Thinking of switching over to an 80 series, please help!

baca327

Adventurer
Here is my current situation, I currently own a 99XJ AW4/4.0 and a family of five. I am at the point prior to no return with the XJ and if I decide to stick with it I will be dropping a large sum of coin on the jeep and a trailer. Here is my dilemma I know the vehicle and its drive train as being an auto technician and attending a Chrysler auto program back many a years ago. Also I spent quite a few years working for a Toyota dealer wrenching at American in Albuquerque. So I understand both vehicles, and have experience working on both. I understand the XJ is a unibody hampering the payload capacity and I will address this issue if I keep it, but on the other hand the lighter weight produces better fuel economy if I leave the trailer. The abundance of 4.0L on the road in the US, and being realistic I'm not leaving the country anytime soon make parts availability for the jeep highly available. I really want to sell the jeep and pick up a 80 for the cargo capacity and the third row. I have taken many trips in the XJ and I will admit it is was very tight with only four of us, but now we are up to five and I fear that the confined conditions will make the trips not as enjoyable for the little ones as if we had more room. So to get to the point I'm looking for real world experience on the 80 from fuel economy to your experiences as far as parts availability in small towns. Ive been on the fence about this for a long time but haven't really discussed this with a actual owner that takes their vehicles the places I take mine. Also not looking for just vague "the LC is much better than the XJ, or Toyota is better than Chrylser products" if that's how you feel please feel free to share why.

Also I will stick with a OME/33's roof rack and armor front and rear. In addition I do know the build quality is superior on the 80.

Cimarron13

I gave up on Jeeps when I got my 80. I've had a XJ, KJ and two TJ Rubicons. I still have my Liberty CRD but it doesn't get used when I need to load up with girlfriend and her two boys. I can fit everything behind the second row seats that usually takes up the whole back in the liberty with the seats folded down. We have even put 5 kids in the 80, with third row seats in, with 2 BMX bikes and a couple skateboards in the back and everyone is comfortable. No question space wins in the 80.
Fuel economy sucks bad in the 80. I get on average 11 MPG with 4" lift on 33" MTR's. I still find myself driving it more than the Liberty that gets 22 MPG which is on 31" MTRs and 2.5" lift. I should sell the Liberty but since its a diesel I use it to pull my small trailer with the KAW Mule on it. Plus I have put to much work in it to part with it right now.
I haven't had any issues with parts so far. Usually Toyota has stuff in stock and what they don't I have found at Autozone. Such things like wheel studs and wheel bearings. Parts are a little more expensive for the 80.

Klierslc

Explorer
I don't think you will regret it. If you can find a well maintained 80, you shouldn't need to buy parts that often and when you do, most places have them or can overnight them from another store. I have 5 kids and they love the 80--I would add a DVD player or DVD headrests though. I spent a lot of time in the middle of the back seat as a kid--number 3 of 3 and you are right, long trips will wreak havoc on all of you.

The 80 is not as nimble as the XJ and has a huge rear hangover--just get used to banging it on everything. Fuel economy loaded, armored with no rack is 13mpg at 75, 16 mpg at 60.

haven

Expedition Leader
Why not get a 100 Series Land Cruiser? A family of five will fill up an 80 Series quickly. The 100 has more room, and is as fuel efficient as the 80. Prices for the 100 are pretty reasonable now, too.

reece146

Automotive Artist
Why not get a 100 Series Land Cruiser? A family of five will fill up an 80 Series quickly. The 100 has more room, and is as fuel efficient as the 80. Prices for the 100 are pretty reasonable now, too.

^^^ This.

I have a seriously overbuilt XJ and am now thinking about switching to a 100 series. They are great trucks and with 33s or 35s they will go pretty much anywhere I care to drive a full body rig.

What's put me off the XJ is the low quality of the interior and the lack of towing capacity. It'll go anywhere you care to point it but at this stage of life that capability is less interesting to me than having a comfortable rig to haul *** between destinations.

cruisertom

You are kinda comparing a Pinto to a Cadillac. If you want more room you need a bigger vehicle, hence worse mileage. You can get around the mileage issue by swapping in a Cummins 4cyl diesel. Yes initially more expensive but then you have the best of both worlds, and probably better mileage than the XJ. Check out Profitts Cruisers in Colorado they do alot of these swaps. I am hoping to do this in the future and have my wife carting the kids around in an 80 and biodiesel I make at home. (around $1 a gallon)

