Thinking of getting a Titan. Discuss please.

Allof75

Pathfinder
I don't own one, but I know before buying our Dodge we looked at the Titan. It rode smooth, had good power, large towing capacity. It's an overall very versatile truck IMO if you're looking for something a little "different." The only reason they get thrashed in current tests is because they're the same as they were in 2004. Our 03 ram would get killed just the same, even though it won comparison tests at the time. Trucks have progressed and that's that. Now for a used vehicle, the Titan is great, just not brand new that's all.

Seems like a lot of people have had good experiences with them and I think the 5.6 V8 on all models, locking rear diffs, and those storage cubbies are really neat options. :)

zkeys

zkeys is that a nismo exhaust I spy?

It is. Great sounding, beautiful exhaust. However, both mufflers rusted out in 15 months after purchase. I was not happy after dropping the money on that one.

It now has a Magnaflow that is dumped before the rear axle.

Thanks,

Zack

Last edited:

p-range

I recently purchased a 2005 nissan titan crewcab 4x4 with 83,000 miles. To be honest I love the truck, it rides smooth and has pelnty of power with crazy amount of room in the cab. I avg 15 mpg mixed driving.

Be sure to check out the front ifs system as a whole as well as the rear axle, i wish i had knew this before hand. When i went and test drove the truck it seemed to have a little of a clanking noise when i drove but noticed the center caps in the aftermarket wheels did not fit snug, so they rolled around a bit. I shook on front cv shafts with no play. Everything seemed in working order. i drove it home which was about 3 hours. Needless to say i got it home and did my leak check, pulled on the cv shafts again and the drivers side moved like a joy stick inside the diff. But hey no leaks.

Pulled the front diff fill plug and looked like a silver spray paint can blew up in it and had heavy metal shavings on the plug. It blew my mind so i decided to back the truck up and see if the cv shaft moved like that again. Solid as a rock. Drained the oil from the diff and not only oil came out. Gear teeth came out. At the end of the day it was cheaper to replace the front diff than just rebuilding it. 07 and up had stronger diff's so i went with an 09.

just my experiance.

my father has a 2005 titan 4x4 extended cab. and he loves it, he has 298,000 miles on it. and has almost 0 parts failures, two sets of CAT's, and wheel bearings have been the only thing that has gone on it. knock on wood. he is thinking about waiting for the diesel titan and looking one of those.

gshock40

Ace Of None
My Wife and I have had 2 Titans, A '10 and now a '12 pro4x, liked both of the trucks and the Locker in the 12 is awesome...only complaint is the speed in 4lo is Way TO High, Had to pull over and let the brakes cool a few times on trails with long grades. Otherwise both were excellent trucks and only had normal maintenance:smiley_drive:

srileo

Glad to hear the Titan love. I have always admired the Frontiers (way more than Tacos for looks), and hte value they provide. And have also seen how ubiquitous the Navara is around the world. I wanted to get a frontier to put a popup camper on it, but am now thinking a Titan king cab might be the way to go - wider and stronger. However, the Titan forums are replete with some of the issues you guys pointed out - cracked manifolds, axle leaks, and such, but almost all of them seem to be from before the 2008 models. Am currently eyeing an '08 Pro4X king cab. Will see if i can get the courage to do so. Gotta love the firesale prices on the Titans :)

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx
I would go with a '10. '08 and prior had issues fixed by '08, however, beginning in '10, Nissan was trying hard to move trucks so '10 had options that were gone by '11. There were no pure '09 , they were just renumbered '08s. '10 SE Crew Cab, 4X4 pkg with Big Tow pkg is what I'm looking for now. At the very least buy an '08 or newer. '04-07 had some expensive issues. Ask me how I know.

michaelse

I have test driven a few Titans, and will probably end up buying one sometime soon (currently debating between an 04-present Titan or an 01-06 Suburban as a weekend warrior). One recurring issue is the front diff, as mentioned in this thread. I can't remember the exact problem, but I have heard two owners whose trucks I looked at mention something along the lines of "it had some trouble with the front diff, I had to get it fixed/replaced."

