Thinking of removing the water tank from my pop up...

billy2

So I have have camped a season in my pop up and I have never used my water tank. I usually use a 5 gallon water bottle when ever I camp and I think the house tank is wasted space. I would much rather have the extra storage. Are there any cons to this? As long as I keep the components it shouldn't hurt resale...My camper only has a sink. No shower or toilet.

What do you all think? It kills 3/4 of the space under the forward step to get into the bed.

attachment.php

NikonRon

Adventurer
That's precisely why I ordered a shell model. Didn't want all the things that I don't need just taking up space and the extra weight. Ron

1stDeuce

Explorer
If you don't use it, yank it. :)

On the flip side, my camper only has a 20 gallon tank, and occasionally I wish it was a 30... :) Perhaps you just need to try using it. I like the convenience of filling it before we leave, and knowing that I don't have to deal with water. We can use sink to do dishes, get a drink in the middle of the night, and fill dog dishes outside, all without having to ever lug a 5 gallon water jug. :)

BTW, if your camper has a hot water heater, yank that sucka first!!

BGuerin

I'm confused, why would you take a 5 gallon water container if you have a built in 20 gallon water tank? I use the 20 gallon tank in my FWC for everytihing, just keep it a clean source, I like being able to use water from my home source, as long as possible!

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
I have a Northern Lite with what I think is a 20 gallon tank. I have a love hate relationship with it. I love the fact that filling it once a month is enough for several days of camping during the month. I love the fact that I have lots of cold and hot water (turning on the tap on a cold morning and splashing hot water on your face is GREAT!!!) I hate the fact that in the shoulder season and winter I NEVER use it as I do not want to have it freeze or to winterize it all the time! I hate when I have a leak with it.

I have thought of using the 5 gallon plastic Jerry cans and hooking these up to the pump so I can grab one and go or fill up two or three and hit the road. I can see advantages and disadvantages both ways. Easier to fill at some places, easy to grab in the winter and pull out when I am back. Less work to winterize. More to do when on the road to switch the intake to different tanks.

Guess I never helped you one way or another, sorry :-(

BGuerin

Photomike has a good point, if I did cold weather camping, I'd not use my fixed 20 gallon system, so it probably depends on your circumstances!

billy2

We winter camp and not always at spots with utilities. Filling the fresh water tank also requires a hose, or at least a hose end a funnel and and gravity. I can fill a 5 gallon jug any where...

Think im going for it guys. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
I just removed mine. I have the same floorplan and it opened up a lot of storage space and enabled me to relocate the battery to the foward-and-low position for better handling. I built a simple corner-stand to set on top of the counter to hold the water jug over the sink--it works great, just like a faucet.

I feel much more comfortable using portable containers that are easier to keep clean and can be refilled on foot. Seeing the state of the water lines and the amount of solids inside the tank upon removal helped confirm the decision for me.

NorCalBronco

Observer
I removed mine from my FWC for about a year. I found myself using less water overall and had some extra space but ended up missing it and felt like shuffling around water containers was far more annoying then gaining some cargo space.

I mainly camp on the California coast so I never dealt with freezing conditions.

I'm in the process of remodeling my camper right now and picked up a brand new 20 gallon tank and a water heater for this go around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billy2

Yanked that sucker today! Got my big buddy heater, extra 1lbs propane bottles and a case of Mres under there. Happy boy for now and i left all the plumbing and water pump so if I change my mind its a 5 min job to reinstall!

craig333

Expedition Leader
I love mine, nothing like a nice hot shower but if aren't using it theres not much reason not to yank it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78