Thinking of buying a Toyota...

Revco

Adventurer
For a long time I wanted a little regular cab mid 90's Toyota pickup with a 4cyl and 5spd. Just a little commuter truck that could get the job done. They are pretty hard to find in good shape, and I see an abundance of 4x4's on the market, so I'm considering them as well. My current rig is a K2500 Suburban...and after owning this thing, I don't want another SUV, I need a truck. We already have a nice Durango (2wd), and I need a truck bed more than passenger seating (no kids).

I'm looking for decent trucks in the $3500-5000 range. Something that would make a comfortable daily driver, but capable of toting around some engine blocks or pulling a small trailer, and can tackle some trails and offroad duty with little investment in offroad parts. Ideally, I'd like to have an regular or extended cab 4cyl 5spd 4x4. I've heard lots of negatives about the V6's, so I'm not even considering them. I'd like to buy a truck and sell the Suburban sometime before the end of the year. It'd be nice to have something that got better than very low teens for mpg.

Is there a certain year model in the old Hilux body or the 1st gen Tacomas that is the preferred year?

Anything I should look for when checking one out in person? Rust prone areas? Common issues? Etc?

Thanks.

Last edited:

enzo

Explorer
For that kind of money you won't be getting a Tacoma. You could probably buy an early 90's model in that price range. Welcome to Toyota. :)

Blitzburgh99

For that kind of money you won't be getting a Tacoma. You could probably buy an early 90's model in that price range. Welcome to Toyota. :)

Agreed. The first gen Tacomas are selling at a premium right now. For one with lower miles in good condition, you should expect to send at least $7,000-$8,000, sometimes more. Also, beware of northern copies because there is a Toyota Service Bulletin related to frame rust issues.

happy hunting!

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
I think you could get into a Tacoma for the higher end of your price range, especially the configuration you're seeking.

In a lot of ways, I prefer the pre-Tacoma "Truck" myself. I prefer the styling and I believe they were constructed on a heavier-duty platform.

The engines in the Truck are not as powerful as the Tacoma engines, but they certainly get the job done. The 3-VZE V-6 of the 1988-1995 Truck gets a bad reputation for blowing head gaskets and not producing that much power for its extra weight and fuel consumption, but as far as engines go, they're not that bad, especially if the head gaskets have been replaced. A lot of people are very happy with them. The 4-cylinder 22-RE of that era is very reliable and satisfying. It doesn't have much output by today's standards, but if you're not in a hurry, it gets the job done and is a hard-worker. I drive a 22-RE loaded down with a pop-up truck camper and it still gets 20 mpg. I've towed with it as well.

The Tacoma does have more powerful engines (The 2.7 is a great choice, with a timing chain (The V-6's have belts), 16-valves, and quite a bit more output than the 22-RE) but an arguably lighter-duty chassis. The 3.4 V-6 in the Tacoma and T-100 is reliable and powerful with nice low-end torque. People have more suspension and frame complaints with Tacomas than with the earlier Truck though.

It's true--they can be difficult to find, but be patient and something interesting will likely show up.

Good luck,

Eric

Last edited:

Revco

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies guys. Seems most of the trucks I've been finding in my price range are 6cyl, automatics, or have 250k miles. I'll do some more homework on them, but I think I'd really be happy with a pre-Tacoma 4x4 5spd 22RE regular or X-cab and I'm confident I can find a decent truck that fits the bill.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Too many people sell the pre-Tacoma trucks short. I've owned two, a 1985 solid axle 4x4 and my current 1994 extra-cab 4x4. The '85 had the 22R and the '94 has the 22RE. People say these motors aren't that strong, but I disagree. My '85 would tow a heavy trailer down the highway with a loaded truck bed with no real problems. It wasn't fast, but it didn't struggle to cruise at 65+ either and it still returned 20mpg. The '94 is a little more plush and the extra-cab is nice for extra passengers (that are small) or dogs or gear you don't want to get wet.

I wouldn't mind having a more powerful motor and the OBD electronics, but my 22RE does pretty good for what I need. I run 33" tires and stock gears, for the moment, and I can still cruise at 70mph on the highway no problem, hills are another story though, sloooow.

The older trucks have a lot of aftermarket support, cheap and easy to repair, easy to find parts for, will run forever if taken care of. If I were you I would look at the pre-Tacoma trucks from 1986-1995 with the 22RE motor. Those should your needs very well and should definitely be available in your price range.