As far as private sale prices, you can't do much better for a <decade old 4x4 crewcab with a v8. I've seen CC Titans with <150k miles going for around 10-11k. Dealerships, at least the ones around where I live, still feel the need to ask book or even above book for Titans, probably because it's technically still a current model.

The v8 seems reliable enough, puts out a decent amount of power, and there's plenty of room in the cab. A good truck, just a little dated.

DesertFront

CONFUSED!
My son owns his second Titan. He loves them and swears by them. Tows his travel trailer with his. I think it's too big myself and prefer the smaller, more maneuverable Frontier.

srileo

And, based on popular advise here and elsewhere, i just bought a 2008 Titan Pro4X with 79,000 miles on it for $17k at a dealer. Had to replace battery as advised by the mechanic that inspected it, but other than fluid changes needed, it should be good to go. I'll find out and report.

Looking forward to putting a camper on her shortly.

2 E L O

Adventurer
I bought an '08 King Cab 4x4 SE with 76k miles for $15,900 in February and have put about 7k miles on it. The previous owner beat the hell out of it so it had some minor cosmetic issues and some severely worn suspension parts.

Another common issue with the Titans is the front lower control arm bushings failing. Not a major problem in itself, but its also common for the cam bolts to be seized so its impossible to adjust camber or replace the bushings. Everything has to be cut apart and the entire LCA assembly and hardware has to be replaced. There are a few threads about this on TitanTalk.

I had to do this LCA work to mine, but thankfully it was all covered under the extended warranty that I purchased with the truck.

Also...

1) The struts and shocks were also completely shot when I bought the truck. I bought an OEM set off TitanTalk with 2k miles for $75, though.

2) I had the exhaust manifolds and cats replaced under the factory warranty. I also still have a small leak at the rear B-pipe flange.

3) The driver's seat belt retractor was shot and replaced under the factory warranty.

4) A TPMS sensor was replaced under the extended warranty.

5) The front pinion seal was replaced under the extended warranty.

A couple other gripes with my Titan, mainly due to the previous owner being a jackwad...

1) No factory cabin air filter installed and the PO must have lived on a dirt road. AC evaporator and ducts filled with dirt and crap...kinda stinky. I need to clean it out real bad.

2) King cab has some rattles/squeaks/wind noise...Crew cab is probably significantly better in this regard.

3) I don't have the Utilitrack system so there aren't any tie downs or loops in the bed except for the stake pockets.

Now, all that being said....I friggin' love the truck! My previous vehicles were '88 Ranger, '00 Ranger, '07 Tahoe, and a '96 LX450 (Land Cruiser). I really liked the other vehicles, but I was never completely content with them... I don't feel this way with the Titan. It's definitely not perfect, but I'm totally happy with it on all levels...

Even though its the same design since '04, it still looks just as modern as most other half ton trucks. The power is fantastic. The interior is practical and for the most part solid. Unlike my past vehicles, I'm going to hold onto this Titan for a very long time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

Mako1114

Adventurer
I've posted this in two other areas so hopefully I don't wear out my welcome this time, however I thought you guys might dig it. The following pics are of my 2011 Nissan Titan Pro-4x which I bought new in April of 2011 to haul my 5,500lb boat (dry weight). Most recently I have added a Ruenel rear bumper, Rocky Road sliders and an ARB bull bar. It is currently sporting a PRG mini-lift, however I just ordered the PRG extended travel kit which includes PRG UCAs, SAW coil overs and Bilstein 5125 rear shocks. Tires are 295-70-R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers which are approximately 34" in diameter; I also just picked up a lightly used set of hyper silver (charcoal) Pro-4x rims on ebay and will install them shortly. Future mods include a Warn VR12000 winch, assuming it fits the ARB, and also a set of Warn HID 400 lights. Mine only has 27K miles but so far has been a great truck; I would recommend one for someone who is in the market for a 1/2 ton.

Cheers

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78