ThinkTank Hydrophobia Rain Cover Released

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
No affiliation with these guys, just love their equipment and when I saw this, I was drooling over it. Since much of our travel is in pretty harsh conditions, this would be a very good piece of equipment to keep in the rig on the next excursion

Full Press Release Here, but here are a few of the specs from ThinkTank!

The rain covers have the following key features:
• A clear window for viewing LCD and controls
• A fabric cover for the end of the lens.
• An eyepiece storage pocket (eyepieces sold separately)
• A breathable mesh bag for transportation and storage

Specifications

773225389_xwXoW-S.jpg

Hydrophobia 70-200

Dimensions: 7.5” W x 17” L x 5.5” D (19 x 43 x 14 cm)

Weight (rain cover only): 9.6 oz. (272 g)

Price: $139.00

Hydrophobia 70-200 Flash

Dimensions: 7.5” W x 17” L x 5.5” D (19 x 43 x 14 cm)

Weight (rain cover only): 13 oz. (367 g)

Price: $145.00

I'd love to hear from anyone who has either used this first hand or has one that can comment on the userability of it. When I save up enough to get mine, I'll be sure to post up a full review

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Looks great for the PNW. I wanted to shoot this weekend but it was pouring as usual.

Umbrella? I know it will not work for all subjects/conditions, but for landscape type work it is invaluable. Hard but not impossible to use single handed, with two people it is a snap.

I carry three umbrellas. One giant golf umbrella for when it is pouring, and two small lightweight ones to use if it is only drizzling. (One lightweight for over the open camera pack and one for over the camera.)

adrenaline503

Explorer
Umbrella? I know it will not work for all subjects/conditions, but for landscape type work it is invaluable. Hard but not impossible to use single handed, with two people it is a snap.

I carry three umbrellas. One giant golf umbrella for when it is pouring, and two small lightweight ones to use if it is only drizzling. (One lightweight for over the open camera pack and one for over the camera.)

I have tried that but since I live on the coast the rain is often wind driven. But youre right, it does provide a great solution when the conditions allow.

photoman

Explorer
Looks like a nice piece of gear but can't see spending that kind of money when a simple umbrella or other items can provide as much protection.

Based on the image the lens is still not really protected and nothing is a bigger PIA than water spots on your lens.

Here is a DIY solution.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Camera-Zip-lock/

Personally if it is raining that bad I use an umbrella or find an overhang to shoot under.

BeachBoy

I've had something like this for years!!!

This is last fall on a sailboat hundred of miles offshore in the Atlantic.

4244248696_330aeca3f4_b.jpg

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Beach Boy, that looks like a nice bag

What is the price on it? I'd love to compare them side-by-side. I'm a nut for product testing and comparing equipment

Maybe when I get my ThinkTank Hydrophobia, we can meet up and put both bags on a dead camera body I have and soak the two with a hose:snorkel:

BeachBoy

Beach Boy, that looks like a nice bag

What is the price on it? I'd love to compare them side-by-side. I'm a nut for product testing and comparing equipment

Maybe when I get my ThinkTank Hydrophobia, we can meet up and put both bags on a dead camera body I have and soak the two with a hose:snorkel:

I would say the thinktank is better constructed, they always over-engineer their products. The thing is that kata had it years before.

I've had huge splashes on the sailboat and it handled fine, although salt water drying on the lens was a real pain to clean... you can even see some on the picture above.

The kata E-690 is about $45, which IMO is a way better price/value ratio.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78