Chriscanoe

Observer
Mike,
My 1996 80 has 115 k miles on it. I have a 3" front, 2" rear, medium duty OME lift on it and run BFG AT/ta 285/55 on stock rims.
I get between 10-12 mpg in the city, and at best 15 highway mpg. I buy most of my parts online, as I am typically doing pm work rather than emergency repair work. I have had fair luck finding folks to work on all my land cruisers. I do some work myself, but it is not as much fun anymore with my time constraints. With your mechanical background however this should not be a problem. I do think you will find it difficult to find parts in small towns. As far as size goes, we are a family of 4, which suits us fine for light travel, but it can get a little tight for camping. I use my truck as a daily driver, and find it hard to be without. Out of all the cruisers I have had, this is by far the best for my use, though I do not go rock crawling/ mud bogging/ and xtreme 4 wheeling.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Here is my current situation, I currently own a 99XJ AW4/4.0 and a family of five. I am at the point prior to no return with the XJ and if I decide to stick with it I will be dropping a large sum of coin on the jeep and a trailer. Here is my dilemma I know the vehicle and its drive train as being an auto technician and attending a Chrysler auto program back many a years ago. Also I spent quite a few years working for a Toyota dealer wrenching at American in Albuquerque. So I understand both vehicles, and have experience working on both. I understand the XJ is a unibody hampering the payload capacity and I will address this issue if I keep it, but on the other hand the lighter weight produces better fuel economy if I leave the trailer. The abundance of 4.0L on the road in the US, and being realistic I'm not leaving the country anytime soon make parts availability for the jeep highly available. I really want to sell the jeep and pick up a 80 for the cargo capacity and the third row. I have taken many trips in the XJ and I will admit it is was very tight with only four of us, but now we are up to five and I fear that the confined conditions will make the trips not as enjoyable for the little ones as if we had more room. So to get to the point I'm looking for real world experience on the 80 from fuel economy to your experiences as far as parts availability in small towns. Ive been on the fence about this for a long time but haven't really discussed this with a actual owner that takes their vehicles the places I take mine. Also not looking for just vague "the LC is much better than the XJ, or Toyota is better than Chrylser products" if that's how you feel please feel free to share why.

Also I will stick with a OME/33's roof rack and armor front and rear. In addition I do know the build quality is superior on the 80.

Your post has 100 series written all over it

Klierslc

Explorer
I agree that the 100 series is another good choice, but in this particular case the OP is coming from a pretty well built XJ--giving up that capability and going all the way to an IFS front end may be a tough pill to swallow...

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I agree that the 100 series is another good choice, but in this particular case the OP is coming from a pretty well built XJ--giving up that capability and going all the way to an IFS front end may be a tough pill to swallow...

The OP ended the post with ...OME/33's roof rack and armor front and rear...IFS will not be the limiting factor.
Do forget a 100 series also has rear air.:wings:

baca327

Adventurer
Thank you everyone for the honest opinions, I am now looking for a 100 series :). I like the capability and frugality of the XJ but its not for me. With three little ones the ifs will not hamper our outings, we dont do anything just explore nowadays. I was on the fence but now I'm 100 destined, once again thank you and that was exactly the feedback I was looking for and expecting.

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Good call on the 100. Just got home from a trip in the 80 and it was pleasure every were except at the pump and freeway high mountain passes. Off the freeway and in the dirt it just doesn't get any better! If your looking for more space and mileage is a concern the 100 will give you more room and better MPGs then the 80 and with a V8. The 80 would be the perfect XJ replacement, capability and size are arguable, but the 100 definantly gives you more room and an even more refined interior. Good luck with the search.:sombrero:

coax

Adventurer
Yep I'd go with a 100 series as well. Having spent a bit of time in my buddies Cherokee (who now has a 100 series since having kids), I think the power/weight ratio of the 80series would be disappointing. The 100 series still does really well for its size off road, have good cargo capacity, and you can still find mods for them. Plus they've been around for a while so you can get a pricepoint from "I don't care if it gets beat up" all the way up to "please don't scratch me".

Klierslc

Explorer
The OP ended the post with ...OME/33's roof rack and armor front and rear...IFS will not be the limiting factor.
Do forget a 100 series also has rear air.:wings:

True on both counts--I would love to have rear air on the 80 and the 100 does seem to fit his stated needs pretty well.......until the front diff gives out (ducking for cover)

Not to beat that dead horse anymore--my vote goes for the 100.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
True on both counts--I would love to have rear air on the 80 and the 100 does seem to fit his stated needs pretty well.......until the front diff gives out (ducking for cover)

Not to beat that dead horse anymore--my vote goes for the 100.

80 head gaskets and 100 front diff are running neck and neck by my last count:sombrero:but it does not keep me from owning both:ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78