thinking of adding a cap to 2nd gen DCSB

toyrunner95

Explorer
Look at my build thread. I have a snug top rebel. It works fantastic!. i got the win doors and the tilt down front window. Ive never had a problem with any of it. Plus they are a lifetime warranty on factory defects.

Doc_

Sammich!
Look at my build thread. I have a snug top rebel. It works fantastic!. i got the win doors and the tilt down front window. Ive never had a problem with any of it. Plus they are a lifetime warranty on factory defects.

I vote for a SnugTop too. They're a high quality product.

Has anyone added a rack or bars after the fact to their shell? I have an ARE and am considering mounting my tent up top, instead of removing the tent and running the tent with bed bars.

yonah

Calling-in from west of the Rockies
I'm having a hard time deciding between ARE and Leer. What do you guys think?

I like my Leer 180 a lot. It has a raised roof which Leer claims to increase interior storage capacity by 20%. This will be a big plus when I decide to build a drawer system. It also sits flush with the height of my Bajarack Utility Rack, so it flows well aesthetically and gives me a flat surface to strap my kayak down on when my RTT isn't mounted. My shell also has the reinforced mesh windows for dogs - which is a cool option as my pitbull likes to push his nose against the bug screen.
-
I would echo what was said above regarding a similar build quality of Leer and ARE shells. I like Snugtop, they make some cool products, but I haven't seen one in person. They seem to be more rare on the East Coast.

WillRunner

Overlander
I like my Leer 180 a lot. It has a raised roof which Leer claims to increase interior storage capacity by 20%. This will be a big plus when I decide to build a drawer system. It also sits flush with the height of my Bajarack Utility Rack, so it flows well aesthetically and gives me a flat surface to strap my kayak down on when my RTT isn't mounted. My shell also has the reinforced mesh windows for dogs - which is a cool option as my pitbull likes to push his nose against the bug screen.
-
I would echo what was said above regarding a similar build quality of Leer and ARE shells. I like Snugtop, they make some cool products, but I haven't seen one in person. They seem to be more rare on the East Coast.

That sounds great! I decided to go with the Leer, I placed it on order last week!

Adventurous

Explorer
Oh really? What makes you prefer the handle/locking mechanism on the ARE more?

Oops, just realized I never answered this. The LEER systems has cables that disengage feet from the mechanism at the sides. There is a bit of slop in the system and sometimes the two don't disengage at the same time. ARE (at least the one I had) has bars that span the entirety of the window and slide into slots in the frame. It was a bit smoother and easy to operate. Not a deal breaker however.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78