of aftermarket fluff you can get for it. I like the way the 4runner drives better than the GX470. The up side is most Lexus folks who put down the money for the Lexus SUV have the money to maintain them but you will find lots of them dumped before the TB belt service which is around $1200 value at the dealer.

JLee

Adventurer
Its probably a touch smaller than the old Exporer / Mountineer they drive different than the Exploder. I like it but not a fan of the narrow top heavy feel of them even when empty. The 4runner with V8 is very similar machine except you have a wider range of aftermarket fluff you can get for it. I like the way the 4runner drives better than the GX470. The up side is most Lexus folks who put down the money for the Lexus SUV have the money to maintain them but you will find lots of them dumped before the TB belt service which is around $1200 value at the dealer.

Mine doesn't feel top heavy at all. I did hold out for one with KDSS, though - damn thing corners like a sports sedan. I have a highly modded MR2 Turbo and sold an '04 CTS-V last year and I was impressed at how it handles for a 4600lb SUV. I paid $18,400 for my '07 w/Sport package and 103k. Absolutely no regrets.

J-Fonz

Mine doesn't feel top heavy at all. I did hold out for one with KDSS, though - damn thing corners like a sports sedan. I have a highly modded MR2 Turbo and sold an '04 CTS-V last year and I was impressed at how it handles for a 4600lb SUV. I paid $18,400 for my '07 w/Sport package and 103k. Absolutely no regrets.
My experience as well. OME suspension tightened her up nicely.

kilohotel

If one wanted to build a relatively capable, "overland-looking" and reliable GX470 on a "budget", what would be the best variant to get? KDSS or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
You might have better luck with some of the GX specific questions in the Toyota-FJ-Hilux-Tacoma-4Runner forum since that is the dedicated forum for this particular chassis.

I'm actually interested in one as a garage-mate to my 100.

Last edited:

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
We've had out '08 GX since last July. I absolutely love it. Mine has KDSS, like mentioned before it handles on road AMAZING for what it is.

Off the top of my head these are the common issues with the GX. Don't let it scare you, no vehicle is perfect, they all have their own common problems. Like I said, I love my GX. I just wish it was mine and not my wife's LOL.

I don't have issues with the rear airbag suspension but it can be problematic. Bags leak, faulty height indicators. If you plan to wheel it, chances are you'll change the bags out for coils anyway. My plan is to go with Icon suspension all the way around.

Leaky radiators are common around 60k miles. I bought mine with a leak around the drivers side bottom corner where the tank meets the core (common spot). Dealer warrantied mine.

Love my KDSS but keep in mind sliders would have to be custom made due to the location of the KDSS hydraulics.

Brake calipers are known to stick if you don't keep up with brake fluid changes- which I believe is part of the 90k mile service (timing belt, water pump)

Cracked dash - I think the early years are now eligible for dealer repair.

Some people don't care for the navigation system because it's dated and it controls the radio/air conditioner which makes installing aftermarket stereos difficult.

It was a tough decision for us between the 100 and the GX. We looked at both for a while but the condition this GX was in made it really hard to say no.

JLee

Adventurer
If one wanted to build a relatively capable, "overland-looking" and reliable GX470 on a "budget", what would be the best variant to get? KDSS or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KDSS doesn't really add anything to the price because nobody knows what it is. It disconnects the swaybars for you during offroad articulation and makes handling on-road astonishingly good. I believe you gain 4" articulation with a KDSS-equipped trucks. It's one of those rare options that does in fact give you the best of both worlds - I would highly recommend it.

offero

Desert rat
I've got an '08 and really, really like it. I do kind-of wish I'd looked hard for one with KDSS, but that seems pretty rare, especially later in the model years, and I wanted tan interior, which narrowed down my options even more. At some point (2005 or 2007?), they added VVT to the V8 and moved to a 5-speed transmission, both of which were important to me when deciding on model year.

I've had the truck for five months now and it's great on the road around town or hauling to the trailhead and it's really a joy offroad. I actually like the idea of the airbags in the rear, as they level off the back when I load all my camp gear in it. (My Grand Cherokee sagged pretty badly with all the camp gear and ended up hitting the bump stops a lot). I also thought the shock dampening adjustment was a gimmick, but I do find myself turning the knob now and again due to San Diego's poor roads. Coming from a Jeep with traditional 4-Low and a rear locker, I was skeptical of ATRAC, but the system works and has gotten me up and over rough-ish terrain without a hitch.

Aftermarket support isn't like other vehicles. The important bits are around, however. Skids can be had... just find ones made for the 4th-Gen 4Runner with a V8. I have Bud Built on mine though the gas tank and transfer case skid don't quite line up. Rock sliders are available too, though as noted, models with KDSS will be more of a custom job. Suspension options abound for the front, due to commonality with other Prado 120 trucks. The rears can be converted to coilovers (a couple shops make kits to do so) or the airbags can be tricked. I'd shy away from the airbag trick though. Front Runner makes a nice slim roof rack, as does someone else, which looks nearly identical except the tee-slot slats run parallel with the care rather than Front Runner's perpendicular ones.

Be prepared for some weird looks and comments from some Jeepers and full-size truck drivers out and about though! If only they knew what a Land Cruiser Prado was!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998