Good luck.

Clutch

<---Pass
Too many people sell the pre-Tacoma trucks short.

They aren't bad, actually great little trucks. I have had two 22RE Toys, a '85 4Runner, and a '92 truck....both were excellent vehicles to a point. A wee bit under powered for my taste, (well make that way too underpowered) that and I like coil over suspension rather than leafs or torsion bars. So I upgraded to a 1st gen. Tacoma. Love the size of it, still a little underpowered for my taste, and doesn't get good of enough fuel economy for what it is. But I guess we can't have everything.

I am a little shocked how well the Tacomas hold their value, I know what I "think" mine is worth...which is waaay less than what they are selling for. Every
once in a while I get a bug up my butt to sell it, but I know I can't replace it easily if I get sellers remorse...

enzo

Explorer
They aren't bad, actually great little trucks. I have had two 22RE Toys, a '85 4Runner, and a '92 truck....both were excellent vehicles to a point. A wee bit under powered for my taste, (well make that way too underpowered) that and I like coil over suspension rather than leafs or torsion bars. So I upgraded to a 1st gen. Tacoma. Love the size of it, still a little underpowered for my taste, and doesn't get good of enough fuel economy for what it is. But I guess we can't have everything.

I am a little shocked how well the Tacomas hold their value, I know what I "think" mine is worth...which is waaay less than what they are selling for. Every
once in a while I get a bug up my butt to sell it, but I know I can't replace it easily if I get sellers remorse...

It is amazing how well these trucks hold their value. I'm on my 3rd Tacoma right now. I tell people at work that Toyotas from the early 90's are still bringing $6k and they shake their heads in disbelief. I just traded my 2009 in for a 2012 and got more in trade in then what my coworker paid for his brand new Colorado. lol

Clutch

<---Pass
It is amazing how well these trucks hold their value. I'm on my 3rd Tacoma right now. I tell people at work that Toyotas from the early 90's are still bringing $6k and they shake their heads in disbelief. I just traded my 2009 in for a 2012 and got more in trade in then what my coworker paid for his brand new Colorado. lol

Yeah, it really blows my mind. One of the reasons why I don't want to sell it, the other is my girlfriend told me I am not allowed. :ylsmoke: She loves that thing, even though I get a little bored with it. Think I have owned it for 10-11 years now.

If money was no object, I would get a 2nd generation Taco, and toss in the 5.7 Tundra motor...

JasonRedwood

Explorer
Just my experience.
I had a 1987 reg cab 22r 4x4, 1991 longbed reg cab 4x4 v6, 1992 reg cab 4x4 22re, and now I have 1989 4runner v6 4x4. I know the V6's are talked down on but I have had nothing but positive experiences with them. The 91 V6 blew a head gasket at 265K, not a bad life span. My current 4runner with the v6 has been great so far. You cant really get any more power out of the v6 with after market parts. FWIW I recently test drove a few stock 22r and 22re yotas and was disappointed with the comparable power to the the stock V6 I have. That being said the the 22r's and 22re's have tons of great after market parts and when combined with the right gear ratios and all can be amazing multi-taskers. Never had an extended cab but always wanted one and I would stay away from the automatics due to lack of mpg and lack of power. Good luck

Last edited:

Expedition Leader
The 22R/RE is one of the best motors Toyota ever built IMO. Simple, reliable, easy to rebuild, easy to hot-rod, gets good fuel economy, and revs high when you need horsepower.

Revco

Adventurer
I figure a 22RE would get the job done. If it takes a dirt nap or a I decide I need more power, something like a 1UZ-FE V8 would go in it's place so I could yeild nearly 3 times the power, yet still manage to get mpg in the 20's.

I appreciate the replies.

StarGazer

Observer
2001 Toyota 4Runner

Where are you located? I have a 2001 Toyota 4Runner with 176K in almost excellent condition.

Attachments

• IMG_20120807_154859.jpg
    IMG_20120807_154859.jpg
    589.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Toyo4.JPG
    Toyo4.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 3

twonot1

I have both a '94 regular cab 4x4 and an '85 extended cab. I highly recommend the extended cab. It's so much more versatile and comfortable. I'm a big guy (6'-2", 285 lbs) and have never felt claustrophobic in the regular cab, but I've always wished I could recline some or put more things behind the seat. Well, in the '85, I can. My 2 cents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998